Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Spending their own money rather than take the taxpayers' money is not sacrifice? Which dictionary are you using?
They are living in public housing and we should pay to redecorate ALL public housing. I can think of a number of inner city projects which could use a good decorator.

(Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I am joking.)

Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
So you have no issue with footing the bill for Presidential date nights, no matter what the cost?

What if he and the First Lady decide they want to do this once or twice a month?

You have no issue with the fact that the POTUS has told us to tighten our belts while he lives it up?

Classic "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.

You may not agree with me, I might not agree with you, but at least for now we all still have the right to state our minds.
You are speculating about something that hasn't happened. Why not wait for the problem to actually appear before harping about it?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:13 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The Associated Press: Looks like a night on Broadway for first couple

Country in recession, GM declaring bankrupcy, millions have lost their jobs, millions struggling to pay their bills and keep their houses, obama spending trillions that we can't afford - "Everyone's going to have to give. Everyone's going to have to have some skin in the game." So says Obama.

Except of course for he and his wife. That's really the priority for obama - to be seen and admired. Disgusting, completely out of touch with reality.
I certainly think the cost of the trip should be known, after all he did suggest he was going to be more transparent.

However, your shrill cries of this great injustice fall a little flat considering the following, to which I have never seen you whisper an utterance to.

According to an August 2003 article in the Washington Post, President Bush has spent all or part of 166 days during his presidency at his Crawford, Texas, ranch or en route. Add the time spent at or en route to the presidential retreat of Camp David and at the Bush family estate in Kennebunkport, Maine, and Bush has taken 250 days off as of August 2003. That's 27% of his presidency spent on vacation. Although to be fair, much of this time is classified as a "working vacation."

So, at a time when America experienced its worst terrorist event and 3000+ Americans lost their life, Georgie boy decided to go burn some brush and work on his golf game.

Not a night at the opera, not dinner on Broadway, but absent for nearly 1/3 of his first term in office. Nice.

Imagine the kind of destruction Bush could have caused had he been on the job everyday... I shudder to think.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
They are living in public housing and we should pay to redecorate ALL public housing. I can think of a number of inner city projects which could use a good decorator.

(Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I am joking.)
I'm glad you clarified, because I have no idea what you mean, nor do I get the joke. Maybe a little more clarification?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
I have to know, were you guys this anal retentive & analytical when past presidents went out? I'm curious because this flipping thru articles looking for negative ones seems a bit redundant. And if traffic was backed up because the president was in town, hell I'd be excited! We had streets blocked off when Johnny Depp was in town filming, talk about fun!

Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I decided to take a break from CD and look at my local paper's website, and look what I found:

Daily Camera AP News
snippets from your link:

As the motorcade left the West Village and drove up Sixth Avenue to the theater, crowds of people, at times about eight deep, gathered on the sidewalks of the blockaded streets to wave as the Obamas passed. Some cheered. Cab drivers opened their doors and stood on the frames of their taxis to glimpse the president and first lady.

The White House declined to say how much the trip was costing taxpayers,

In an interview before his inauguration, Barack Obama said he and his wife like having "date nights," usually on Fridays. Since moving to Washington, the Obamas have managed to fit in at least a few nights out in the nation's capital.
------------------------------------------------------------

Blockaded streets -- traffic doesn't flow, NYPD sends in extra police to act as security at great expense to NYC taxpayers. W

Obama's 'transparency' The White House won't reveal what the trip cost.

The President has been in office 130 days. They've had a few date nights in Washington, DC and now one in NYC. What's to say they don't get a yen to hit Las Vegas and a few shows?

I understand the POTUS needs his own down time, but when he tells the taxpayer to tighten their belt, as our LEADER, shouldn't he LEAD by example?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So you have no issue with footing the bill for Presidential date nights, no matter what the cost?

What if he and the First Lady decide they want to do this once or twice a month?

You have no issue with the fact that the POTUS has told us to tighten our belts while he lives it up?

Classic "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.

You may not agree with me, I might not agree with you, but at least for now we all still have the right to state our minds.
You suggested the president pay for his own security and transportation. Kind of a kooky idea, don't you think?

Why should it be limited to dates with his wife? Why don't you demand he pay for all non- job related security and transportation?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You are speculating about something that hasn't happened. Why not wait for the problem to actually appear before harping about it?
It has already happened.

And the questions I asked which remain to be answered are:

Old 05-31-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have to know, were you guys this anal retentive & analytical when past presidents went out? I'm curious because this flipping thru articles looking for negative ones seems a bit redundant. And if traffic was backed up because the president was in town, hell I'd be excited! We had streets blocked off when Johnny Depp was in town filming, talk about fun!
The War on Traffic.

And it's all Obama's fault.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You suggested the president pay for his own security and transportation. Kind of a kooky idea, don't you think?

Why should it be limited to dates with his wife? Why don't you demand he pay for all non- job related security and transportation?

I asked the above questions, and instead of providing an answer, you merely asked another question.

So what are your answers to the questions I am asking a 2nd time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies