Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

New bill gives federal employees a cost of living raise...
while seniors and the disabled are getting letters from
the government explaining they will get no cost of living
raise due to no inflation.

House passes omnibus spending bill with pay raise, agency funding

December 11, 2009

... in the bill is a two percent pay raise for cost of living adjustment for federal employees...

Federal News Radio 1500 AM: House passes omnibus spending bill with pay raise, agency funding

~
and boy does this **** me off. I know why we do not get a cost of living increase and I can accept it. The formala that is used works out so the cost of living didn't go up for us. Why, because of gas prices, but seniors do not drive as much as people not retired. We do pay utilities, medical, food, etc and those things have all gone up...As I have mentioned before, yes, I can accept no increase, but I can not accept the federal employees getting raises. That is what is blowing my mind.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, you are wrong on this one. I know this thread is old. Most government workers, certainly clerical workers make as much if not more than they would on the outside and have better benefits.
No, Nita, <chielgirl> was right on the money. The $70K+ statistics that <JennySquirrel> quoted were including the cost of benefits. She misrepresented those as being for basic salary.

The fed-private salary differential can go either way, depending on the position you are talking about. Positions that are in high demand within government such as economists and accountants may be paid more (though they would tend to be higher-credentialed than in the private sector also), while less urgent positions such as those in HR or finance may tend to be paid less. Overall, the pay for comparable work is compensated within the federal sector at rates of 15-20% less than in the private sector. Some contend that the satisfaction from public service, the often more interesting nature of the work, and the relative protection from dismissal without cause make up for the difference. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Quote:
Been there, done that, both hubby and myself plus many of my family.
Your sample size is still a little on the small side.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,589 times
As a federal employee I was stunned to hear we got another 2% raise...with so many folks out of work.

I was equally shocked to see my property taxes (evaluation) went up when the home prices are so much lower than last year...

Old 12-12-2009, 01:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Bub, it's 1.5%; 5% goes toward locality pay.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
and boy does this **** me off. I know why we do not get a cost of living increase and I can accept it. The formala that is used works out so the cost of living didn't go up for us. Why, because of gas prices, but seniors do not drive as much as people not retired. We do pay utilities, medical, food, etc and those things have all gone up...As I have mentioned before, yes, I can accept no increase, but I can not accept the federal employees getting raises. That is what is blowing my mind.
Nita
Assuming that you were on SS or a federal pension a year ago, gas prices worked in your favor. The fact that pump prices went over $4 per gallon in the summer of 2008 brought you a hefty 5.8% increase in 2009, even though gas prices had hit $1.50 per gallon by the time New Year's rolled around. I didn't hear any complaints back then. This year, the other shoe drops. Meanwhile, if you put the standard federal employee pay raises for the past two years together (3.9 + 2.0), you'll see that the totals are comparable to your own (5.8 + 0.0), but you got your money sooner.

Meanwhile, over the 12 months ended this past October 31, prices for food at home were down by 2.8%. Electricity was down by 0.6% and natural gas service was down by 24.0%. Medical services were indeed up, but by a modest by recent standards 3.2%.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you obviously think that this can continue and i am here to tell you that it will not. even government workers are not going to be immune from the financial downturn, no matter what you think. where do you think they derive their paychecks?
do you suggest that everyone become a government worker? how would that work exactly??
Yes, I believe that you should stop making things up and begin to present accurate data.
Government employees pay taxes.
They work for 15-20% less than private sector equivalents.
Government workers take hits every time there's a financial downturn.
They're the first to take hits.

Stop with the r/w talking points and do some research before you pop in with your emotional points honed by Limbaugh.

Here's how the median is calculated: News Articles: Debating "Average" Federal Salary Figures

This stuff is not difficult to research, you ought to try it.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Bub, it's 1.5%; 5% goes toward locality pay.
Go where it may...it still looks like 2% on my paycheck! Is it not odd that most of the HIGH GSs Grades are in the expensive areas?

When will they move out of WASHINGTON DC and into the hills of WV? Out of Lakewood Colorado and out to Limon...or better yet..East Kansas?

Old 12-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Unless you're working in a high locality area, it won't.

BRAC has done what you mentioned; DA IMCOM has moved to San Antonio.
It costs more to move a federal agency than it does to keep it where it is.
As you may be aware, government services are usually required in large cities where the population lives.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Bub

Quote:
Unless you're working in a high locality area, it won't.

BRAC has done what you mentioned; DA IMCOM has moved to San Antonio.
It costs more to move a federal agency than it does to keep it where it is.
As you may be aware, government services are usually required in large cities where the population lives.

I am aware but FEDERAL SERVICES dont need to be in the good part of an expensive city.. WHERE WE END UP PAYING MORE FOR THE SAME SERVICES!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe that you should stop making things up and begin to present accurate data.
Government employees pay taxes.
They work for 15-20% less than private sector equivalents.
Government workers take hits every time there's a financial downturn.
They're the first to take hits.

Stop with the r/w talking points and do some research before you pop in with your emotional points honed by Limbaugh.

Here's how the median is calculated: News Articles: Debating "Average" Federal Salary Figures

This stuff is not difficult to research, you ought to try it.
first of all i have no idea why a thread from may was pulled up.

second, in USA today, december 11, 2009 we have this:
USA Today is reporting that the number of federal workers making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession’s first 18 months — and that’s doesn’t include overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

The highest-paid federal employees are doing best of all on salary increases. Defense Department civilian employees earning $150,000 or more increased from 1,868 in December 2007 to 10,100 in June 2009, the most recent figure available.

The trend to six-figure salaries is occurring throughout the federal government, in agencies big and small, high-tech and low-tech. The primary cause: substantial pay raises and new salary rules. The growth in six-figure salaries has pushed the average federal worker’s pay to $71,206, compared with $40,331 in the private sector.

Remember that government is a burden on the private sector. Without the private sector there to pay for government, the government can’t exist. So government employees pulling wages that are zeroing in on double what the private sector makes is not only unconscionable it’s bad economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies