U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,921 posts, read 8,367,366 times
Reputation: 2053

Advertisements

Facts are facts Tambintime. The simple Fact is that there is NOTHING consitutionally to stop the implementation of a UHC in America. The Govt has already done that with medicare and guess what not one single legal objection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,921 posts, read 8,367,366 times
Reputation: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, many have objected over the years about Social Security and later Medicare.

And I will respectfully disagree with you in that, IF the Federal Government tries to MANDATE health insurance through a Government program, it will be legally challenged by a majority of states.

Any number of states are also passing legislation to allow their citizens the right to opt out of any such mandated federal system.

This is one of the reasons that the Congress with not pass changes in the health care system that would MANDATE insurance for everyone - Any changes will allow health insurance to be VOLUNTARY.

BTW, would YOU support putting the issue of a UHC to a vote of the people??
There isn't a single thing that you will not get people objecting to.
If the Govt puts a tax into place to fund a UHC then there is absolutely nothing the states can do to stop a federal tax.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,106 posts, read 37,177,128 times
Reputation: 4924
IF health insurance remains VOLUNTARY, you are probably right Geereo

Remember - Medicare is voluntary
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,106 posts, read 37,177,128 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There isn't a single thing that you will not get people objecting to.
If the Govt puts a tax into place to fund a UHC then there is absolutely nothing the states can do to stop a federal tax.
Will health insurance remain VOLUNTARY??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,921 posts, read 8,367,366 times
Reputation: 2053
A UHC will come to the USA. Australia had the same problems as America with people objecting to a UHC. It went ahead and now Australians love the health system.
The Govt can mandate a UHC as easily as House taxes or any Govt tax.
Once the health reforms start it will do as it does in every country that has gone to a UHC, it will implement a UHC paid for by every tax payer.
Obama is not stupid and he knows that he must do it step by step and it wil snowball.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,106 posts, read 37,177,128 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
A UHC will come to the USA. Australia had the same problems as America with people objecting to a UHC. It went ahead and now Australians love the health system.
The Govt can mandate a UHC as easily as House taxes or any Govt tax.
Once the health reforms start it will do as it does in every country that has gone to a UHC, it will implement a UHC paid for by every tax payer.
Obama is not stupid and he knows that he must do it step by step and it wil snowball.
Are you advocating a MANDATORY HEALTH CARE system Geeoro?

And, would you support having a referedum and vote of the American citizens on the issue?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,921 posts, read 8,367,366 times
Reputation: 2053
Are you having a problem reading my posts Greatday?
YES i am advocating a tax to pay for a UHC and like ALL taxes it will be mandatory. I know there are some who would much rather pay a fortune for personal good health care than pay a much smaller sum for a UHC with healthcare for every citizen but you get Selfish people everywhere i suppose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,106 posts, read 37,177,128 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Are you having a problem reading my posts Greatday?
YES i am advocating a tax to pay for a UHC and like ALL taxes it will be mandatory.
Please - stop being so rude in your posts. Yes, I read your posts.

But, what you are doing is equating "paying a tax" being the same as someone HAVING TO ENROLL in the insurance program.

Remember, while some may pay a medicare tax, enrolling in medicare is not mandatory.

What I am asking is, even if someone pays a tax, will they also be REQUIRED (mandatory) to also enroll in the health insurance?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,921 posts, read 8,367,366 times
Reputation: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Please - stop being so rude in your posts. Yes, I read your posts.

But, what you are doing is equating "paying a tax" being the same as someone HAVING TO ENROLL in the insurance program.

Remember, while some may pay a medicare tax, enrolling in medicare is not mandatory.

What I am asking is, even if someone pays a tax, will they also be REQUIRED (mandatory) to also enroll in the health insurance?
Greatday why do you accuse people of being rude or harrasing you or personally attacking you whenever something is said you do not like.
I have constantly said that i believe a UHC should be payed for by a tax. I am sure that you understand that a Federal tax IS mandatory. You persist in asking me a question that i have already answered. You have called me a liar in previous posts., Your thin skin really is getting tedious now.
We are NOT talking about private insurance, medicare, medicade or any voluntary health system. We are talking about a Govt run UNIVERSAL health care system. This means that it is funded the same way the roads and highways are funded, by taxation. This means that it is payed for by every tax payer. That means YOU,ME and everyone who pays tax. That also means that EVERY single American Citizen and Resident WILL get good health care. I know some hate the thought of EVERY American getting good health care but this is 2009 not 1769.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,106 posts, read 37,177,128 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
We are NOT talking about private insurance, medicare, medicade or any voluntary health system. We are talking about a Govt run UNIVERSAL health care system. This means that it is funded the same way the roads and highways are funded, by taxation. This means that it is payed for by every tax payer. That means YOU,ME and everyone who pays tax. That also means that EVERY single American Citizen and Resident WILL get good health care. I know some hate the thought of EVERY American getting good health care but this is 2009 not 1769.
I'm not arguing health care. I was asking you however if it would be MANDATORY for every American to take this health insurance program you prescribe merely because they pay a tax for it.

Again, the analogy is, while most Americans pay a tax for Medicare, they are not obligated to enroll in Medicare - they are not obligated to use Medicare. So, although Medicare is funded by taxation - not everyone uses it.

Likewise, and what I was trying to get you to respond to is, even though someone pays a tax for the UHC program you prescribe, would YOU, GEEREO, if you were in charge, MANDATE that everyone also enroll in your program?

Also, and this is a vital issue related to the UHC program you prescribe to - is how do you get everyone to pay into the program (tax). Right or wrong, not everyone pays taxes. Some Americans have tax free income. Some unlawfully, do not even file tax returns.

This leads to the question, if someone does not pay taxes (lawfully or unlawfully), would they be prohibited from enrolling in the UHC program you ascribe to?

These are but a couple of the 1000's and 1000's of questions / issues that would have to be dealt with
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top