Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:59 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Aside from your attempt to personally attack me, the FACT remains, the Government has no constitutional authority to run a health care system.

End of story.
The government has the constitutional authority to stop companies from ripping off and bankrupting the American public.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I'm sure the founding fathers were not referring to UnitedHealthCare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
superk, I'm very sorry to here this! Very very tragic and it should not happen that way. My wife is not in dire straights as your wife but may in a few, but praying it will never happen. I'm sure many thoughts have gone through your mind over and over again in planning what to do but finding a barrier or wall standing in your way at every angle. My wife even told me that maybe she should move out, get a divorce, become destitute in order to collect SSI and medicaid, freeing me up to pursue happiness with someone else. After nearly 30 years together I will never let that happen. superk, does your wife qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance? If so she then qualifies for medicare. My wife worked for 28 years and is qualified and we are fighting like hell to get it, its been 3 years now but she will get it if it's the last thing I ever do.
I consider the fact that we no longer live together as qualifiying for the moving out part. Divorce is something we both agreed to a long time ago, but I have some real deep concerns about cutting her out of my insurance. I don't trust that Medicare/Medicaid will be able to provide the necessary levels of care. She has Medicare Part A. They will not give her Part B as long as I have her on my health insurance policy. The Part A provides and pays for absolutely nothing. Here's some examples:

- power chair. I had to pay 100% out-of-pocket. I've had to pay 100% of all of the maintenance and repair issues.
- wheelchair. 100% out-of-pocket.
- bedside commode. 100% out-of-pocket.
- elevated toilet seat. 100% out-of-pocket.
- shower chair. 100% out-of-pocket.
- safety grab bars. 100% out-of-pocket.

I asked for help to cover expenses to convert some rooms in the house to offer better access. Denied. In-home care. Denied. Hospice care. Denied. Adult Daycare. Denied. Wheelchair conversion van - not even going to comment. Now that she's out of the house, I asked for some financial assistance to help me un-do all the accessability changes, as well as to help me fix all of the damage. Needless to say, denied.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I consider the fact that we no longer live together as qualifiying for the moving out part. Divorce is something we both agreed to a long time ago, but I have some real deep concerns about cutting her out of my insurance. I don't trust that Medicare/Medicaid will be able to provide the necessary levels of care. She has Medicare Part A. They will not give her Part B as long as I have her on my health insurance policy. The Part A provides and pays for absolutely nothing. Here's some examples:

- power chair. I had to pay 100% out-of-pocket. I've had to pay 100% of all of the maintenance and repair issues.
- wheelchair. 100% out-of-pocket.
- bedside commode. 100% out-of-pocket.
- elevated toilet seat. 100% out-of-pocket.
- shower chair. 100% out-of-pocket.
- safety grab bars. 100% out-of-pocket.

I asked for help to cover expenses to convert some rooms in the house to offer better access. Denied. In-home care. Denied. Hospice care. Denied. Adult Daycare. Denied. Wheelchair conversion van - not even going to comment. Now that she's out of the house, I asked for some financial assistance to help me un-do all the accessability changes, as well as to help me fix all of the damage. Needless to say, denied.
Have you written your State congressman and senator? Have you considered writing your local news outlets? Another words make a huge fuss. It forces people to game the system which is a damn shame. I've talked to a couple whose wife was very ill so they separated and divorced. She finally received her SSDI and medicare after receiving SSI and medicaid after some time. It took her 5 years to receive her benefits that she paid for for decades. They moved back together again but unmarried. They were married for 35 years with 3 kids. This is absolutely a short sighted stupid system that hurts many people, not just the sick. It doesn't benefit anyone, that I can see, with a system that supposed to be the best in the world by allowing whole families to collapse in economic turmoil. Boy, what a bunch of saps Americans are. But not for long..............................

Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Can someone show me the amendment in the constitution to allow medicare or aide.
There is no need for a constitutional amendment for the Govt. to start a UHC.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The government has the constitutional authority to stop companies from ripping off and bankrupting the American public.
The problem with your hypothesis is, you have no definition of what "ripping off" means.

The other problem is, the government actually does NOT have the authority to stop these companies.

It is a private matter between the companies and its customers. Or, to put it another way, that is what the courts are for.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There is no need for a constitutional amendment for the Govt. to start a UHC.
You are mistaken Geeoro.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
You are mistaken Geeoro.
Please show me the part in the constitution that has been amended to allow medicare etc.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Please show me the part in the constitution that has been amended to allow medicare etc.
Many Constitutional Scholars have said that MEDICARE is not constitutionally allowed.

I might suggest Geeoro you read the 10th Amendment to OUR Constitution - And study it - research it.

Because ONLY if you have a good working knowledge of the 10th can you possibly even BEGIN to understand OUR laws.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Many Constitutional Scholars have said that MEDICARE is not constitutionally allowed.

I might suggest Geeoro you read the 10th Amendment to OUR Constitution - And study it - research it.

Because ONLY if you have a good working knowledge of the 10th can you possibly even BEGIN to understand OUR laws.
Oh isee so it is NOT allowed. How come it is up and running ? This must mean that a UHC would be ok too. Don't give me this B/S about constitutional scholars. We are talking about the real world here and it is obvious that Govt run health schemes are and can be set up in the USA.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:

And yet, we have it.

Maybe your "Scholars" aren't so knowledgable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies