Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

John Dickerson describes at least four brands of Republicans

Which are you; The Conservative Snarler, The Avuncular CEO, The GOP Moderate in Agreement or The Wise Moderate?

Sorting through the various roles and players in the Republican Party. - By John Dickerson - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
John Dickerson describes at least four brands of Republicans

Which are you; The Conservative Snarler, The Avuncular CEO, The GOP Moderate in Agreement or The Wise Moderate?

Sorting through the various roles and players in the Republican Party. - By John Dickerson - Slate Magazine
First, I have to say that I consider Slate a bit more than just a bit left. This article doesn't have any spot for me to place myself in. I say that because although I intended to pay my annual dues to the Party I have developed an attitude of wait and see. I will let the Senators of my Party determine whether I remain one of them. If they go at the Sotomayor questioning, as they should, I will probably pay my dues. If not I will become a man without a party since I have been ex-Democrat since 1972 and will be an ex-Republican if they don't question her at least as tough as the Dems did with Alito and Estrada.

I just didn't see a description of me in that article.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Im glad someone has done this job! Thanks for posting it Ovcatto.

roysoldboy, those Avuncular CEO and Wise Moderate types are only cautioning against the Snarlers' crude harassment of Sotomayor so as not to alienate the Hispanic vote (any further).

Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
First, I have to say that I consider Slate a bit more than just a bit left. This article doesn't have any spot for me to place myself in. I say that because although I intended to pay my annual dues to the Party I have developed an attitude of wait and see. I will let the Senators of my Party determine whether I remain one of them. If they go at the Sotomayor questioning, as they should, I will probably pay my dues. If not I will become a man without a party since I have been ex-Democrat since 1972 and will be an ex-Republican if they don't question her at least as tough as the Dems did with Alito and Estrada.

I just didn't see a description of me in that article.
Good article, although I think there's another strong wing in the GOP that maybe sometimes gets grouped in along with the "snarlers", but doesn't really have any clear spokesmen like the rest. And that's the Social/Cultural/Religious Conservatives that are also such a key part of "the base". "Roy", is that what you're talking about?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And that's the Social/Cultural/Religious Conservatives that are also such a key part of "the base". "Roy", is that what you're talking about?
The Repressed Fruits and nuts, perhaps?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
A liberal website's chief political writer is hardly qualified to define any member of the GOP.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
A liberal website's chief political writer is hardly qualified to define any member of the GOP.
It's working for us.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Im glad someone has done this job! Thanks for posting it Ovcatto.

roysoldboy, those Avuncular CEO and Wise Moderate types are only cautioning against the Snarlers' crude harassment of Sotomayor so as not to alienate the Hispanic vote (any further).
NO. They are backing down just in hope of getting Hispanic votes. They don't care about our country, only about their jobs. They are all Arlen Spectors and I can't stand that kind of crap. I don't think there will be 10 Republicans who will vote against her confirmation but they should hit her hard with questions to make sure that the "honest" Democrats hear the real story.

I guess you have forgotten how the Dems acted with Roberts and Alito and how they used the filibuster to force Estrada into withdrawing. Do you know which of them Obama voted in favor of?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's working for us.
Of course it is. Good doggie, here's you biscuit.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Good article, although I think there's another strong wing in the GOP that maybe sometimes gets grouped in along with the "snarlers", but doesn't really have any clear spokesmen like the rest. And that's the Social/Cultural/Religious Conservatives that are also such a key part of "the base". "Roy", is that what you're talking about?
I surely don't belong to the religious part of that group so I guess that is not me. From the death of George Tiller today I have to say that the killer was probably a religious kook who killed a man in a church during the service. I just can't go with that, at all. I am not in favor of abortion but don't think that any of us has a right to tell a woman she can't have one. My first wife had one 4 years before we met and it hurt her bad as far as her attitude was concerned. She just couldn't take a chance of having a baby because of what she had done to her first one. Psychological damage is what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies