Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which States Will Secede From The Union?
ALABAMA 23 32.39%
ALASKA 23 32.39%
ARIZONA 20 28.17%
ARKANSAS 15 21.13%
CALIFORNIA 11 15.49%
COLORADO 7 9.86%
CONNECTICUT 4 5.63%
DELAWARE 5 7.04%
FLORIDA 17 23.94%
GEORGIA 22 30.99%
HAWAII 11 15.49%
IDAHO 17 23.94%
ILLINOIS 5 7.04%
INDIANA 7 9.86%
IOWA 7 9.86%
KANSAS 15 21.13%
KENTUCKY 17 23.94%
LOUISIANA 18 25.35%
MAINE 6 8.45%
MARYLAND 4 5.63%
MASSACHUSETTS 5 7.04%
MICHIGAN 4 5.63%
MINNESOTA 5 7.04%
MISSISSIPPI 20 28.17%
MISSOURI 14 19.72%
MONTANA 24 33.80%
NEBRASKA 15 21.13%
NEVADA 9 12.68%
NEW HAMPSHIRE 7 9.86%
NEW JERSEY 5 7.04%
NEW MEXICO 12 16.90%
NEW YORK 5 7.04%
NORTH CAROLINA 16 22.54%
NORTH DAKOTA 17 23.94%
OHIO 4 5.63%
OKLAHOMA 19 26.76%
OREGON 6 8.45%
PENNSLYVANIA 5 7.04%
RHODE ISLAND 4 5.63%
SOUTH CAROLINA 22 30.99%
SOUTH DAKOTA 15 21.13%
TENNESSEE 22 30.99%
TEXAS 48 67.61%
UTAH 15 21.13%
VERMONT 8 11.27%
VIRGINIA 11 15.49%
WASHINGTON 6 8.45%
WEST VIRGINIA 12 16.90%
WISCONSIN 5 7.04%
WYOMING 20 28.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You should know how demeaning and insulting your statement about our "Affirmative Action President" is. I will stop short of calling it bigotry, but rest assured it lingers on the tip of my tongue.

If you haven't noticed, President Obama is extremely intelligent (even if you disagree with his philosophy). He earned his way into both Columbia and Harvard. He was elected editor of the prestigious Harvard Law Review. He was hired to teach Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago, another one of the best universities in the world.

He earned the votes of millions because he proved, over the course of a long campaign, that he grasped the issues and proposed reasonable solutions.

Even if someone, at some point, said "Hey, we need more black people!", in the upper echelons of academia or government, one has to stand on his own feet to reach the levels he did. Jesse Jackson certainly didn't get anywhere being black.

Let's rise above this vitriolic language. It has no place in a mature discussion.
If you find the term "Affirmative Action President" demeaning that is your problem, not mine. It is a verifiable fact that all minorities and women in the US are recipients of Affirmative Action, whether they like it or not, because your government does not think they are capable of functioning in society without government assistance.

This is the form of government discrimination the President's own political party created and endorses, so let him wear the mantle he deserves as "Affirmative Action President." He earned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I don't recall secession talk with any other administration.
Obama really is special.
Well yeah, because the racist contingent of this country is afraid of a black president. I've never once heard anyone calling for secession who was not a white person.

That being said, I don't really believe that the union as a whole is truly that effective anyways, the states need more individual freedom to make their own decisions. If Texas wants to spend tons of money on a border fence and to fight gay marriage, they can do it while Vermont legalizes gay marriages and opens its borders to everyone. It makes a lot more sense to allow states to dictate the rights of their people instead of a government 2500 miles away (in the case of California) trying to please 300,000,000 people.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Rude jerk? This question has been asked many times before and no offense,I don't care who asks it. That's like asking when Florida is going to whip out the chain saw and cut away from the united states as they float away into the ocean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Interloper/997d6a2dfb33b69bc6c71fae6c5d5848eef.gif (broken link)

Old 06-01-2009, 03:25 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If you find the term "Affirmative Action President" demeaning that is your problem, not mine. It is a verifiable fact that all minorities and women in the US are recipients of Affirmative Action, whether they like it or not, because your government does not think they are capable of functioning in society without government assistance.

This is the form of government discrimination the President's own political party created and endorses, so let him wear the mantle he deserves as "Affirmative Action President." He earned it.
That's not true and you're simply showing your true colors as a racist. Affirmative Action doesn't make all blacks somehow more advantageous in this country, and Obama certainly didn't have the presidency handed to him. He ran a good campaign, was running against nobody (didn't matter who the GOP nominated, after Bush's term ended there was no chance of a GOP win) and schools like Occidental, Dartmouth and Harvard are PRIVATE AND DO NOT HAVE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. Seriously, calling him "affirmative action president" says a lot about you and your feelings about black people and absolutely nothing about him.

For the record, I am a registered Republican, voted for Ron Paul in the Primary and Bob Barr in the general election and wrote blogs on why I did not support Barack Obama...but my reasons were not based in racism like yours. They were based in an analysis of his policies and his political career, and you never saw a mention of Affirmative Action or anything related to his race anywhere in my posts.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:28 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
In the event that states start seceding from the union, which states do you think will do so?
I thought it was fun checking all fifty boxes, better than having a single "select all" check box.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
That's not true and you're simply showing your true colors as a racist. Affirmative Action doesn't make all blacks somehow more advantageous in this country, and Obama certainly didn't have the presidency handed to him. He ran a good campaign, was running against nobody (didn't matter who the GOP nominated, after Bush's term ended there was no chance of a GOP win) and schools like Occidental, Dartmouth and Harvard are PRIVATE AND DO NOT HAVE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. Seriously, calling him "affirmative action president" says a lot about you and your feelings about black people and absolutely nothing about him.

For the record, I am a registered Republican, voted for Ron Paul in the Primary and Bob Barr in the general election and wrote blogs on why I did not support Barack Obama...but my reasons were not based in racism like yours. They were based in an analysis of his policies and his political career, and you never saw a mention of Affirmative Action or anything related to his race anywhere in my posts.
I never mentioned race once, nor did I make any references to blacks. You made those references, not I, just so you could pull your fictious "racist" card. Either that, or you are incapable of comprehending that when I said "all minorities and women in the US are recipients of Affirmative Action" it also included Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and every woman regardless of race. So that makes you either a race-baiter, or a moron. Take your pick.

If you don't like the stigma associated with the label of Affirmative Action Recipient, abolish the government mandated discrimination. Otherwise, live with the consequences of a government that thinks every minority and women in the US is incapable of making it without government help. You cannot have it both ways.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
. Otherwise, live with the consequences of a government that thinks every minority and women in the US is incapable of making it without government help. You cannot have it both ways.

Thats not what anyone is asking for. Furthermore, Affirmative Action had nothing to do with Barack Obama getting elected. This was a free and fair election that saw this man campaign all across the nation and a majority of voters voting him into the White House.

So where did he use Affirmative Action to become the President? Was the vote total "handicapped" for him? Please explain your reasoning (if applicable).

Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
First, to the Originator of this thread: Thanks for all the hard work it took to do the survey. And, thanks for the thread - it is an interesting and timely topic.

I think that there are any number of states may in fact, elect to secede:

Texas and Montana are almost a certainty. Alaska and West Virginia are closely behind IMO.

And, I do not think they will be alone making such moves - there is a strong under current of discontent in this country IMO.

I also believe that a movement is starting to express discontent with the monetary policies of the US - and it would not surprise me if large numbers of people, millions even, refused to pay their income taxes - to the point where the Federal Government could not prosecute them all -

Craig T. Nelson, the Actor, has been quite vocal on this issue -

YouTube - Craig T. Nelson: I'm going to quit paying my taxes to protest government unaccountability

Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM

37,173 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
I never mentioned race once, nor did I make any references to blacks. You made those references, not I, just so you could pull your fictious "racist" card. Either that, or you are incapable of comprehending that when I said "all minorities and women in the US are recipients of Affirmative Action" it also included Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and every woman regardless of race. So that makes you either a race-baiter, or a moron. Take your pick.

If you don't like the stigma associated with the label of Affirmative Action Recipient, abolish the government mandated discrimination. Otherwise, live with the consequences of a government that thinks every minority and women in the US is incapable of making it without government help. You cannot have it both ways.
A close friend of mine who I grew up with is caucasian and could not afford to pay her tuition at the University of South Carolina. She benefitted from AA because of her race.

She applied for a scholarship at S.C State in Orangeburg, a predominantly black college, and was accepted because in that student body the fact that she was white meant that she was a minority and they needed her. She commuted 120 miles round trip three times a week for three years and is currently teaching school.

Without AA she would definitely be in a lesser job and possibly on assistance of some sort. She used it for what it was intended to be, a helping hand for those who have no other chance.

Your point is?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
LOL states are going to secede. What a sad joke.

The Republicans aren't competent enough to secede, but they can complain like a teen age girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies