U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
 
1,557 posts, read 2,418,318 times
Reputation: 2122

Advertisements

According to Lou Dobbs, the understaffed and overworked Consumer Product Safety Commission recently recalled 63 products made in China, many of them children's toys that contained lead.

What was Mr. Bush's response? He cut the CPSC budget.

Presently the FDA can only inspect 1% of imports.

Not only have we outsourced valuable American jobs, but we have lost control of the ability to monitor product safety.

Here is a link to the recall site:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prerel.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,495 posts, read 25,191,954 times
Reputation: 8896
Thumbs down lovely-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
According to Lou Dobbs, the understaffed and overworked Consumer Product Safety Commission recently recalled 63 products made in China, many of them children's toys that contained lead.

What was Mr. Bush's response? He cut the CPSC budget.

Presently the FDA can only inspect 1% of imports.

Not only have we outsourced valuable American jobs, but we have lost control of the ability to monitor product safety.

Here is a link to the recall site:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prerel.html

CVS and others still sell lead containing mugs as well. Nice to know we are so protected [NOT].
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
 
9,205 posts, read 9,872,381 times
Reputation: 2695
Hey, its about time there is a cut somewhere! this could be just the thing to kick off Ralph Naders next campaign!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
 
23,635 posts, read 43,692,601 times
Reputation: 24986
Give all this tainted crap to the people who insist that "less government is best government."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
 
1,557 posts, read 2,418,318 times
Reputation: 2122
[quote=Mike from back east;562446]Give all this tainted crap to the people who insist that "less government is best government."
LOL
Mike, only you could have thought of that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM
 
7,379 posts, read 7,220,063 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Give all this tainted crap to the people who insist that "less government is best government."
I'll take it. I pride myself on being able to care for myself instead of depending upon the government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
 
23,635 posts, read 43,692,601 times
Reputation: 24986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'll take it. I pride myself on being able to care for myself instead of depending upon the government.
Suits me. If you wanna buy that tainted crap for your kids, go for it. If you wanna buy that tainted pet food for your pet, go for it. How is the average person going to know if it's tainted? Got to have a watchdog of some sort looking out for the defenseless. The Chinese will poison us in a heartbeat, just like the old meatpackers used to do, as chronicled in The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Government intervention is needed to take the ragged edges off capitalism, it's not about 'depending' on Uncle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Naples
1,247 posts, read 804,334 times
Reputation: 344
If you place your trust in government...sigh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
 
7,379 posts, read 7,220,063 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Suits me. If you wanna buy that tainted crap for your kids, go for it. If you wanna buy that tainted pet food for your pet, go for it. How is the average person going to know if it's tainted? Got to have a watchdog of some sort looking out for the defenseless. The Chinese will poison us in a heartbeat, just like the old meatpackers used to do, as chronicled in The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Government intervention is needed to take the ragged edges off capitalism, it's not about 'depending' on Uncle.
Certainly you don't think that the government inspects all products sold in the U.S.. Since they don't, why do we have so few incidents of this type? Because a tainted products causes a company to fail, in other words capitalism and the free market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
 
23,635 posts, read 43,692,601 times
Reputation: 24986
If you place your trust in Enron...lying Wall Street analysts...Global Crossings...Tyco...Arthur Anderson...Hooker Chemical (Love Canal)...big tobacco...big oil...lobbyists...real estate scammers.... sigh...

I'll trust in watchdogs if they are not shackled by limitations imposed by creeps like Bush and Rove who'd gut our protections in a minute as a favor to corporate cronies and campaign donors. We are a laughing stock because of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top