Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,780,399 times

Advertisements

Hopefully DOMA will be repealed. There is already a lawsuit being filed on behalf of same-sex couples who are married in the state of Massachusetts.
They are fighting for federal recognition, that way they are entitled to federal benefits of marriage.

GLAD Challenges DOMA Section 3 > The Lawsuit | GLAD

I would hope that when DOMA is repealed, it will recognize same-sex marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships.
I think a big part of why people are fighting over the word "marriage" in many states is because they think once DOMA is repealed, it will ONLY recognize same-sex marriages and not domestic partnerships or civil unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,923,536 times
He didn't wait until the end of bush's term.

Cheney at odds with Bush on gay marriage - Politics- msnbc.com

He also made mention in his VP debate in 2000.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:05 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,459,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday he supports gays being able to marry but believes states, not the federal government, should make the decision.
"I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone," Cheney said in a speech at the National Press Club. "I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish, any kind of arrangement they wish."
Cheney, who has a gay daughter, said marriage has always been a state issue.

Cheney on gay marriage: 'Freedom for everyone'
Hard to be an ******* when your kid is a homosexual.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,143,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
if it's a states issue, then why isn't he advocating the removal of doma laws, which are a federal movement in hindering gays married in one state from being able to claim recognition of their marriage if they move to another state that doesn't have it...
Seems states want to regulate their stance on the populace, rather than just not issueing state marriage licenses to gays...
if california doesn't want to issue gay marriages, fine.. it won't be issued by the state of california..
but what about someone from iowa moving to california? should california be able to strip them of their marriage status?
last time I checked we're the UNITED STATES...
while insightful and great of cheney to admit to the issue of freedom, but don't pass the buck by not addressing the whole issue, and the federal governments role...
Um, he's not in the government anymore, and has no power within the political system to "pass the buck". The new guy Obama holds all the cards now. Why don't you ask his administration the same question?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,669,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Um, he's not in the government anymore, and has no power within the political system to "pass the buck". The new guy Obama holds all the cards now. Why don't you ask his administration the same question?
I hate to have to keep pointing this out, especially since I am no Cheney fan, but the guy was pretty up front about his views since way before Bush left office. This is not exactly new, and those of you who keep saying that it's somehow "safe" for him to express this particular viewpoint now that Bush isn't in office need to realize that he's been doing so for years.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,445 times
I did'nt know the man had a heart....«bravo» Mr. Cheney!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,712,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He didn't wait until the end of bush's term.

Cheney at odds with Bush on gay marriage - Politics- msnbc.com

He also made mention in his VP debate in 2000.
Oh but John Edwards was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad baaaaaaaaaaaaaad man for mentioning it in the debates ...

What a crock o doodie.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,848,266 times
Fine for Cheney. When there is a vote on gay marriage where he lives, his vote will count evenly with everyone else....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies