Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we ever recover from 8 years of the most inept and duplicitous administration in history, or is
We are already recovering, don't you see the GREEN SHOOTS? 5 9.62%
We will recover our dominance, but it will take more than 3 years 6 11.54%
We will recover our dominance, but it will take more than 5 years 12 23.08%
We will never recover our world economic dominance 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,854,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudynm View Post
Cat, we're already seeing improvements in some areas, give it some time, it will take time to repair 8 years of damage, we first must remove the rust crust and get it down to bare metal.
You got to be kidding! Another master of economics who thinks printing money will get us out of this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,611,405 times
I don't know about you, but we were much better off the day before Bush left office than we were the day he took office. Since Obama took over we are experiencing an economic downturn on stocks that almost never go down and my husband's job has gone to Mexico and I expect inflation to hit us any minute. So don't bad mouth the Bush years to me, although I did not vote for him ever.

There may be a recovery, but I am not holding my breath expecting it to happen. I just hope we don't end up a communist country.

As for Carter: I remember starting to buy hot dogs for my children when he was in office and the lady standing next to me was buying them also. I mentioned what a good price they were and she told me that she was buying them for her dog because she could not buy dog food with her food stamps. If I hadn't had to pay for her dogs food, maybe I would have had money to buy better food for my children. I used to be a Democrat and I am all for having everybody eat in the United States, but I think more people should get out and work to pay for what they eat. It gets a little old and charity should begin at home; not in the neighbors doghouse.

Last edited by NCN; 06-02-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,834,712 times
I find it laughable that so many posters think it has only been 8 years of screw ups. It has been several decades of continuous screw ups. Both parties blow our money, and the only thing we fight about is what they are blowing it on.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
we were never dominate. we have been letting other countries sell here for 30 years. there never was world trade, only world dumping.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,902,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Right here.

Teleprompters have been in common use for more than 20 years. Somehow, wingnuts just learned about them in the past four months. Maybe Limbaugh schooled them. And now it's all they can think about.
Not THAT version of the teleprompter.

That's a photoshop. How do I know? I was in the broadcast industry during the Reagan years and teleprompters during that time were clunky devices at best that had a manual conveyor belt feeding script into the CRT.

There were no such high tech devices like the one pictured during the Reagan years.

Caught ya.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM

156 posts, read 133,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
It's funny how some of these posters are blaming Obama, and comparing him to Carter, who was one of the most fiscally responsible presidents we've had. The damage done by the Bush administration is incalcuable, and in terms of economic recovery, I tend to agree with this economist:

"We're not improving yet," said David Wyss, chief economist at Standard & Poor's. "But we're not getting worse quite as fast."

Confidence in U.S. Economy Builds Even as Recovery Still Seems Distant
Well, we were going into the tank awfully fast right after Mr. Obama took office, and, I for one never thought that the economic downturn was attributed to him, I was blaming dubya necause the recession began about a year before he vacated the white house. And with the people crying wolf that wall street was in trouble, that too was on dubya's watch. The housing downturn began on w's watch too.

Let's be perfectly clear about something here, wall street has been in trouble before, and most times it was because of crooked brokers, bankers, scandals, and so forth, and cannot really be blamed on a president per se.

The housing downturn may be attributed overly valued real estate.

I do think we're on the up tick here, and do agree with the one economist when that person said we're basically in a stall right now, it's not getting worse, or better, maybe we have hit bottom. I know I don't want President Obama and his team to fail, because that would mean failure for many Americans.

It will take time to repair the damage done by the previous administration, but it will take time. The wounds are now healing.

I think this administration needs to start regulating a bit, something conservatives are against.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
I think it's been going on for more than 8 years..each new administration seems to carry on the same grand agenda...banks and corporations are favored and the taxpayer is thrown a bone.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,289,336 times
Quote:
Can we ever recover from 8 years of the most inept and duplicitous administration in history, or is it the beginning of the end?
Well, since it hasn't been eight years yet (and if we're lucky it will be only four) this question cannot be answered, but it would seem as though it is already too late. This guy has got to go. He is absolutely destroying our country, our way of life, and our freedom.

Even Clinton is begining to look like a god when compared with Oabama bin Laden.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,840,812 times
Quote:
Can we ever recover from 8 years of the most inept and duplicitous administration in history, or is it the beginning of the end?

shouldn't you ask this question if and only if barry gets re-elected?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,808,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we were never dominate. we have been letting other countries sell here for 30 years. there never was world trade, only world dumping.
We were, and are. OPEC oil transactions must be done via the US dollar - you don't think that's dominant? But will it last - that is the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies