Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals and Independents-would you vote GOP if there was no religious right?
Yes 35 59.32%
No 24 40.68%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times

Advertisements

Hmm.
If that meant republicans fully endorsed science, anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Many Dem politicians have said that they're personally pro-life but support the right to choice, such as John Kerry and Jerry Brown. Not to mention that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is hardly a social conservative and has impeccable pro-choice credentials, criticized Roe v. Wade as being an unsound decision and stated abortion should have been left up to the states.

Paul's position is that gay marriage and abortion are state issues not federal issues.
I wish it were so clear. I struggled with this part of his platform.

Ron Paul on Abortion

Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 PM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Why???Look at the mess they left us in economically. Not to mention they took a surplus that could have been used to pay down the debt and gave it too the rich along with trillions more that we borrowed from abroad..
Hasn't Obama done the same thing? He's given billions to all these rich guys.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Hasn't Obama done the same thing? He's given billions to all these rich guys.
Care to elaborate?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Care to elaborate?
Hasn't he given billions to the CEO's of banks. Money which they haven't been required to account for dollar for dollar?

I'd also be interested in hearing you elaborate on your claim that Bush took the surplus and trillions of borrowed money and gave it to the rich.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Hasn't he given billions to the CEO's of banks. Money which they haven't been required to account for dollar for dollar?

I'd also be interested in hearing you elaborate on your claim that Bush took the surplus and trillions of borrowed money and gave it to the rich.
Oh you mean giving them money to stop a total economic collapse ios the same as just giving them money because its a popular thing to do amongst a voting block? I guess if you live in a world of only black and white you might think so.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So what about Obama? Isn't he a super-genius? What do you need conservatives for anyway? They don't know how to run an economy!
I never claimed he was a super genius or Messiah. It was you who call him that.

And you are right. Conservatives do not know how to run the economy. 2000-2008 showed us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wow, imagine that, just four months into the Democrat's destruction of America and someone with the screen name "Theliberalvoice" is shopping around for a new party. Thought BHO was the be all and end all. What happened to your wonder boy who was going to restore America? How many of his hair-brained campaign promises has he kept now that people who are not morons have explained to him why he can't do those things? How many of the Bush administration's policies are still in place?

Too funny!
Oh get over yourself. Where did I say I was shopping for a new party? Just because I am not blinded (like you) by my party, I am bad now, eh? Because I would consider another party, that is bad? Why? You are the type that pushes people further away from your broken party. Good job.

And please stay on topic. You are not a liberal or an Independant. If you are going to stay around, say something smart.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, no, I don't "get the picture".

I know many who oppose abortion and consider themselves pro life. That is different from "criminalizing abortion".

I don't know any group trying to criminalize alcohol, or Homosexuality, or premarital sex etc.

If you know a specific group of people that actually are, could you let us know who they are?

Thanks
The Constitution Party comes to mind but I'm sure most of them are in the GOP.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And you don't think the huge debts Obama is amassing will cause any problems for the nation?
You've not read much on the budget.

The majority of the increase in the deficit this year is due to lower receipts (@$300 billion), increased transparency (roughly 400 billion) and TARP ($500 billion), not the portion of the stimulus budgeted for this year ($200 billion).

Course, if you like the budget tricks that were being used, we could "save" about 400 billion off the deficit if Obama repealed the ban on those gimmicks.
Easy money!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I never claimed he was a super genius or Messiah. It was you who call him that.

And you are right. Conservatives do not know how to run the economy. 2000-2008 showed us.

Oh get over yourself. Where did I say I was shopping for a new party? Just because I am not blinded (like you) by my party, I am bad now, eh? Because I would consider another party, that is bad? Why? You are the type that pushes people further away from your broken party. Good job.

And please stay on topic. You are not a liberal or an Independant. If you are going to stay around, say something smart.
OK, the title of your thread is, "Liberals and Independents-would you vote GOP if there was no religious right?" Where would you expect the religious right to go? Are we to simply excuse ourselves from the political process since we are bothersome to you. What are you looking for, abortion on demand and gay marriage with lower taxes and a beefed-up military? Hey I want to vote for Democrats I just don't like affirmative action and unions.

Admit it, you realize that you screwed-up. Four months into the BHO administration you can hardly point to anything he has done to date that isn't the same as W's excepting the insane spending spree and nationalization of industries one at a power-grabbing time. Oh, and I almost forgot, he has embarrassed us before the entire world too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies