U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,946,358 times
Reputation: 950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
...There's really no point. People believe what they believe because they want to believe it. It's what makes them feel good.
Well, for me that's not the case. I believe because God convinced me of His reality, and I know it's true. If a Christian tells you he/she believes because it makes them "feel good" I would seriously question whether that person has meet God.

I know full well that we may not be able to convince others of the truth of our faith. Just as you would not be able to convince us to give it up. That is why when flamers and violent critics DEMAND some kind of proof I don't oblige. I have seen some folks here that don't believe that have ASKED for more information to research, and are appreciative when they receive it.

Good discussion!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 AM
 
192 posts, read 830,979 times
Reputation: 233
I think that what it all comes down to is that there are only two kinds of people in the world: Those who have the need for a deity-based belief in their life, and those who don't have that need.

As others have said, there is absolutely NO WAY for another person to destroy that 'need to believe' in someone who requires it, NOR to create that need in someone who doesn't have it.

That is why, in my opinion, all attempts at conversion either to or from belief in a deity are doomed to failure. Anyone who "discovers" a belief is only responding to a NEED (for belief) that was already there, whether or not they realized it beforehand. That's what religious proselytisers apparantly can't understand; they refuse to acknowledge that not every person has an emotional need to believe in a higher power.

It is neither "right" nor "wrong" for a person to need to believe, or not need to believe. It just IS, and to paraphrase Queen Elizabeth I (who had her own troubles concerning religion!) "...all the rest is just a dispute about trifles."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
1,574 posts, read 4,538,469 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I said it a couple of days ago.

If you riddle the board with religious threads and bible discussion, eventually the other side will come back at you.

Instead, a few of you chose to ignore my warnings, and kept on putting up one thread after another about belief, the bible, religion, etc.

Now here we are, only a couple of days later, and the anti-theist threads are showing up.

I've seen this cycle before, why must we go through it every month or two in P&OC? If you really want to discuss religion, can't you just quote scripture to one another back and forth through PM's? I mean, it's no secret who the believers, and non-believers are.

Why do we have to have this argument all the time? It's so tiring, and so silly. You can't make an atheist believe any more than you can make a born-again burn his bible.

That's just the way it is folks.

What do ya say? Can we put a moratorium on religious content in here?

~T

I find that view point quite interesting. We should be able to discuss everything under the sun, but not faith?

Why don't you just refrain from participating on the Christian threads? I'm sure you bypass every other topic that doesn't interest you. I don't see the difficulty there.

I was sick to death of seeing thread after thread after thread on illegal aliens. So, I never participated. Problem solved.

You can be whatever you want, but please don't try to dictate to Christians when and how we should discuss our faith.

By the way, it takes as much faith to be an atheist as it does to believe in God.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,500,904 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I find that view point quite interesting. We should be able to discuss everything under the sun, but not faith?

Why don't you just refrain from participating on the Christian threads? I'm sure you bypass every other topic that doesn't interest you. I don't see the difficulty there.

I was sick to death of seeing thread after thread after thread on illegal aliens. So, I never participated. Problem solved.

You can be whatever you want, but please don't try to dictate to Christians when and how we should discuss our faith.

By the way, it takes as much faith to be an atheist as it does to believe in God.
No actually, it doesn't take "faith" to be an atheist.

There is no "belief" at all in most cases. It's an opinion based on science.

....and the point of the post was to point out that the discussions are not simply discussions. They are posted by people that are looking to convert others, and "spread the word". This is not only an exercise in futility, it's technically SPAM. So while you have the right to post anything you wish, I'm just saying that it will surely end in argument if you riddle the board with these threads. Which we see, is completely true.

I'm still wondering why CD is so against a "religion" forum. It will enable you fine folks to discuss whatever you wish, while at the same time keeping it out of the view of those that aren't interested.

It would make for a more pleasant experience for all involved.

~T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,193 posts, read 25,871,858 times
Reputation: 3930
I think Sunny posted on one or more occasions that the Administration felt having a religious forum (separate from P&oC) would require more moderation or moderators.


Quote:
I'm still wondering why CD is so against a "religion" forum. It will enable you fine folks to discuss whatever you wish, while at the same time keeping it out of the view of those that aren't interested.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,500,904 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I think Sunny posted on one or more occasions that the Administration felt having a religious forum (separate from P&oC) would require more moderation or moderators.
Then fine, make one of these fine folks a moderator, and that's the end of it.
I'll even say that they should BAN DISCUSSIONS ON ATHEISM.

That way it's one big happy section filled with religious folks. I personally don't care what they do, but since they're all religious, shouldn't they be able to govern themselves without moderation?

I mean, they are better than us, right?

~T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
1,574 posts, read 4,538,469 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
No actually, it doesn't take "faith" to be an atheist.

There is no "belief" at all in most cases. It's an opinion based on science.

....and the point of the post was to point out that the discussions are not simply discussions. They are posted by people that are looking to convert others, and "spread the word". This is not only an exercise in futility, it's technically SPAM. So while you have the right to post anything you wish, I'm just saying that it will surely end in argument if you riddle the board with these threads. Which we see, is completely true.

I'm still wondering why CD is so against a "religion" forum. It will enable you fine folks to discuss whatever you wish, while at the same time keeping it out of the view of those that aren't interested.

It would make for a more pleasant experience for all involved.

~T
I understand your point. I also avoid the threads that are obviously trying to convert unbelievers. I'm just saying you could do the same.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the "faith" issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,193 posts, read 25,871,858 times
Reputation: 3930
Well, I just got the first, out loud laugh of this day, - T.

Thanks. Perhaps someone can follow up with Admin on this suggestion!


Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Then fine, make one of these fine folks a moderator, and that's the end of it.
I'll even say that they should BAN DISCUSSIONS ON ATHEISM.

That way it's one big happy section filled with religious folks. I personally don't care what they do, but since they're all religious, shouldn't they be able to govern themselves without moderation?

I mean, they are better than us, right?

~T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Naples
1,247 posts, read 804,334 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Well, for me that's not the case. I believe because God convinced me of His reality, and I know it's true. If a Christian tells you he/she believes because it makes them "feel good" I would seriously question whether that person has meet God.

I know full well that we may not be able to convince others of the truth of our faith. Just as you would not be able to convince us to give it up. That is why when flamers and violent critics DEMAND some kind of proof I don't oblige. I have seen some folks here that don't believe that have ASKED for more information to research, and are appreciative when they receive it.

Good discussion!
Heh, it's always interesting to see people deluding themselves. I can't say why you believe in Christianity without knowing more about you, but the reasons theists choose to follow a religion can almost always be deduced logically. I find the psychology of religion to be very interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
1,574 posts, read 4,538,469 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I mean, they are better than us, right?

~T
It saddens me that you've met so many Christians who've come off that way. It's not really how a Christ follower should behave. We are all flawed, though, religious and non-religious folks alike.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top