U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,042 posts, read 48,142,615 times
Reputation: 20625

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I more than suspect you are right. I already saw a few hairs on end when someone mentioned Mormons. Then there is the issue of Islam, and who knows what will be revealed if Gizmo opens a thread on the Jewish faith--I've already seen some rather blatant anti-semitic remarks from several of the Christians and possibly non-Christians. Of course these posters may hang their head in shame if they realized how often they make unwitting, or perhaps witting slurs on (other) religions.

Time will tell, but I won't! - and perhaps I'll learn from you how to laugh more often!
You (and YapCity) bring up the point I try to keep in people's minds... like it or not, Christianity is NOT the only faith, yet there are some who seem to feel that way. Do you know how many times I read or hear stuff like, "If you aren't a Christian, you don't understand what faith/spirituality/morality is??"; or they define things as either Christian or Atheist, as though nothing else exists. What about the Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Taoists, Buddhists, and so forth? [moderator note, don't forget close to a billion Hindu's too.] If I ever do ask that, I usually get the standard "well, Jews are the exception" answer, or some other BS... just to cover the fact that they forgot about us. Sorry to vent, and I swear this isn't directed at anyone in particular!

P.S. Since I live in a Chinese neighborhood, many of my neighbors are Buddhist... and let me tell you, they're among the most respectful, spiritually dedicated, "pious" people I've encountered. I've always said that if I weren't happy with Judaism, I'd convert to Buddhism!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-11-2007 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Added Hindu's to major religions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2007, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,496,889 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You (and YapCity) bring up the point I try to keep in people's minds... like it or not, Christianity is NOT the only faith, yet there are some who seem to feel that way. Do you know how many times I read or hear stuff like, "If you aren't a Christian, you don't understand what faith/spirituality/morality is??"; or they define things as either Christian or Atheist, as though nothing else exists. What about the Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Taoists, Buddhists, and so forth? If I ever do ask that, I usually get the standard "well, Jews are the exception" answer, or some other BS... just to cover the fact that they forgot about us. Sorry to vent, and I swear this isn't directed at anyone in particular!
RELIGIOUS/SPIRITUAL DOES NOT ONLY EQUAL CHRISTIAN... there, I got it off my chest.

P.S. Since I live in a Chinese neighborhood, many of my neighbors are Buddhist... and let me tell you, they're among the most respectful, spiritually dedicated, "pious" people I've encountered. I've always said that if I weren't happy with Judaism, I'd convert to Buddhism!
Hon, don't sweat it. Just look'em right in the eye and say.....

"Jesus saves, but Jews invest wisely"

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM
 
23,560 posts, read 43,444,190 times
Reputation: 24772
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Since I live in a Chinese neighborhood, many of my neighbors are Buddhist... and let me tell you, they're among the most respectful, spiritually dedicated, "pious" people I've encountered. I've always said that if I weren't happy with Judaism, I'd convert to Buddhism!
Cool. Then you could order-in Chinese EVERY day...not just sabbath day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
 
23,560 posts, read 43,444,190 times
Reputation: 24772
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Hon, don't sweat it. Just look'em right in the eye and say..... "Jesus saves, but Jews invest wisely"
Also...Moses Spends and Aaron Rents!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,042 posts, read 48,142,615 times
Reputation: 20625
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Hon, don't sweat it. Just look'em right in the eye and say.....

"Jesus saves, but Jews invest wisely"

I really do love that line, and fully intend to use it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,042 posts, read 48,142,615 times
Reputation: 20625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Cool. Then you could order-in Chinese EVERY day...not just sabbath day.
Heck yeah!! We might have a slight language barrier, but the Jews & Chinese people have always had a weird kinship... oily food, no Christmas (for some), and we love school - among other similarities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 09:00 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 16,513,712 times
Reputation: 64075
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Hon, don't sweat it. Just look'em right in the eye and say.....

"Jesus saves, but Jews invest wisely"

I like this line. Born again? Nope, got it right the first time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
 
3,042 posts, read 8,426,317 times
Reputation: 1163
i am a fundamentalist christian, secure in my salvation and Fear only the Lord, and I live in the United States. I am not afraid or concerned if Athiests post on this site, it is their right in a free society to post their views and meet with others.

they usually dont come to meet just for chat, they come out because of their hatred and fear of people of faith. they have to post only as an opposing thread, not as a positive to their own beliefs or non beliefs,

so its not threatening to true believers in God or religious people. they oppose us because we operate in a free society, you dont see them attacking muslims, buddhists, hindus, who also believe in a god or gods, they are afraid of muslims
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Location: SC
585 posts, read 583,688 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Then fine, make one of these fine folks a moderator, and that's the end of it.
I'll even say that they should BAN DISCUSSIONS ON ATHEISM.

That way it's one big happy section filled with religious folks. I personally don't care what they do, but since they're all religious, shouldn't they be able to govern themselves without moderation?

I mean, they are better than us, right?

~T
I've been reading this and can't help but to laugh. Yap, you are the one who started this thread and you are the one pushing for people to disagree with you. And it's not just the comment above.

I have read many of your comments and have come to the conclusion (and I may be wrong) that you love a good scrapping (so to say). You set the bait then you fuel the fire. I'm actually impressed. Not that my opinion really matters, but I still like to voice it from time to time.

Have you thought about a talk show?

Ok, here goes in the most simpliest form: A true christian is taught not to judge that only he (God) has the power to judge. All a christian is suppose to do is live their lives as best they can by how the Bible says they should and to spread the word in hopes of teaching others to believe.

So, in response to your comment "I mean, they are better than us, right?" No true christian believes this to be true.

I agree, there should be a forum for religion to simplify things, but I would be willing to bet that you would go there and stir things up. It takes people like you to keep things hoppin and I applaud you for that. You see, I consider myself a christian, but unlike some, I know that I have no right to judge you. I can just read your comments, chuckle at some and sometimes get angry but you, just like everyone, have a right to your opinion and I to enjoy the voiced differences. What a dull world this would be if we all believed in the same things. Isn't life wonderful here in the USA.

So I really do mean it when I say, turn up the fuel and get this fire going! No need to ban any belief .... or .... non-belief. Just have fun with it and go with the flow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how bad or good it is and as many said, if someone doesn't like it, move on...turn it off...turn the page...change the channel...what ever the case may be!

So thanks again, Yap!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,496,889 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyaged View Post
I've been reading this and can't help but to laugh. Yap, you are the one who started this thread and you are the one pushing for people to disagree with you. And it's not just the comment above.

I have read many of your comments and have come to the conclusion (and I may be wrong) that you love a good scrapping (so to say). You set the bait then you fuel the fire. I'm actually impressed. Not that my opinion really matters, but I still like to voice it from time to time.

Have you thought about a talk show?

Ok, here goes in the most simpliest form: A true christian is taught not to judge that only he (God) has the power to judge. All a christian is suppose to do is live their lives as best they can by how the Bible says they should and to spread the word in hopes of teaching others to believe.

So, in response to your comment "I mean, they are better than us, right?" No true christian believes this to be true.

I agree, there should be a forum for religion to simplify things, but I would be willing to bet that you would go there and stir things up. It takes people like you to keep things hoppin and I applaud you for that. You see, I consider myself a christian, but unlike some, I know that I have no right to judge you. I can just read your comments, chuckle at some and sometimes get angry but you, just like everyone, have a right to your opinion and I to enjoy the voiced differences. What a dull world this would be if we all believed in the same things. Isn't life wonderful here in the USA.

So I really do mean it when I say, turn up the fuel and get this fire going! No need to ban any belief .... or .... non-belief. Just have fun with it and go with the flow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how bad or good it is and as many said, if someone doesn't like it, move on...turn it off...turn the page...change the channel...what ever the case may be!

So thanks again, Yap!
Actually no, lol.

If they create a religion forum, I have no interest in even entering it.

IN FACT, lol, I'll say it here and now that if Yac or Marka wants to lock me out of it I wouldn't complain in the slightest, lol.

I just want "read only" rights to it so I can giggle my butt off when you all figure out how many other religions there are on CD.

...and the talk show, well, if Rush can do it.......

There obviously isn't an educational requirement.

So you might be on to something there!

"Today on Yap City, transvestite-hermaphrodites, and the ladies who love them"

~T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top