U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,497,420 times
Reputation: 633

Advertisements

I said it a couple of days ago.

If you riddle the board with religious threads and bible discussion, eventually the other side will come back at you.

Instead, a few of you chose to ignore my warnings, and kept on putting up one thread after another about belief, the bible, religion, etc.

Now here we are, only a couple of days later, and the anti-theist threads are showing up.

I've seen this cycle before, why must we go through it every month or two in P&OC? If you really want to discuss religion, can't you just quote scripture to one another back and forth through PM's? I mean, it's no secret who the believers, and non-believers are.

Why do we have to have this argument all the time? It's so tiring, and so silly. You can't make an atheist believe any more than you can make a born-again burn his bible.

That's just the way it is folks.

What do ya say? Can we put a moratorium on religious content in here?

~T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,936,209 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I've seen this cycle before, why must we go through it every month or two in P&OC? If you really want to discuss religion, can't you just quote scripture to one another back and forth through PM's? I mean, it's no secret who the believers, and non-believers are.
Well, here we are again with our Christian prejudice. Oh, great idea segregate us to PM. Not opening or responding to a "religious thread" works both ways. We're Christians we love Christ and we're here to stay!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,497,420 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Well, here we are again with our Christian predauce. Oh, great idea segrgate us to PM. Not opening or responding to a "religious thread" works both ways. We're Christians we love Christ and we're here to stay!
Hey, as long as you can take the anti-theist posts that follow, by all means.

We're atheists, and we're gonna tell you you're wrong whenever you start posting, lol.

We're here, and we're clear! lol

~T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,042 posts, read 48,161,704 times
Reputation: 20626
Sadly, you're right... nobody's going to change anyone else's mind on religion! And unlike politics, it's not even something that NEEDS to be discussed in the hope of solutions or compromises. We are what we are, and I'm personally very comfortable with my beliefs on the subject. I don't mind a few discussions, if they're simply that - discussions - and not arguing about who's "right" or belittling others. Maybe it's time for a religion forum?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
 
192 posts, read 829,480 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Why do we have to have this argument all the time? It's so tiring, and so silly. You can't make an atheist believe any more than you can make a born-again burn his bible.

That's just the way it is folks.

What do ya say? Can we put a moratorium on religious content in here?
Hear hear, YapCity! I'd give you rep points again but the forum cyberpowers won't allow it again so soon!

When I saw Religion listed on the most recent "What new forums should be created?" poll, my thought was 'Why devote an entire forum to that?' -- but now I understand the logic: It was an attempt to keep that topic from overloading the more general 'Politics and...' board, which I see now would be a good thing. Too bad it didn't generate enough votes in favor; perhaps it will, next time around.

I realized after I posted my "humour" thread that I made a serious mistake in titling it; I thought by putting the word "religious" in quotes, people would realize that I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. However, what I should have done was to call it 'A little bit of irreligious humour' instead; that would have been more accurate, since the content is aimed at people who are able to see the lighter side of that subject (apparantly we're a minority population on C-D )!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
92 posts, read 273,994 times
Reputation: 92
I actually do want to hear what everyone has to say, whether they're Christian or not. This is a forum, remember? For discussion. There is plenty of room here for all viewpoints, and if you're tired of a certain subject, you can choose to ignore it. No one's forcing you to participate or otherwise read about something that annoys or offends you, particularly when the title of the thread tells you the topic at hand.

I do like the idea of a religion subforum, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,495 posts, read 25,134,315 times
Reputation: 8896
There will not be a religion sub-forum.


sunny
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Naples
1,247 posts, read 800,316 times
Reputation: 344
I avoid religious threads as much as possible, though, I have been sucked into one, from time to time. There's really no point. People believe what they believe because they want to believe it. It's what makes them feel good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 03:53 AM
 
Location: in the southwest
13,395 posts, read 42,673,859 times
Reputation: 13489
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Hear hear, YapCity!

When I saw Religion listed on the most recent "What new forums should be created?" poll, my thought was 'Why devote an entire forum to that?' -- but now I understand the logic: It was an attempt to keep that topic from overloading the more general 'Politics and...' board, which I see now would be a good thing. Too bad it didn't generate enough votes in favor; perhaps it will, next time around.
I thought it had a fair amount of votes, though.
Anyway, as of right now, there are ELEVEN religious threads on this page.
If that's not overload, what is? Why can't there be a religious forum?
There is certainly more religious talk than, say, gardening or home care.
Spiritual discussion can add a reflective, thoughtful note to any forum.
But as Gizmo says, it's not likely that anyone's mind is going to be changed, and as Yap says, we just went through this whole thing not long ago.
It's kind of hard to *ignore* religious discussion when the entire forum is flooded with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,791,278 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post

Why do we have to have this argument all the time? It's so tiring, and so silly. You can't make an atheist believe any more than you can make a born-again burn his bible.


~T
You are right and as a Christian, all I can do is pray and leave the rest to God. When I was a child, my Grandpa always said, "Why worry when you can pray."

Sometimes, of course, that is easier said than done because as humans, we do tend to worry needlessly, but they were wise and simple words given to this once little girl.

God is in control, always has been and always will be. Only God can change people; people cannot change others no matter how hard they try to do so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top