Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Time to seize the business and personal property of the leadership at Operation Rescue. It's a criminal enterprise. Let the woman explain to a jury, how she wasn't an accomplice.
I think her complicity or lack thereof merits investigation. I don't know that Operation Rescue is a criminal enterprise, but I do think that some of their strategies cross the line of criminality.

It's a little more damaging when you learn that this woman has already served two years in jail for attempting to bomb another abortion clinic. While she may have not known what Roeder planned, she may have still acted recklessly in providing Roeder with that information, particularly since Roeder had a reputation for being over-the-top. If Operation Rescue were not aware of Roeder's reputation, then why did they promptly announce after the murder that Roeder was not a member of their group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
To rid the country of a facility performing that heinous/monstrous procedure known as partial birth abortion - yes I'm glad that is no longer an operational facility.

But who knows, one of his colleagues or assistants might step up and take his place to keep the business going.
But, one asassination will not make the partial birth abortion business cease. Scott Roeder has set the anti-choice movement back tenfold by his self act of deludedly thinking that he was God. Dr. Leroy Carhart is now taking care of Dr. Tiller's patients. And your previous posts disparaging and dismissing doctors attitudes as "it's not hard to get a recommendation to Dr. Tiller" is silly. Women have had to go to other clinics in order to get a recommendation to Dr. Tiller's clinic. Some of his patients were 11 & 12 year old rape victims who didn't realize they were pregnant because they didn't know how getting pregnant works since they've never had a cycle. Some ladies were terminally ill or had babies who were either dead or dying inside them. Dr. Tiller's clinic wasn't a first stop on the road to abortion, it was the clinic of last resort and you couldn't just stop in for an abortion, there was a process to be followed and Dr. Tiller followed it.

But my big point is this ... partial birth abortions are still being performed and because of Roeder's act of pure delusion, it's not going to stop.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Doctor Tiller wasn't aborting "perfectly fine babies." He was performing medically necessary procedures.
Actually, that is where alot of his controversy comes in. According to Kansas law the baby must cause serious impairment to the mother to qualify for late term abortion.

Tiller was using "mental anguish" as an excuse. In other words, "I decided that I don't want my baby now that I am about to go into labor."

He was a creep through and through.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
You know, I've never heard the strong anti abortionists who post on this thread address things like, what to do with a dead fetus or a fetus with one of the many "incompatable with life" issues this Dr. dealt with. It always ends up with them saying that there were still plenty of abortions that didn't need to be done, or that women fake having problems.

Would any anti abortionists care to discuss what should be done for those with LEGITIMATE ISSUES if there are no Drs around to help them? Anyone?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Actually, that is where alot of his controversy comes in. According to Kansas law the baby must cause serious impairment to the mother to qualify for late term abortion.

Tiller was using "mental anguish" as an excuse. In other words, "I decided that I don't want my baby now that I am about to go into labor."

I don't think that's quite correct; Kansas law says that you cannot abort a viable fetus late-term except for the serious impairment of the mother. Now, a viable fetus may be defined as a fetus that will survive birth, right? What if you're going to have a baby that yes, survives birth, but will live in agony for the few weeks or months that it will live outside the womb? Likely spending all of its time in neonatal intensive care, and having multiple surgical interventions along the way.

Do you not think the prospect of bringing a child into the world only to torture it for the rest of its short life is more than slightly troubling to the pregnant woman? Do you not see "mental anguish" in watching your baby suffer until it dies? I do, and, it would seem, Dr. Tiller did, too, as do other doctors.

Many women were turned away from Dr. Tiller's clinic as not meeting the criteria for having a late-term abortion. Late-term abortion is NEVER "on-demand".

Old 06-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You know, I've never heard the strong anti abortionists who post on this thread address things like, what to do with a dead fetus or a fetus with one of the many "incompatable with life" issues this Dr. dealt with. It always ends up with them saying that there were still plenty of abortions that didn't need to be done, or that women fake having problems.

Would any anti abortionists care to discuss what should be done for those with LEGITIMATE ISSUES if there are no Drs around to help them? Anyone?
Why, don't you know? You're supposed to carry it to term, give birth to it, watch it suffer the last moments of its life (if it lived past birth), and then bury it. It's the price you pay for getting pregnant, after all. If you'd kept your legs closed, you wouldn't have had to be punished that way. /rant

Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:

Absolutely not, and acquitted in a court of law.

The law stated "severe motor impartme

Again, really, you think women just wait that long to decide, to put themselves through a 4 day operation?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't think that's quite correct; Kansas law says that you cannot abort a viable fetus late-term except for the serious impairment of the mother. Now, a viable fetus may be defined as a fetus that will survive birth, right? What if you're going to have a baby that yes, survives birth, but will live in agony for the few weeks or months that it will live outside the womb? Likely spending all of its time in neonatal intensive care, and having multiple surgical interventions along the way.

Do you not think the prospect of bringing a child into the world only to torture it for the rest of its short life is more than slightly troubling to the pregnant woman? Do you not see "mental anguish" in watching your baby suffer until it dies? I do, and, it would seem, Dr. Tiller did, too, as do other doctors.

Many women were turned away from Dr. Tiller's clinic as not meeting the criteria for having a late-term abortion. Late-term abortion is NEVER "on-demand".
"""""""What if you're going to have a baby that yes, survives birth, but will live in agony for the few weeks or months that it will live outside the womb? Likely spending all of its time in neonatal intensive care, and having multiple surgical interventions along the way.

Do you not think the prospect of bringing a child into the world only to torture it for the rest of its short life is more than slightly troubling to the pregnant woman? Do you not see "mental anguish" in watching your baby suffer until it dies? I do, and, it would seem, Dr. Tiller did, """"""

Once again, the answer is that anti-choice people have NEVER cared what happens to children after they're born...EVER!

They do NOT care that all that useless,pointless "care" for a child that will die a horrible long drawn out death ...that care will break the family financially and emotionally....but Anti-Choice people WANT that to happen.

They want the higher health care insurance premiums ..

I think it's basically deep hatred for women...."women must pay for being female"....

I'm so glad Dr. Tiller has a replacement as compassionate and caring as he was. I am glad that women will have care as they face a horrible decision that NO ONE will understand UNTIL it's them.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Once again, the answer is that anti-choice people have NEVER cared what happens to children after they're born...EVER!

They do NOT care that all that useless,pointless "care" for a child that will die a horrible long drawn out death ...that care will break the family financially and emotionally....but Anti-Choice people WANT that to happen.

They want the higher health care insurance premiums ..

I think it's basically deep hatred for women...."women must pay for being female"....
I don't think that's true of all anti-choice people. Yes, the single-issue people are completely and utterly focused on ending abortion no matter what, but there are many out there who are human enough to care about the children later. They are well outnumbered, unfortunately, by the haters.

Quote:
I'm so glad Dr. Tiller has a replacement as compassionate and caring as he was. I am glad that women will have care as they face a horrible decision that NO ONE will understand UNTIL it's them.
Me, too.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:

Since medical records are in fact private you don't know any such thing. You're just repeating cr@p that Operation Rescue spins out to justify their campaign of terror. To be constitutional a late term abortion restriction has to include the mental health of the mother as a consideration.

There's no controversy, only groups of religious terrorists trying to get their way through violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies