Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:02 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
I don't claim to know a lot about the actual numbers, but I will common sense this one. If I am maxed out in credit card debt, should I just keep getting more credit cards and max them out too? When I die, is my credit card debt forgiven or do my kids have to pay them back? If my neighbor had maxed out credit cards and he/she can't make the payments, should all the other neighbors in the neighborhood be responsible for paying them back for him/her?

I honestly don't get the math. So...for people who think all this spending is going to somehow "save" us, please explain in simple terms. I think like the short paragraph above. Apparently, I'm not as smart as some of the people who think this is a good idea. Thanks!
Your analogy is not close to accurate. Actually, if you wouldn't mind - could you explain your analogy in further detail?

You represent the US, correct?

Oh, was this even an analogy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Obama is doiung to the future generations what your credit card debt has done to you. Looking at the numbers just from what has happened in 6 monhtsd we are lookig at a deficit interest apporcahing the cost of the Iraq war wirtout any principal. We are like the homebuyer that did save any money and tokk a varibale interest loans. It looked good when we got the house ands we could afford the payments but that went away quickly in the past year.I thnik i ten eyars the ypong people will hate the name Obama for what effect it will have on their lifes.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Obama is doiung to the future generations what your credit card debt has done to you. Looking at the numbers just from what has happened in 6 monhtsd we are lookig at a deficit interest apporcahing the cost of the Iraq war wirtout any principal. We are like the homebuyer that did save any money and tokk a varibale interest loans. It looked good when we got the house ands we could afford the payments but that went away quickly in the past year.I thnik i ten eyars the ypong people will hate the name Obama for what effect it will have on their lifes.
Please read the thread when you get done parroting.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:44 PM

339 posts, read 707,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Your analogy is not close to accurate. Actually, if you wouldn't mind - could you explain your analogy in further detail?

You represent the US, correct?

Oh, was this even an analogy?
It seems pretty straight forward. If we are in debt and this is the source of our problems, why are we going more into debt (how is going more into debt going to "help" us get out of debt)? Since "we" are going more into debt, who is going to pay for it (us and our kids right?). If these companies can't hack it because of stupid decisions, why are we tasked with paying for their mistakes? I didn't realize what I said was so difficult to understand. It's pretty much what is going on but on a huge scale as far as I can tell. Once again...I'm claiming no economic genius (hence the questions), but all I see regarding answers so far is either this will help or this sucks! I'm just common sensing it.

Just FYI. I was truly hoping things would go well with Obama. I'm very moderate (not far right or left), and I have voted both parties. So...If you think i'm a "right-winger", this is not the case. I'm not partisan. I'm just common-sensing this situation. I have some serious doubts the direction we are going. That's all. Help me understand if you have answers. I see no real answers so far.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It seems pretty straight forward. If we are in debt and this is the source of our problems, why are we going more into debt (how is going more into debt going to "help" us get out of debt)?
Debt is not the source of our problems.

Quote:
Since "we" are going more into debt, who is going to pay for it (us and our kids right?).
We borrowed 1.6 trillion to pay for Bush's tax cuts - I bet we can borrow half that to try and create some jobs and bring the economy back to life.

Quote:
If these companies can't hack it because of stupid decisions, why are we tasked with paying for their mistakes?
I'm sure that means you've done an analysis of the big picture effects of letting these companies fail. They affect more than just their CEO, Board, and employees. They don't exist in a vacuum.

But don't worry, I can assure you that dedicated people have in fact done an analysis that the commentators will never take the time to do.

Quote:
I didn't realize what I said was so difficult to understand.
Its not clearly an analogy.
If it is one, its logic is poor.

Quote:
It's pretty much what is going on but on a huge scale as far as I can tell. Once again...I'm claiming no economic genius (hence the questions), but all I see regarding answers so far is either this will help or this sucks! I'm just common sensing it.
You are simplifying too much, I think.
I don't believe you can make an accurate relation between one person and their credit, and the US economy.

Individuals buying and selling is our economy.
If a person (you in your analogy) represents the US, what represents an individual buying and selling?

Quote:
Just FYI. I was truly hoping things would go well with Obama. I'm very moderate (not far right or left), and I have voted both parties. So...If you think i'm a "right-winger", this is not the case. I'm not partisan. I'm just common-sensing this situation. I have some serious doubts the direction we are going. That's all. Help me understand if you have answers. I see no real answers so far.
Doesn't matter your leanings.
I just think you haven't gotten the full story.

I took time to determine what in the budget had changed between this year and last. Most people never will.

But they will comment on it, despite lacking that knowledge.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM

339 posts, read 707,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Debt is not the source of our problems.

We borrowed 1.6 trillion to pay for Bush's tax cuts - I bet we can borrow half that to try and create some jobs and bring the economy back to life.

I'm sure that means you've done an analysis of the big picture effects of letting these companies fail. They affect more than just their CEO, Board, and employees. They don't exist in a vacuum.

But don't worry, I can assure you that dedicated people have in fact done an analysis that the commentators will never take the time to do.

Its not clearly an analogy.
If it is one, its logic is poor.

You are simplifying too much, I think.
I don't believe you can make an accurate relation between one person and their credit, and the US economy.

Individuals buying and selling is our economy.
If a person (you in your analogy) represents the US, what represents an individual buying and selling?

Doesn't matter your leanings.
I just think you haven't gotten the full story.

I took time to determine what in the budget had changed between this year and last. Most people never will.

But they will comment on it, despite lacking that knowledge.
1. You answered absolutely nothing. You are just telling me I'm wrong without answering anything. You made sure to throw Bush in there. Obama is beating the pi$$ out of his spending. You can say all you want that Bush did this and that, but that's not the point. The point is that Obama was going to "change" things. He wanted the job and, when the goin' gets tough, he and all the true believers say, "I/he inhereted this." That's not true. He wanted it. He got it. Now he needs to do something about it. All I'm saying is that I can't for the life of me figure out what he's doing about it besides making it worse. He needs to put up or shut up. He can talk all the smack he wants if he can back it up. So far...not so good. I know it's not an overnight fix, but I certainly don't think it's smart to completely F the people who were responsible in the process.

2. How is the logic poor? It's simple. Give me an answer. You won't because you don't have one. I'm not claiming I do, but you are talking in circles. "I BET we can half that to TRY and create some jobs and bring the economy back." That's solid! You are betting and giving it the old college try, but you aren't answering anything.

3. I haven't done my economic analysis of letting these companies fail. That's why I asked. Again...not answered. Let's hear it. Give me a simple analogy to help me understand.

4. You can assure me that dedicated people have done an analysis (hopefully not the guy who can't figure out Turbo Tax). Okay...let's hear it. I was asking, but again you don't answer. You ask me to blindly trust that spending all this money is good without providing any reason why. A hillbilly can tell you that, if you can't feed the cow you have, you don't buy a herd of cattle.

5. You THINK i'm simplifying things too much? How so? Maybe the reason why everything is so f-ed up is because we have made things way too complicated. It doesn't seem all that hard to me, but the people with the answers seem to all answer like you...by saying nothing and claiming you are saying something. No disrespect, but tell me something. Don't just type to type.

6. At least I provided an analogy. I don't even get what you mean about the buying and selling, but I can tell you that "buying" isn't a good idea if you don't have any money to buy it with. I agree with the selling part though...people probably need to sell all their $hi* (if they can) and simplify.

Help me out here. Help us understand without saying...I know stuff. Let us in on it. Is it a secret or something? I'm all ears.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 PM

156 posts, read 133,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Lets put it this way: The USS Enterprise, seen here:

Will be built with bailout money in 2245
I wished all republicans would be on it way before then.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
1. You answered absolutely nothing. You are just telling me I'm wrong without answering anything. You made sure to throw Bush in there. Obama is beating the pi$$ out of his spending.
Only if by "spending" you are including the cost of transparency (wars, banning budget tricks) and the cost of TARP (signed by Bush).

The wars didn't count against the deficit in the previous administration.
They do now.

Obama made the decision to have things he knew we pay for, appear on the budget, for the first time in years.
Quote:
You can say all you want that Bush did this and that, but that's not the point. The point is that Obama was going to "change" things.
He is changing things. And its pointless to argue the meaning of "change".
Quote:
He wanted the job and, when the goin' gets tough, he and all the true believers say, "I/he inhereted this." That's not true.
Yes it is.
Quote:
He wanted it. He got it. Now he needs to do something about it.
The entire purpose of the stimulus ... that is doing something about it.
Quote:
All I'm saying is that I can't for the life of me figure out what he's doing about it besides making it worse.
Maybe you'd do me the favor of telling me why you think that.
Is it based on fears of "spending", when compared to fake budget numbers from the year before?
Quote:
He needs to put up or shut up. He can talk all the smack he wants if he can back it up. So far...not so good. I know it's not an overnight fix, but I certainly don't think it's smart to completely F the people who were responsible in the process.
I have no idea what this part refers to.

Quote:
2. How is the logic poor? It's simple. Give me an answer. You won't because you don't have one. I'm not claiming I do, but you are talking in circles. "I BET we can half that to TRY and create some jobs and bring the economy back." That's solid! You are betting and giving it the old college try, but you aren't answering anything.
I've already explained why its a poor analogy.
1. Your analogy has you, a single person, representing the country
2. Important to a discussion of the economy, would be jobs.
3. How are you representing jobs, or demand/spending...

You only representing the US, and your debt=US debt.
It's not complete.

Quote:
3. I haven't done my economic analysis of letting these companies fail. That's why I asked. Again...not answered. Let's hear it. Give me a simple analogy to help me understand.

4. You can assure me that dedicated people have done an analysis (hopefully not the guy who can't figure out Turbo Tax). Okay...let's hear it. I was asking, but again you don't answer. You ask me to blindly trust that spending all this money is good without providing any reason why. A hillbilly can tell you that, if you can't feed the cow you have, you don't buy a herd of cattle.
Ok, real simple.
Economy + Stimulus = more jobs than without, more demand than without.

Quote:
5. You THINK i'm simplifying things too much? How so? Maybe the reason why everything is so f-ed up is because we have made things way too complicated. It doesn't seem all that hard to me, but the people with the answers seem to all answer like you...by saying nothing and claiming you are saying something. No disrespect, but tell me something. Don't just type to type.

6. At least I provided an analogy. I don't even get what you mean about the buying and selling, but I can tell you that "buying" isn't a good idea if you don't have any money to buy it with. I agree with the selling part though...people probably need to sell all their $hi* (if they can) and simplify.
Your analogy was too simple. I've explained why more than once.
Quote:
Help me out here. Help us understand without saying...I know stuff. Let us in on it. Is it a secret or something? I'm all ears.
What do you want? Links that prove every statement I've made?
Be more specific.

Do you want the summary of what's changed in the budget from last year?

By the way, the budget is freely available.
Not secret info.

Last Bush budget:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy...get/tables.pdf

Obama budget:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy...et/summary.pdf

Only skill you need is to be able to read a chart.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM

532 posts, read 859,004 times
People on this site don't seem to care, or understand that our Country is "broke", and can no longer print "useless" money to keep ourselves afloat. I haven't posted much on here recently, as most of the Posters are so far afield from what I believe. It is not to say who is "right", or "wrong". but in my opinion, I think many people are concerned with what is best for them. rather than what is best for our Country, their kids, and grandkids. I hope I am wrong.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
People on this site don't seem to care, or understand that our Country is "broke", and can no longer print "useless" money to keep ourselves afloat.
Disagree.
What is more common is that people are complaining because they see big numbers but don't bother to understand where the big numbers came from.

Its lazy.

Quote:
I haven't posted much on here recently, as most of the Posters are so far afield from what I believe. It is not to say who is "right", or "wrong". but in my opinion, I think many people are concerned with what is best for them. rather than what is best for our Country, their kids, and grandkids. I hope I am wrong.
I'm afraid you are very much correct. People largely see only what affects themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies