Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I perfectly understand that you might think homosexuality is "icky" or "weird".

When I look at, for example, two obviously incompatible heterosexual people in an emotionally dysfunctional marriage based purely on an initial sexual attraction, and who have no idea of good parenting for their children, I sometimes feel the same way about heterosexuality. But I've grown up with it all around me, and most of my friends and family are heterosexual, so I accept it.
Same here.
I find it "funny" that those in my family can accept an aunt of mine dating a married PREACHER but not me being in a relationship with another woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
I just got an anonymous rep and was asked if I am a Christian.

Haha! To whomever sent the rep to me, no. I'm not Christian. I am, in fact, an atheist (ducks and runs).

I don't look at homosexuality from a religious standpoint. Sorry, but that's just not my thing.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Same here.
I find it "funny" that those in my family can accept an aunt of mine dating a married PREACHER but not me being in a relationship with another woman.
That is wild. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, though.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm not Christian. I am, in fact, an atheist (ducks and runs).
Sinner!

(It wasn't me.)

Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That is wild. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, though.
Don't be surprised. My family for the most part is pretty accepting but we have some stragglers who just can't get with the program.

I also have a cousin who uses the bible to justify her dislike of me being a lesbian yet she's having sex with her fiance. Now I always thought the bible forbid pre-martial sex. Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Exactly right. And that's okay. We shouldn't have to change our minds. We're entitled to our opinions.

But what bothers me is how so many people take it further than that. They villianize homosexuals and treat them as if they're a disease that needs to be eradicated. What crap. People should learn to recognize that homosexuality has been around forever and it isn't going away...and the world hasn't come to an end because of it. You don't have to pretend you think homosexuality is just peachy, but nor do you have a right to try to strip gays of their rights and dignity.
Its just common sense staring you in the face.

How can it be normal for the male of any species to shun the females of that species? How could any species evolve if the males, shunning the females, became the norm? Its just not conducive to evolution and the perpetuation of the species, so I'm sure it does not fit Darwin's model of evolution. So if being gay is normal, then toss Darwin's theory right out the window.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sinner!

(It wasn't me.)
Liar. You're thumping your Bible right now.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How can it be normal for the male of any species to shun the females of that species? How could any species evolve if the males, shunning the females, became the norm? Its just not conducive to evolution and the perpetuation of the species, so I'm sure it does not fit Darwin's model of evolution. So if being gay is normal, then toss Darwin's theory right out the window.
Again, nature has a way of figuring these things out. The idea that everyone must reproduce is preposterous to me. We're all different in a variety of ways. There are even lots of heterosexuals who can't have children for one reason or another.

I have faith that the 95% or so of the population that likes heterosexual sex will continue to procreate. There's no reason to fear that humans are going to become extinct due to homosexuality.

This discussion is becoming surreal.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Some scientists have argued it serves as a population control mechanism.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:

I agree. I'm a Darwinian, and I don't think it's normal either. But do you get where I'm coming from when I say that I also don't think it's evil or harmful? There are many behaviors that humans and animals display that go against the norm, but that are also quite harmless.

I have a friend who happens to be gay. He and I go hiking together after work on occasion. We have an understanding. He doesn't discuss his sex life with me, and I don't talk about cramps. It works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies