Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
They are against government interference in the marketplace. They favor free-market principles, oh you know, the ones that made our country great and prosperous?
That doesn't sound like the GOP of the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Why really are African-Americans alienated from the GOP?
It starts with the Southern Strategy.

Quote:
It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue -- on matters such as desegregation and busing -- to appeal to white southern voters...

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That doesn't sound like the GOP of the last 10 years.
Sadly, you speak the truth. We've been infested by RINO's and ran one as our candidate, just like the left keeps telling us we should do. How'd that work out for us?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
If the left keeps pushing gay marriage, both the black and hispanic communities will come to the "right" conclusion (See what I did there, huh, huh?)

Seriously, though, the social issues will be will be the deciding factor. Mark my words.
I don't see that happening. Young Latinos support same-sex marriage in much greater numbers than their elders, just as young whites do. Even if some disagree with same-sex marriage, that issue isn't important enough to most Democrats to warrant switching to the Republicans.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Sadly, you speak the truth. We've been infested by RINO's and ran one as our candidate, just like the left keeps telling us we should do. How'd that work out for us?
Hey, don't blame "the left". Republicans chose McCain as their nominee. No one forced them to do it.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I don't see that happening. Young Latinos support same-sex marriage in much greater numbers than their elders, just as young whites do. Even if some disagree with same-sex marriage, that issue isn't important enough to most Democrats to warrant switching to the Republicans.
Bookmark my post and we'll have a gentlemens wager on it. Do some googling on gays in Mexico and machismo. If the left keeps ramming gay marriage down everyones throat (don't go there) the black and hispanic communities will vote conservative in much greater %'s then they do now.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Hey, don't blame "the left". Republicans chose McCain as their nominee. No one forced them to do it.
No, you're right, but every thread started by a lefty telling us who we should be running as candidates are all like McCain; dem light. If people want a true leftisit why would they vote for an impostor?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
No, you're right, but every thread started by a lefty telling us who we should be running as candidates are all like McCain; dem light. If people want a true leftisit why would they vote for an impostor?
I would never advise that. I say: Pick Palin!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
If the left keeps pushing gay marriage, both the black and hispanic communities will come to the "right" conclusion (See what I did there, huh, huh?)

Seriously, though, the social issues will be will be the deciding factor. Mark my words.
Sorry, but although most hispanics are somewhat socially conservative they are also repulsed by the Republican party. As long as the Republicans continue to be anti worker/middle class/poor they will continue to lose the hispanic vote by huge margins.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I see you are asking for another mental butt whooping.

You seem to assume that because a consensus comes to the same opinion based upon individual experience that this is group think. I submit that when 90% of individuals come to the same conclusion based upon copious information that such a conclusion moves into the realm of common and accepted knowledge.
So what your saying is is 90% of a group of people think a certain way that automatically makes it right?

Quote:
Any African American with half a brain, or sense of personal self-esteem after spending, oh let's say a couple of hours, perusing the post of conservative Republicans here on CD, a few clips of the leading Republican pundits and commentators, would be hard pressed to come away with anything other than the impression that conservatives have little interest in the issue confronting African Americans if not down right hostility to their interest.
Any "African-American" with half a brain would use it and form his own independent judgements based upon the facts at hand.

They for example, would figure out, that white liberal paternalism and democratic party policies are in fact, a detriment to their advancement and independence.

Conservatives/libertarians are not going to chase you around and bend over backward. I'm sorry its just not how they operate. If you want that stick with the democrats. If you want prosperity, freedom and independance talk to conservatives and libertarians.

Quote:
Now the Republicans may have fooled you, but to paraphrase a famous Republican, you can fool some of the brothers all of the time, but you can't fool most brothers ever.
No one has the wool over their eyes but you. I make my own judgements. I am not saying the republicans are perfect, but they represent the best chance to restoring some measure of American liberty and ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies