Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
By extrapolation then, if one considers the actual numbers of Christians in India, it is one of the largest Christian countries in the world. Ummmmm....I'm not buying that any more than I buy the US being one of world's largest Muslim countries.
Nobody has asked you to, but to have a perspective at the large populations these imply when compared to other countries. Allow me to help you a little...

"if you actually took the number of Christians in India, it would be one of the largest Christian countries in the world"

That is not suggesting India is one of the largest Christian countries but that the Christian population there is large enough to be comparable to countries with large Christian population, closer to the top than to the bottom.

30-35 million people is a small number in a country with over 1 billion, but large enough that it is comparable to and more than the population of most countries that have a majority of population as Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:32 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nobody has asked you to, but to have a perspective at the large populations these imply when compared to other countries. Allow me to help you a little...

"if you actually took the number of Christians in India, it would be one of the largest Christian countries in the world"

That is not suggesting India is one of the largest Christian countries but that the Christian population there is large enough to be comparable to countries with large Christian population, closer to the top than to the bottom.

30-35 million people is a small number in a country with over 1 billion, but large enough that it is comparable to and more than the population of most countries that have a majority of population as Christian.
While India may have a Christian population larger than, say, Luxembourg, comparing India to the hundreds of much smaller countries with much smaller populations does not make it a major player as a Christian country. Nor does the few million Muslims in the US make it a major player when compared to the 24 other countries other countries I listed in my previous post that have double and triple digit millions of Muslims. While the US has more Muslims than dozens of other countries, those countries have much smaller total populations, even though many of them are predominately Islamic.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
While India may have a Christian population larger than, say, Luxembourg, comparing India to the hundreds of much smaller countries with much smaller populations does not make it a major player as a Christian country. Nor does the few million Muslims in the US make it a major player when compared to the 24 other countries other countries I listed in my previous post that have double and triple digit millions of Muslims. While the US has more Muslims than dozens of other countries, those countries have much smaller total populations, even though many of them are predominately Islamic.
Why is it so hard for you to understand that the emphasis is NOT on a country being Christian or Muslim, but that this is about having a population that is comparable, and closer, to the top of Christian (or Muslim) population. As I said, 35 million Christians in India are as many people as some of the largest (but NOT the largest) countries in the world. In fact, 35 million would rank 35th among 225 countries.

It won't be wrong or misleading to say that India has more Christians than the entire population of Iraq or Venezuela or Peru or Canada or Australia...

It is simple. No, really, it is!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why is it so hard for you to understand that the emphasis is NOT on a country being Christian or Muslim, but that this is about having a population that is comparable, and closer, to the top of Christian (or Muslim) population. As I said, 35 million Christians in India are as many people as some of the largest (but NOT the largest) countries in the world. In fact, 35 million would rank 35th among 225 countries.

It won't be wrong or misleading to say that India has more Christians than the entire population of Iraq or Venezuela or Peru or Canada or Australia...

It is simple. No, really, it is!
Not to beat this horse any longer but why is it so hard for you to take Obama's statement at face value for what he said, rather than trying to spin it to something else?

To repeat it again: "And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world." That's it. No more, no less. I have given facts and statistics to back up my assertion that America is only a middling player for "one of the "largest Muslim countries in the world" title and I fail to see how any reasonable person cannot see that when 25 other countries far outstrip us in total Muslim populations. (Most of those remaining are simply too small to even get into the game.) All I get in return is philosophical rhetoric about how his statement can be interpreted in more than one way. EG, only someone with a superior intellect such as yours would interpret Obama's statement any other way and the world is not made up of "Einstein's ghosts".

That's it for me. I'm heading for the treadmill. Been sitting at this computer too long, today.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Not to beat this horse any longer but why is it so hard for you to take Obama's statement at face value for what he said, rather than trying to spin it to something else?
If you took a statement at face value, you won't be forcing your personal understanding on everybody else. Obama did not say America was the largest Muslim nation in the world.

More importantly, do you think EVERY statement you come across, you only take it at face value and NEVER see it as having an underlying logic to it? How about the parables in the Bible? Do you take them at face value as well, where perspective would imply a spin?

Quote:
To repeat it again: "And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world." That's it. No more, no less.
But see, you took "less", and spun it off to imply he said largest Muslim nation. I question your ability to comprehend such statements. And going back to the Bible, it sounds like your literally take things there as well, not as they were meant to be, just what they sound like. "An eye for an eye", only talks about the eyes, doesn't it? No more, no less.

Quote:
I have given facts and statistics to back up my assertion that America is only a middling player for "one of the "largest Muslim countries in the world" title and I fail to see how any reasonable person cannot see that when 25 other countries far outstrip us in total Muslim populations.
I see that you're not as hopeless as the previous paragraphs would make you look like. You do get the point, but you refuse to acknowledge it. And in this case, you are putting another spin to it by suggesting America still doesn't have enough Muslim population to rank in the top 25. I would agree. But how many countries are out there? I would say, 225-250? Even if America ranked 100 in terms of Muslim population, it would still be closer to the top than to the bottom.

Now I do disagree with Obama's statement (and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand). I don't see majority religion defining the makeup of a nation.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Lol. You really dont want to have to admit the facts, do you?
I don't think it's necessary to have to parse every little word the man says. He said what he said, not what someone wants him to have said.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
There are approximately 6 million American Muslims, according to the link below.

Islam in the United States - Official State Department Fact Sheet (http://www.islamfortoday.com/historyusa4.htm - broken link)

I dunno, 6 million is a pretty significant number.
I'm not sure it's wise to trust the objectivity of a site whose motto is "Promoting the theology of islam". Religions are sure to overestimate their numbers. Just like many claim Islam is the fastest growing religion on Earth when this is false (but for another thread).

According to a more reputable site:
http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/af...traditions.pdf
This amount does seem low at 1.83 Million but this organization is part of the Pew Research Center which is a non-partisan think tank. I personally would guess 2-3 Million but even so we're talking about less than 1% of the population.

Either way, a nation of 1.83 Million or 6 Million does not constitute a large Muslim nation by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies