Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That wasn't a response to the speech but a statement in anticipation of it. The NPR report that the statement appeared on is dated 5/26.
I know, SoccerSupporter pointed it out to me - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So in other words, he basically stated what every person with any shred of common sense would say. While it sounds great, I'm not holding my breath that anything is going to change. The hatred runs too deep and people are simply too set in their beliefs to think otherwise. This is especially true when dealing with the Palestinian/Israeli situation. These people are brought up being taught to hate each other from Day 1. Their whole upbringing is based on propaganda and once adults, they have children and the entire cycle starts over again.

While I admire Obama (and every other Presidents) "attempts" to solving the problems in the ME, I simply think its a no win situation.
I know, but probably the only way to overcome that kind of deep mistrust is by actions speaking louder than words; I see no sign in his history that he wont stick to his guns as it were; the ideal he puts forth is the US policy, and if he sticks to its goals....

I cant argue this thing anymore! You know what I mean Snake.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I see no sign in his history that he wont stick to his guns as it were; the ideal he puts forth is the US policy, and if he sticks to its goals....

You've never seen him flip flop in his political history????? Ever? Really?

That there is some Strong Arse Koolaid people.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
It's an honest question. I don't see anything that's categorically false. What am I missing?
Oh, just about everything.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Oh, just about everything.
I will venture to say you believe in the 9/11 comspiracies

Old 06-04-2009, 09:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
For God's sake. The world needs to be inspired toward positive achievement. The people in the mideast are "us," too.
Many of them will never see 'us'; for some it will always be "Us vs Them".

Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I know, SoccerSupporter pointed it out to me - thanks
I was a few pages behind on the thread -- sorry for the repeat!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The depth of mistrust between the Arab and American worlds is deep and, as Obama said, a single speech will not heal it.

I felt this was a strong step in the right direction though. He knows his global upbringing and hybrid cultural background is an asset no other president has possessed, and he is using it to its full advantage. He speaks with an honesty often missing in politics, and that must be recognized by all sides on some level.

Let us hope his administration will plant a seed for eventual peace and collaboration. That is probably the best for which we can hope, and it is surely a noble cause.
Sort of a foot in the door of the Islamic/Arabic Old Boys Club?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Sort of a foot in the door of the Islamic/Arabic Old Boys Club?
lol, that's a funny thought

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM

I try....LOL

One thing that is missing is laughter. There is so much posturing, formality, and concern over what is perceived as weakness, that the politicians forget who they ultimately impact -- the children. They could learn so much by bringing the children together.

My youngest made a new friend at school. His name? Husain. They talked about frogs and bugs, about teachers and favorite subjects. Visually they were opposites raven hair, brown eyes and cafe au lait skin compared to blonde, blue and pale skin. They didn't see that. They didn't care about who went to Mosque or Church. Husain's mom wore traditional attire while I wore jeans and a sneakers. We are from worlds apart but share the love for our children.

It might sound far-fetched, but our leaders should set up some international play dates. Stop the hatred where it starts by showing the children how much alike they really are. The President's daughters would make adorable youthful ambassadors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies