Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
At the end of the day nobody cares what's said on an internet forum.
WHAT???? You're kidding right?!? That just can't be true!! It can't be! All this time, all this wisdom, all this hatred, and you're telling me nobody cares?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
WHAT???? You're kidding right?!? That just can't be true!! It can't be! All this time, all this wisdom, all this hatred, and you're telling me nobody cares?!?!

I care!! (Ok I really don't but he seems so sad)

Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
For all the Obamabashers etc out there who have endlessly complained that the good economic news that's come up over the last few months is meaningless because unemployment keeps increasing - well, here's the first indication that overall unemployment (NOT just NEW CLAIMS (as has been happening for several months now - but OVERALL unemployment)) has started to drop. This is the first time in nearly 4 years that that's happened. This is big news folks.

This is usually the LAST thing to recover in any recovery - and it seems to be starting to happen - following a whole bunch of other, earlier positive signs.

"WASHINGTON - The number of people on the unemployment insurance rolls fell slightly last week for the first time in 20 weeks, while the tally of new jobless claims also dipped, the government said Thursday. "

Jobless rolls drop, first time in 20 weeks - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

And no, FOX News is NOT yet reporting it. As usual, good economic news is now being report first on Left-leaning MSNBC while Right-leaning FOX news drags it feet - but even THEY will report it any time now.

Ken

Lets see if they can apply their logic to both sides of the fence.

My prediction: Big goose egg, ain't gonna happen.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Lets see if they can apply their logic to both sides of the fence.

My prediction: Big goose egg, ain't gonna happen.

Don't hold you breath. When inflation hit 12% and interest rates 15% it will somehow be Bush's fault.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Don't hold you breath. When inflation hit 12% and interest rates 15% it will somehow be Bush's fault.
It's been in the cards and has been for some time. None of this will be easy and that's what people like you don't want to hear. You cheered from the sidelines as Bush spent like a drunken sailor for years and now the Amex bill has come in the mail and it's time to pony up. In reality you want it both ways and in order to live that lie you simply blame Obama rather than admit fault of your loser hero Bush. Living life with your head in the sand never felt so good 'eh?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's been in the cards and has been for some time. None of this will be easy and that's what people like you don't want to hear. You cheered from the sidelines as Bush spent like a drunken sailor for years and now the Amex bill has come in the mail and it's time to pony up. In reality you want it both ways and in order to live that lie you simply blame Obama rather than admit fault of your loser hero Bush. Living life with your head in the sand never felt so good 'eh?

Excuse me but Obama is in the process of racking up more debt than every previous adminisrations combined and you come here lecturing me about Bush's deficits? Yikes!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Here is the news we are waiting for:

Less Jobs cut but the unemployment rate higher then expected

Job Losses at 345,000, Less Than Forecast; 9.4% Rate - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/31121301 - broken link)

Please explain how this happens.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Here is the news we are waiting for:

Less Jobs cut but the unemployment rate higher then expected

Job Losses at 345,000, Less Than Forecast; 9.4% Rate - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/31121301 - broken link)

Please explain how this happens.
That I can't tell you for sure - I don't know the details about how they work the numbers out - but my guess is that as long as the new jobs cuts exceed the number of jobs created it will ADD to the overall unemployment rate. I don't know how many new jobs are created each month, but it almost certainly is less than 345,000 - hence the increase in the total unemployment rate. That would be my guess anyway.

In regards to the NEW job losses, as I said yesterday - the number is dropping - and pretty dramatically actually - and THAT is a GOOD sign - one that (if it continues) will soon begin to eat into the TOTAL unemployment numbers and start bringing that very high 9.4% number back down. Last I heard, analyists expected that to happen sometime next year.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 06-05-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 07:01 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That I can't tell you for sure - I don't know the details about how they work the numbers out - but my guess is that as long as the new jobs cuts exceed the number of jobs created it will ADD to the overall unemployment rate. I don't know how many new jobs are created each month, but it almost certainly is less than 345,000 - hence the increase in the total unemployment rate. That would be my guess anyway.

In regards to the NEW job losses, as I said yesterday - the number is dropping - and pretty dramatically actually - and THAT is a GOOD sign - one that (if it continues) will soon begin to eat into the TOTAL unemployment numbers and start bringing that very 9.4% number back down. Last I heard, analyists expected that to happen sometime next year.

Ken
The 345,000 is a very encouraging number because it is about 190,000 less then expected. And it is down significantly from the last several months. The rate is probably going to max around 10.2-10.5% and then agonizingly slowly recede.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
If anyone believes the unemployment figures not yet released today they are just fooling themselves....

Of course what no-one ever seems to notice is when the figures are 'revised' some time afterward,almost always upward and with little fanfare.

For a truer picture look to the U-6 figures,the ACTUAL unemployment rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies