Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I am now on board with you. The turn has begun. how strong it will be and how far it turns is yet to be determined but it is heading in the right direction.
What turn there are companies that are just now starting to lay off people. My husbands company this month is letting go 1,800 people.
How many others are going to start laying off because the economy is not turning around and have held on hoping to not have to lay off anyone until now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What turn there are companies that are just now starting to lay off people. My husbands company this month is letting go 1,800 people.
How many others are going to start laying off because the economy is not turning around and have held on hoping to not have to lay off anyone until now
Look a the attachment.
See the peak of new jobless claims back in March?
See the downturn that's happened since then?
Sure, layoffs are still happening - and will continue to happen, even during times that are not recessionary there's always SOME companies laying people off.
Right now, even though layoffs have apparently peaked, the level is still VERY HIGH.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
This is the big news people have been waiting for:-ap-joblessclaims.gif  

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Typical "doom and gloomer" response.
Nothing is good news until it returns us to the "good old days".
LOL

Ken
What's wrong with the good old days? People didn't have to lock their doors, drug use was virtually unknown, crime was something you read about in the newspaper, not experience in your own home. How about Christmas decorations down main street USA and all the department stores in a festive mood with smiling happy people. We have Obama in the Middle East saying how wonderful Islam is and not a mention of any other religions; where are we going to end up?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
What's wrong with the good old days? People didn't have to lock their doors, drug use was virtually unknown, crime was something you read about in the newspaper, not experience in your own home. How about Christmas decorations down main street USA and all the department stores in a festive mood with smiling happy people. We have Obama in the Middle East saying how wonderful Islam is and not a mention of any other religions; where are we going to end up?
What does any of that have to do with the discussion at hand (the economy)?

And how does ANY of that negate the fact that a statistic showing a drop in current unemployment claims is a good thing?

Ken

Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Look a the attachment.
See the peak of new jobless claims back in March?
See the downturn that's happened since then?
Sure, layoffs are still happening - and will continue to happen, even during times that are not recessionary there's always SOME companies laying people off.
Right now, even though layoffs have apparently peaked, the level is still VERY HIGH.

Ken
the one thing that people dont realize is that there are still unemployed they have just fallen off the unemployment payroll so are no longer counted as unemployed.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I guess economic, like real estate, is local. A hospital I contract with has just initiated a 30 day payroll lag, another one has terminated 77 positions. Not sure if it is the a macro economic decision or related to health care professions specifically.

Interesting that we are supposed to be adding 48 million more people to the insured category yet hospitals are initiating cost cutting measures. Makes me wonder what type of rationing of health care services is being discussed behind the scenes?
I've been in the health care long enough to know this isn't 'new' for the health care business. I remember a huge cut back in the 70s. There were 2 or 3 more, not as drastic, cut backs in the late 80's and 90's. These were followed by significant nurse shortages. People decided to go into other careers or decided to retire early.

At the first sign of cutting health care costs, the big salaried decision makers, cut back on staff and services to preserve their own salaries. It would have been funny to see them scrambling for staff nurses if the ones still left weren't working 16+hours a day sometimes to cover shifts. I was still working as a Registered Nurse during one of those 'massive layoffs'. I made more money in overtime in five months than my regular yearly salary. Would have been nice if I wasn't so exhausted or if I weren't working in the high risk areas of the hospital where being alert to subtle changes could save a patient's life.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Without the stimulus money how many jobs would have been lost without hope of companies surviving? What the Obama haters are choosing to believe is the state of our economy is his fault. They conveniently forget declining unemployement rate during GWBs reign (I though war was suppose to stimulate the economy?) and the Market and Mortgage nightmares.

I personally don't have the education to adequately assess our countries economics (AND I don't believe anyone on this forum does either) but I do see that our Administration is doing something more than 'sitting back and seeing when it goes'.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
the one thing that people dont realize is that there are still unemployed they have just fallen off the unemployment payroll so are no longer counted as unemployed.
We realize that - that's ALWAYS the case in a prolonged recession. This is not the first time that's happened.

Ken

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Without the stimulus money how many jobs would have been lost without hope of companies surviving? What the Obama haters are choosing to believe is the state of our economy is his fault. They conveniently forget declining unemployement rate during GWBs reign (I though war was suppose to stimulate the economy?) and the Market and Mortgage nightmares.

I personally don't have the education to adequately assess our countries economics (AND I don't believe anyone on this forum does either) but I do see that our Administration is doing something more than 'sitting back and seeing when it goes'.
Yeah, note from the article that the total number of unemployed has been climbing for nearly 4 YEARS - long before Obama was President, and even before the Democrats took Congress.

Ken

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I've been in the health care long enough to know this isn't 'new' for the health care business. I remember a huge cut back in the 70s. There were 2 or 3 more, not as drastic, cut backs in the late 80's and 90's. These were followed by significant nurse shortages. People decided to go into other careers or decided to retire early.

At the first sign of cutting health care costs, the big salaried decision makers, cut back on staff and services to preserve their own salaries. It would have been funny to see them scrambling for staff nurses if the ones still left weren't working 16+hours a day sometimes to cover shifts. I was still working as a Registered Nurse during one of those 'massive layoffs'. I made more money in overtime in five months than my regular yearly salary. Would have been nice if I wasn't so exhausted or if I weren't working in the high risk areas of the hospital where being alert to subtle changes could save a patient's life.

Yeah, an all too familiar story - cut heads so the top dogs can keep their big salaries.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies