Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
How do you figure it's been reversed? Because one "statistic" that is likely to be amended says that unemployment rates are dropping, while the unemployed are simply falling off the rolls, receiving no benefits. I'd say the situation is decaying at an alarming rate.
NO, the "one statistic" is a particular one that shows the TOTAL number of folks on unemployment. The weekly statistics of NEWLY unemployed has been falling since MARCH. They are 2 different statistics on unemployment and now BOTH show improvement. Less and less people becoming unemployed each week, and now the TOTAL number of unemployed has dropped for the first time in NEARLY 4 YEARS.

Add this to the fact that the Leading Economic Indicators are now more positive than negative, and it's clear that there has been a substantial change in the economic conditions.

The fact that YOU refuse to face that is unimportant.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
NO - he REVERSED a disasterous economic trend that had been going on for more than a year and half - something BUSH was UNABLE to do.

Ken

Not exactly accurate the stimulus that you credit with the recovery (I disagree) was started under Bush, Obama continued it. So if you are crediting the stimulus for the recovery, thank Bush.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
That is great (the OP), but it may be better news if not for a couple factors tainting it:

1. 60,000 citizens were hired in April as temp workers for the Census Bureau
2. The unemployment rate will rise to 9.2 percent from 8.9 percent in April, analysts forecast. (this was buried deep in the linked article). Think the figure is due out tomorrow - let's keep our fingers crossed that the numbers are better than predicted.

On the good side - Wal-Mart plans to add 22,000 jobs this year.

EVERYONE wants the job situation to improve whether you voted for Obama or not.
Quote:
60,000 Americans hired in April to help with the 2010 Census [temporary jobs] . Because of the surge of Census hiring, April unemployment only rose to 8.9 percent -- a much slower increase than had been feared

The 8.9 percent April unemployment rate was based on 13.7 million Americans out of work. ........
number doesn't include discouraged workers, or people who gave up looking for work after four weeks. Add those 700,000 people, and the unemployment rate would be 9.3 percent.

........also doesn't include .......people who have looked for work in the past year but stopped searching ......... Add those 1.4 million people, and the unemployment rate would be 10.1 percent.

.........also doesn't include "involuntary part-time workers," or the 2 million people .... who took a part-time job ......Once those 9 million workers are added to the unemployment mix, the rate would be 15.8 percent. Part-timers form a hidden unemployment rate - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2009/06/04/part_timers_form_a_hidden_unemployment_rate/ - broken link)

Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Not exactly accurate the stimulus that you credit with the recovery (I disagree) was started under Bush, Obama continued it. So if you are crediting the stimulus for the recovery, thank Bush.
The "stimulus" (actually I suspect what you are referring to is the TARP - the stimulus is pure Obama) is PART of the reason for the recovery yeah, there's SOME part of it he can take credit for - along with blame for letting it get so bad to begin with.

Bush provided a "tax cut" stimulus in 2008 that clearly didn't work (remember those tax rebate checks that went out a year ago - and did nothing to stop the economic collapse).

Ken

Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The "stimulus" (actually I suspect what you are referring to is the TARP - the stimulus is pure Obama) is PART of the reason for the recovery yeah, there's SOME part of it he can take credit for - along with blame for letting it get so bad to begin with.

Bush provided a "tax cut" stimulus in 2008 that clearly didn't work (remember those tax rebate checks that went out a year ago - and did nothing to stop the economic collapse).

Ken

I agree stimulus doesn't work. I happened to be referring to both the checks and TARP. I don't believe either worked. I also believe Obama's stimulus is a waste. The economy will be well on its way to recovery before the bulk of the money is spent.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Interesting link. Had never heard of that before.

If a person hasn't looked for a job in the last 4 weeks they are dropped out of the U-3 category and into the the U-6 category.

The U-6 rate is at 15.8% for April, up from 8.9% from last April.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Actually, looking on the bright side.

Even though Texas lost 30,000 jobs over this last year, they more than made up for it by creating more new jobs during the same period than all of the other 49 states combined.

The irony of it all is that "stimulous" had nothing to do with it ..

God Bless the Land of the Lone Star ...

Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I agree stimulus doesn't work. I happened to be referring to both the checks and TARP. I don't believe either worked. I also believe Obama's stimulus is a waste. The economy will be well on its way to recovery before the bulk of the money is spent.
In our state there has been major construction (adding another lane) on one of the interstates - the job has been going on for the last 3-5 years. Now there are suddening stimulus (ARRA) signs all over the job. Money has always been allocated for the job, no new workers, everything is status quo.

I thought the stimulus was to go to create new jobs and projects.
Not just take the funds and call the same money by another name.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
In our state there has been major construction (adding another lane) on one of the interstates - the job has been going on for the last 3-5 years. Now there are suddening stimulus (ARRA) signs all over the job. Money has always been allocated for the job, no new workers, everything is status quo.

Kinda makes ya think there's bigger fish in the mix than just Bush and Obama, huh?

I keep saying all this blame one, worship the other is just a feign for whats really happening.....

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post

I saw a story about this same phenomenon that the ARRA/stimulus package has been VERY effective in placing its stickers and signs all over the place, regardless of how well the stimulus is serving its alleged purpose of job creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies