Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If they (Israel) pulled back, and If a Palestinian state was created and then that state attacked Israel then Israel would be in the right to retaliate. If there was a state with a political structure overseeing the state of Palestine and that state was controlled by the Palestinians there would be some sort of self determination. A political power structures main goal always is self preservation. It would be in there best interest to control there population are risk getting removed by other countries...including Israel. This is a rational plan and is not novel.
I can almost certainly say that it would lead to another war. There are too many crazies on the Palestinian side for there to be any long lasting peace. Have you actually read the charters of any of the Palestinian terrorist groups? Have you actually heard the interviews with captured Palestinian militants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I can almost certainly say that it would lead to another war. There are too many crazies on the Palestinian side for there to be any long lasting peace. Have you actually read the charters of any of the Palestinian terrorist groups? Have you actually heard the interviews with captured Palestinian militants?
I am not disagreeing with you, but it is not our war. If the Palestinians are hell bent on having a war with Israel, then Israel WITHOUT OUR HELP is fully capable of sending them there. It would be far better for both sides to work out peace. But this is something that has been going on for a very long time. They need to work it out for themselves. Taking sides in the conflict, which we have done, only exposes us to liabilities. Besides we dont have any more money.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am not disagreeing with you, but it is not our war. If the Palestinians are hell bent on having a war with Israel, then Israel WITHOUT OUR HELP is fully capable of sending them there. It would be far better for both sides to work out peace. But this is something that has been going on for a very long time. They need to work it out for themselves. Taking sides in the conflict, which we have done, only exposes us to liabilities. Besides we dont have any more money.
I agree a fair bit about the aid, it makes no sense for the US to send so much aid to Israel, especially when it is a developed country as well.

But Israel doesn't really need the aid of the US. In fact, it actually more restrains Israel than gives them license to do whatever they want. The massive US aid to Israel started in 1967 after the Six Day War. The Soviets were supporting the Arab states and the US thought it would be a good idea to have someone that could act as a proxy.

I just think that the idea that two states would lead to peace is extremely naive and also the idea that Israel is warlike just because Israelis are so f--king evil is also false (and we both know that many critics of Israel take that stance). These people are ignorant of both Israelis and Palestinians and have no idea what most of these Palestinian "liberation" movements really stand for (Hint: They support the type of country that would make Iran look like Holland) and why the Israelis are so trigger happy (Hint: Some Arabs leaders have hinted that there would be a literal Second Holocaust should they ever be successful in invading Israel).

Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I agree a fair bit about the aid, it makes no sense for the US to send so much aid to Israel, especially when it is a developed country as well.

But Israel doesn't really need the aid of the US. In fact, it actually more restrains Israel than gives them license to do whatever they want. The massive US aid to Israel started in 1967 after the Six Day War. The Soviets were supporting the Arab states and the US thought it would be a good idea to have someone that could act as a proxy.

I just think that the idea that two states would lead to peace is extremely naive and also the idea that Israel is warlike just because Israelis are so f--king evil is also false (and we both know that many critics of Israel take that stance). These people are ignorant of both Israelis and Palestinians and have no idea what most of these Palestinian "liberation" movements really stand for (Hint: They support the type of country that would make Iran look like Holland) and why the Israelis are so trigger happy (Hint: Some Arabs leaders have hinted that there would be a literal Second Holocaust should they ever be successful in invading Israel).
I agree. However, if Israel does not need our aid please send it back. They have 7.6 % unemployment compared to our 9.4% unemployment. This all comes down to issues of religion and as long as you have people on both sides convinced that God gave them the land and that they and they alone are the only ones entitled to inhabit what difference does it matter how much money we send.
If God does want one or the other to occupy it, lets get out and let God decide who prevails.
Israel was put in a bad position with the state's creation because it displaced so many and continues to displace even more. There was a time when Israel could not protect itself. Since 1967 it has become obvious that time no longer exists. We have our own problems lets take care of Americans first before we continue our crusade in the holy land.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I seriously doubt ANY speech would bring peace to that area.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Ther have been speech after speech on this and they all say good idea then things continue. Its all spin on all sides. Carter was very disappopinted when he thought he had the iraeli's give consessions that the paletinans would take. What he forgot was if arafat took them he would be dead in sho0rt order. Basically hamas and other terror grpupsd power is in continuing to fight;it keeps tehm from having to governa and corrution being looked at.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
I don't get it.

The poll results that this one article showed claim that over 55% of Israeli's favor the creation of a Palestinian State.

Citing this one article proves nothing about the majority of Israelis.
You acknowledge that the poll results (which BTW contradicts your sourceless claim awhile back) show the opinion of a clear (55%) majority of Israelis. Then in the next sentence you say it proves nothing about what the majority of Israelis think.

WHAT???

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
You acknowledge that the poll results (which BTW contradicts your sourceless claim awhile back) show the opinion of a clear (55%) majority of Israelis. Then in the next sentence you say it proves nothing about what the majority of Israelis think.

WHAT???
What don't you understand?

I was expressing an opinion that peace in the middle east isn't somthing either side wants. Was two sources not enough? Maybe I should write a thesis statement and cover a few hundred sources? Or is this a discussion forum where you can express opinions based on whatever readying you've done??

Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
What don't you understand?

I was expressing an opinion that peace in the middle east isn't somthing either side wants. Was two sources not enough? Maybe I should write a thesis statement and cover a few hundred sources? Or is this a discussion forum where you can express opinions based on whatever readying you've done??
I explained in a previous post why your sources have no connection to you contention. And you didn't answer my question about the poll. It contradicts your contention.

But this particular exchange has become tiring. It's not worth it.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 AM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
I explained in a previous post why your sources have no connection to you contention. And you didn't answer my question about the poll. It contradicts your contention.

But this particular exchange has become tiring. It's not worth it.
I'm expressing an opinion. How can opinions be wrong? I don't care for the condescending tone where you say you 'explained in a previous post why your sources have no connection to you contention.' Thank you for you wisdom and insight but I'll keep my opinions just the way they are.

Also, I don't care about answering your questions because you do nothing to contribute to conversation. Your combative style needs to be taken somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies