Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,145,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
A greater chunk of uneducated voters are the lower class Republican voters we caught the first glimpses of last fall: people who were so eager to swallow every wild tale about Barack Obama, no matter how idiotic, they would have voted for a fencepost as long as it was painted white and was blocking the path to an abortion clinic.

(and they did!)

This chunk of uneducated voters has been voting in a huge bloc far longer than have been the "ghetto voters" you're thinking of (who are a much smaller group by the way); the Republicans depended on them and played them like a pinball machine 1995-2008, but lost control of them this go-round.
Can't rep you again. But this one is hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,145,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Could be, except I think the right side usually prefers the REALLY shiny stuff ("Oh boy, a big gas-guzzlin truck!"), and REALLY simple-minded propaganda ("Love it or Leave it!"), and they especially like anything that goes BOOM! (i.e. the military & wars)....
Well said.
Those with less education are easy prey for fear mongering, highly suspicious of anything different or requiring thought, and relatively simple to convince with symbols, slogans, and gestures.
The talk show hosts stroke these people ("You're exactly right! You see it, but those liberals just don't get it!")

Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 AM

37,067 posts, read 42,027,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Well said.
Those with less education are easy prey for fear mongering, highly suspicious of anything different or requiring thought, and relatively simple to convince with symbols, slogans, and gestures.
The talk show hosts stroke these people ("You're exactly right! You see it, but those liberals just don't get it!")
Everyone likes to feel smart.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,502,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Harry Truman, I don't think had a college degree, and Ronald W. Reagan, no college degree. A middling Democratic President often extolled by Republicans, and a middling President, (but for some odd reason) loved and worshipped by Republicans.
Reagan had a bachelor's degree in sociology from an obscure school in the Midwest, which makes his later derisive comment about "sociology majors" even funnier.

Reagan's cultural tastes were certainly not highbrow - like many men of his generation he loved Western novels and his musical tastes tended towards middlebrow classical - but he did have the degree. Truman was the last president without a college degree (AFAIK the only 20th century president without one. Most 20th century presidents were lawyers, from McKinley to Clinton. The exceptions: Wilson and JFK had political science degrees, Hoover had an engineering degree, Ike graduated from West Point, LBJ had a teaching degree, Carter graduated from the Naval Academy, George H.W. Bush had an economics degree - I already mentioned Truman and Reagan.) [/quote]

Quote:
George W. Bush, college degree (legacy admit)
And ironically, affirmative action baby Bush's degree was in history.

Quote:
We could add; George Washington, no degree, could not tell a lie.
Washington lived in very different times from our own. You didn't need a degree to be a farmer and military leader in that era. The overwhelming majority of the Founding Fathers were lawyers, in an era when one apprenticed to be a lawyer. They aspired to the Roman ideal of success in the courts and on the battlefield.

But as to the issue at hand: what happened to the days when conservatives read William F. Buckley and Milton Friedman instead of Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:42 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,192,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Sonrise, you've got your facts (and your drawers) twisted. Leftists and progressives don't put a degree on a pedestal. Can you find any posts on this forum that says they do?

What we do find laugable is those on the right who constantly denigrate "book larning", higher education and prestigious awards. I've seen many on the right call the Pulitzer Prize worthless, and it's axiomatic among the right that the Nobel Prize, particularly as applied to Paul Krugman or Al Gore is "a popularity contest".

There's probably no need for me to get into those who decry "Darwin's theory" as "just a theory".

Years ago I read an article comparing and contrasting some college educated people with non-college grads. I'm not going to research it now (it was in the early '70s IIRC) but I do remember one glaring example;

Richard M. Nixon, college graduate, law school graduate. Most distrusted man in America.

Walter Kronkite, not a college graduate. Most trusted man in America.

I guess we could update those with a couple of others.

Harry Truman, I don't think had a college degree, and Ronald W. Reagan, no college degree. A middling Democratic President often extolled by Republicans, and a middling President, (but for some odd reason) loved and worshipped by Republicans.

George W. Bush, college degree (legacy admit) and MBA (legacy admit), a lousy President, hated by Democrats and disowned by Republicans.

We could add; George Washington, no degree, could not tell a lie. William Clinton, degree and Rhodes Scholar (I know, the righties think those selection for Rhodes or Fullbright are just "popularity" picks), could not tell the truth.

golfgod
Reagan had a college degree.
[SIZE=2]Reagan won a scholarship to study at Eureka College, a small Disciples of Christ college near Peoria, Illinois. He majored in economics, and he was president of the student body, a member of the football team, and captain of the swimming team. He was also drawn toward acting, but upon graduation in 1932 the only job available related to show business was as a local radio sportscaster. In 1936 he became a sportscaster for station WHO in Des Moines, Iowa.[/SIZE]
Ronald Reagan - MSN Encarta

Old 06-06-2009, 04:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
what happened to the days when conservatives read William F. Buckley and Milton Friedman instead of Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity?
That's what I'd like to know! Where did they go? I know that a number of these Republicans wound up voting for Obama because the alternative was so repellent. But where are they writing and otherwise... visible?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,417,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
We have 5 guys on a island.
  1. A carpenter with aids.
  2. A hunter with a third grade education that could catch deer with his bare hands.
  3. A mechanic with rudimentary engineering skills but only has one leg and one arm.
  4. Richard Simmons
  5. A Lawyer
The island can only support 4 people, who do you suppose gets voted off first?
I could see your point, if we were only 5 guys, and stuck on an island. But obviously real life today ain't like that (unless your computer was made by "a hunter with a 3rd grade education" or "a mechanic with rudimentary engineering skills").

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's what I'd like to know! Where did they go? I know that a number of these Republicans wound up voting for Obama because the alternative was so repellent. But where are they writing and otherwise... visible?
I think they're waiting to see when it'll all hit bottom (kinda like the real estate market now)! Every so often one of them pops up as a voice for moderation, but they seem to immediately get beat down by the "base", as self-described "moderate conservative" David Brooks recently was: American Thinker: NYT's David Brooks and 'Moderate Conservative' Journalism,
where he and his kind are described as "passionless", "self-adoring" and "navel gazing", and (not surprisingly) they even quote Revelations 3.16, ""Since you are lukewarm and neither hot nor cold, I am going to spit you out of my mouth."!

Traditional conservative and sci-fi author David Brin has posed the same question you have, and his conclusion is not very encouraging either. Although he seems to lay much of the blame on Rupert Murdoch, neocon "think tanks", and Cato Institute "Libertarians", along with the nature of congressional elections, which only seems to increase GOP radicalism.

David Brin's Official Web Site: "Will moderate conservatives perform their own Miracle of '47?" (article)

Old 06-06-2009, 12:51 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,443,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I could see your point, if we were only 5 guys, and stuck on an island. But obviously real life today ain't like that (unless your computer was made by "a hunter with a 3rd grade education" or "a mechanic with rudimentary engineering skills").
You didn't see the point well enough, or at least I was interpreting this to be on an island without modern amenities. This wasn't about who'd do better if they were airlifted into Los Angeles.

There are places in the world where real life today isn't much different from what it was 100 or 200 years ago.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:51 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,381,483 times
Goldwater, Goldwater...Wherefore art thou?

Old 06-06-2009, 01:13 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,913,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.

Anyway, here's an interesting read, regarding college and successful CEO's:

CEOs-Without-College-Degrees: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
They don't mock a person for not being educated. They mock him for being stupid...which are mutually exclusive.

Stupid people vote against their interests and are easily lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies