Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Did you not say earlier you would prefer the "hillbillies fight this out" so can't you make up your mind.Oh it's just one of your liberal flip flops.Born in Georgia grew up in Chattanooga.I think that makes me concern.
It looks like it's you against the people who will be affected by this. I doubt the federal government will pick Tennessee, but I predict your "initiative" is just hot air.

Did you spend much of your wealth lobbying this yet? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
You seem to be a very articulate person,I for one,as most of us here in Tennessee are against even closing Guantanamo.Do you sincerely believe those jobs will be local folks.I don't know maybe.I would be glad to drive an hour if it meant providing for my family.I think you know how politics in this state goes and you also know there will be great debate on this issue.I do not want an american Gitmo in my state.I do not think the politicians will want this over their head come election time

I realize it is probably hard to imagine someone from the back country of poor rural Tennessee as being articulate, but it does on occasion happen. I do know very well how politics work in this state as I'm very involved in the process both locally and nationally and much enjoy conversations with my Congressman. Being Tennessee is a generally conservative state, I think it should also be mentioned that while we have generally conservative leanings, there is very much a strong Jacksonian(wear your muddy boots in the White House) Democrat sentiment. People in rural poor areas do in fact still identify Democrats as being for the little man, even if local democrats tend to be more conservative than most contemporary Republicans from places like New England. In such a place where jobs and employment opportunities are so scarce, even in relatively good economic times, the local people are keyed into economic issues above all else.

Ask the local farmers, miners and timberman from this area what they think of US foreign policy and most will stare at you blankly and ask if you think gas prices will continue to rise or fall or what the price of hay and cattle will be in the fall. In many respects it is still an isolated and very localized area and the prospect of any new jobs entering into the area are watched with much anticipation.

As to having an American Gitmo, I must ask what is to be feared of these people anymore than other American born murders, domestic terrorist, rapist, or violent criminals. Do you feel our prisons are unsound? Do you doubt the ability of American citizens to keep Mullah Omar behind bars in the cell next to Charles Manson?

Knowing a few of my neighbors, I can almost picture one of them sitting on the steps of the local market with a leash full of Redbone hounds, polishing a new .270, and saying, boy... I sure hope one of those fellers sneaks out, boy wouldn't that be fun. Humor aside, this fear of these people in our prisons is simply irrational and unfounded. I would suggest that in order to prevent some situation like this from happening in the future, we don't just snatch up people willy nilly on a battle field or on the advice of a paid local war lord wanting to rid himself of his competition. While I have no doubts that many of these people are the worst sort, the manner in which we collected them is also a very big reason why we have this current problem in the first place, so lets not forget how we arrived at this point.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM

646 posts, read 801,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I realize it is probably hard to imagine someone from the back country of poor rural Tennessee as being articulate, but it does on occasion happen. I do know very well how politics work in this state as I'm very involved in the process both locally and nationally and much enjoy conversations with my Congressman. Being Tennessee is a generally conservative state, I think it should also be mentioned that while we have generally conservative leanings, there is very much a strong Jacksonian(wear your muddy boots in the White House) Democrat sentiment. People in rural poor areas do in fact still identify Democrats as being for the little man, even if local democrats tend to be more conservative than most contemporary Republicans from places like New England. In such a place where jobs and employment opportunities are so scarce, even in relatively good economic times, the local people are keyed into economic issues above all else.

Ask the local farmers, miners and timberman from this area what they think of US foreign policy and most will stare at you blankly and ask if you think gas prices will continue to rise or fall or what the price of hay and cattle will be in the fall. In many respects it is still an isolated and very localized area and the prospect of any new jobs entering into the area are watched with much anticipation.

As to having an American Gitmo, I must ask what is to be feared of these people anymore than other American born murders, domestic terrorist, rapist, or violent criminals. Do you feel our prisons are unsound? Do you doubt the ability of American citizens to keep Mullah Omar behind bars in the cell next to Charles Manson?

Knowing a few of my neighbors, I can almost picture one of them sitting on the steps of the local market with a leash full of Redbone hounds, polishing a new .270, and saying, boy... I sure hope one of those fellers sneaks out, boy wouldn't that be fun. Humor aside, this fear of these people in our prisons is simply irrational and unfounded. I would suggest that in order to prevent some situation like this from happening in the future, we don't just snatch up people willy nilly on a battle field or on the advice of a paid local war lord wanting to rid himself of his competition. While I have no doubts that many of these people are the worst sort, the manner in which we collected them is also a very big reason why we have this current problem in the first place, so lets not forget how we arrived at this point.
With all do respect I think you have misunderstood me.I am not at all suggesting that you being a very sharp person that it is rare in your area or Tennessee for that matter.Alot of the democrats in this state are "blue dog" democrats or lean more right than left.I just watched the local news and on this matter it seems this will be federal agents who will watch these terrorist.If this is the case I don't think there is that many federals in Morgan Co. who would be qualified.I suppose other inmates prepare the meals,so I don't see how these jobs will directly affect the locals.We here in Chattanooga do not look down our nose at anyone in your part of the state,or anyone in the state for that matter.Our neighbors in Sequatchie has a long history of coal mining

Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
With all do respect I think you have misunderstood me.I am not at all suggesting that you being a very sharp person that it is rare in your area or Tennessee for that matter.Alot of the democrats in this state are "blue dog" democrats or lean more right than left.I just watched the local news and on this matter it seems this will be federal agents who will watch these terrorist.If this is the case I don't think there is that many federals in Morgan Co. who would be qualified.I suppose other inmates prepare the meals,so I don't see how these jobs will directly affect the locals.We here in Chattanooga do not look down our nose at anyone in your part of the state,or anyone in the state for that matter.Our neighbors in Sequatchie has a long history of coal mining
The federal government will hire people. Where do you think they will hire them from? I don't understand opposition if there is already a facility there. How does this do anything but help the economy in that part of the state. Please explain.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
so far--feds hired security people in airports are not doing so well---what makes one think those guarding these men will do better---there must be a way to isolate them off a mainland somewhere---ala alcatraz

Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
so far--feds hired security people in airports are not doing so well---what makes one think those guarding these men will do better---there must be a way to isolate them off a mainland somewhere---ala alcatraz
No one has ever escaped from a Supermax prison.

Federal prison it's been like 2 in the past 10 years.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Is that the concern? You are worried that they will get out and hurt the good people there. That is understandable; however, I don't see them being any worse than the home grown Crazies that we have locked up in other prisons. Besides if they really are terrorist, I would think that they would concentrate on a little bigger target. No offense, but Tennessee is not New YOrk.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Actually, Brushy Mountain is in a sense an Alcatraz. It is nestled deep in the back of a valley, up against the crotch of two substantial mountains, there by making the terrain itself part of the protection. Those who have ever escaped and attempted to "head for the hills" have never lasted more than a day or two. The other direction is more rolling and akin to the Tennessee valley floor, than even then will wind most flat landers. There are actually three small communities, Coalfield, Petros, and Wartburg, and of course Oliver Springs down the road a piece. These towns consist generally of multi-generational families who have drawn a living from coal, timber, agriculture, and to a lesser extent, gas fields. Highway 62 is the nearest paved road that has paint on it, and most are either predominantly tar-chip or gravel.

Giving this geographical setting of abundant vertical terrain, the local population consisting of close tight knit communities of family, friends and neighbors, the thought of any inmate escaping and getting very far or remaining at large for any length of time is extremely low. In fact, in the few rare instances where people like James Earl Ray and six other inmates escaped, they were captured soon after, out of breath, begging for food and water, beaten by the hills. So the chance of some Arab man who would be under even greater watch than the general population escaping into this setting, my bet is that he wouldn't live to see the sun rise twice.

The problem with Brushy Mountain ultimately won't be because of some threat of a Khalid Sheikh Mohammad being housed there, it will be because Brushy Mountain is well over 100 years old and in need of updating. Additionally, Brushy Mountain only houses just under 600 inmates, and in today's world, there are numerous county jails that exceed this capacity by 5 fold.

Now take a close look at this man.
http://www.defenddemocracy.org/doc_img/562739.jpg (broken link)

Here is a man before he was water-boarded 183 times and held in prison for several years. People are afraid of this man sitting in a max security prison... lord here we go again, afraid of our own shadows. So much for the land of the brave... what a joke

I think I could make a monster face with my hand in front of a flashlight and convince half the people in America to build a bomb shelter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies