Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is, or comes closest to, your personal belief?
African Traditional or Diasporic 0 0%
Agnostic 20 21.05%
Anglican 5 5.26%
Atheist or Anti-theist 8 8.42%
Baptist 16 16.84%
Buddhist 4 4.21%
Catholic 7 7.37%
Eastern Orthodox 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Jehovah's Witness 0 0%
Jewish 1 1.05%
LDS/Mormon 1 1.05%
Muslim/Islam 0 0%
Neo-Pagan (Wicca, Druidism, neo-Native American, etc) 4 4.21%
Protestant (Luth.,Method.,Presbyt., etc) 10 10.53%
Quaker 0 0%
Scientologist 0 0%
Secular Humanist 3 3.16%
Shinto 0 0%
Sikh 0 0%
Taoist 0 0%
Unitarian or Universalist 1 1.05%
OTHER (not listed) 15 15.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
there is no age for fundies to baptize. We baptize those who first become saved, while other baptists believe in infant Baptism.
Well, I'm throwing this thread slightly off-topic, again, and I apologize, but I just have to ask. Where did you get the idea that "other" Baptists believe in infant baptism? I can't speak to all other Baptist churches, but I've been to both Fundamentalist Independent Baptist Churches, and Southern Baptist Churches, (active mostly in Southern Baptist throughout my life, up until a few years ago), and on the this issue, I personally saw no difference. Every Southern Baptist Church I was ever a part of, or even visited, did not believe in infant baptism, (and, they also believed in the inerrancy of the Bible). They believed, and stressed, that baptism should occur, only after a person was saved. What I did see was alot of emphasis on the fact that Southern Baptist had a Convention, (apparently up in the top five spiritual evils, from what I could gather), and didn't raise money on a church by church basis, for missions. The Fundamentalists seem to take much pride in the fact, and frequently seemed to react to Southern Baptists as though they had horns, a tail, and a pitchfork!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
I think what they are getting at here, I was baptist for a few years, is that you have to make that choice with your own mind, to want to follow Jesus and his example and obviously if your an infant, you can't comprehend what that is all bout, you have idea what you believe in yet, or if anything at all, I mean free will can't even take effect till you have reasoning skills, and we do not become christians just cause we are baptized either, we have to be able to say, yes I believe, I want to follow him and then follow and a child is not able to verbalize that or even comprehend much at that age.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I think what they are getting at here, I was baptist for a few years, is that you have to make that choice with your own mind, to want to follow Jesus and his example and obviously if your an infant, you can't comprehend what that is all bout, you have idea what you believe in yet, or if anything at all, I mean free will can't even take effect till you have reasoning skills, and we do not become christians just cause we are baptized either, we have to be able to say, yes I believe, I want to follow him and then follow and a child is not able to verbalize that or even comprehend much at that age.

In the Roman Catholic faith, that I started out in, your Godparents say for you, as a mewling and puking babe, 'yeah, yeah, he believes' and when you get to be about 14, you go through "confirmation", where you affirm that they were right.

Except, I didn't. The priest said that I would have to go to classes on Saturday for like, 8 weeks. I had lots better things to do with my Saturdays. I asked if there wasn't some book I could swot up what to say out of, and he said, no. I told him, flat out, that I thought all of it was a bunch of malarkey and that I was only doing it to make my grandma happy. He refused to do anything for me on that basis. So, I ceased to be a Catholic, I guess.

Funny thing is, I am kind of a Christian now. But I have zero intention of going over to the local parish to get smeared with oil and get Latin mumbled over me with a bunch of 14 year olds. The idea that God could give two toots on a kazoo whether I did alla that stuff, or not, seems to me to be the height of absurdity.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM

192 posts, read 864,904 times
Dedalus, my childhood experience was exactly the same as yours except that in my case it was my mother who insisted I continue to the 'confirmation' point. When she (a Catholic) married my father (who was originally baptised a Protestant but was not a practicing anything), she had to make a promise of some kind to the local church that any children they might have, would be "brought up Catholic". Or at least that was what she always told me; I'm not sure if they really did impose those kind of rules in the late 1940s.

I am in total agreement with your last sentence. Also, during my adult life I have visited various churches and places of worship to appreciate the beauty of their architecture and art (which I do, immensely!) but not for any other reason.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Dedalus, my childhood experience was exactly the same as yours except that in my case it was my mother who insisted I continue to the 'confirmation' point. When she (a Catholic) married my father (who was originally baptised a Protestant but was not a practicing anything), she had to make a promise of some kind to the local church that any children they might have, would be "brought up Catholic". Or at least that was what she always told me; I'm not sure if they really did impose those kind of rules in the late 1940s.

I am in total agreement with your last sentence. Also, during my adult life I have visited various churches and places of worship to appreciate the beauty of their architecture and art (which I do, immensely!) but not for any other reason.
Ha, ha! My dad was Lutheran, and they made him sign something. This was in 1958. Lot of good it did.

I visited Notre Dame in Paris. It was awesome. And, I get dragged into churches to pay my respects when people die. That's...expected.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 AM

192 posts, read 864,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I visited Notre Dame in Paris. It was awesome. And, I get dragged into churches to pay my respects when people die. That's...expected.
Funny, I had Notre Dame in mind when I typed that; I visited Paris in the late 1970s.

And yes, weddings and funerals are the other occasions when I've gone into a church.

Here's a story I just remembered. In the early days of my religious instruction ("catechism class" as it was called locally) we were told that it was a sin for a Catholic to even ENTER the house of worship of any other religion (anything other than Roman Catholic). I was maybe 8 years old at the time and hadn't yet begun to question things. The trouble was, my parents and I had been invited to the christening of one of my (Protestant) father's brother's children ... in a Protestant church, naturally, so according to what I'd been told, I was about to commit a terrible sin! and I asked the priest what I should do. He said that God would understand that I had to obey my parents and attend, and that "it won't be a sin as long as you just sit there and don't take part in any of the service or say any of words of their prayers." I later often looked back on that as one of the examples of the Catholic Church's intolerance of the beliefs of others.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Funny, I had Notre Dame in mind when I typed that; I visited Paris in the late 1970s.

And yes, weddings and funerals are the other occasions when I've gone into a church.

Here's a story I just remembered. In the early days of my religious instruction ("catechism class" as it was called locally) we were told that it was a sin for a Catholic to even ENTER the house of worship of any other religion (anything other than Roman Catholic). I was maybe 8 years old at the time and hadn't yet begun to question things. The trouble was, my parents and I had been invited to the christening of one of my (Protestant) father's brother's children ... in a Protestant church, naturally, so according to what I'd been told, I was about to commit a terrible sin! and I asked the priest what I should do. He said that God would understand that I had to obey my parents and attend, and that "it won't be a sin as long as you just sit there and don't take part in any of the service or say any of words of their prayers." I later often looked back on that as one of the examples of the Catholic Church's intolerance of the beliefs of others.

Yeah, when I was 7, they were telling me some horrific story about some lady whose mother was down in the flames of hell, and she was calling out for just one drop of water, yadda, yadda, yadda. They also passed out forms that wound up being used to generate information they wound up selling to some encyclopedia salesman.

Some of these "religious" types are going to have a hard time accounting for their actions when they get called before the Big Guy.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
celtic lady, no worries.

I wasnt comparing the southern baptists with the fundamentalists as they are the closest in relations as baptists. I was speaking of the liberal American baptists and National baptists and not all of them mind you.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
LOL! Thanks for making me laugh out loud this afternoon, actually needed it!

Well, if there is a god, and who knows if there is not or not here, but if so, I am sure that human rituals such as these would mean nothing to him/her, if you study where these ideas come from, how people were straving back in those times, what you had to in order to be ok with GOD, preparing and laying the food out for the powerful preists, so they could eat, at your time and expense here, it might make one really wonder where they little rituals came from and what they really mean and did for those in powerful positions, political and religious, often one and of the same here.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
My Mom is a JW and she rocks!!

The only religion I know that is truly united. When I was a kid we would have ppl we did know from all over the world stay over our place. The religions headquarter (Bethel) is located in Bklyn, NY.

Good folks, but again not even my mom could convince me.
We see a nicer and nicer side of you every so often. That's cool for you too say your MOM ROCKS!! I hope my boys do the same!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies