U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,226,324 times

Advertisements

I dont get why unions and religions arent held to the same rules that we so choose a business to follow...after all they receive money...they they have employees and have payrolls?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 24,939,348 times
What do you mean?

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't see unions and religions/churches as even similar.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:41 AM

Well think about it...unions and religions have similar practices as most business's. They have customers, employees, tax id numbers, payroll, advertisements, frequent member meetings, products or services that they offer. So how are they not a business and held to the same rules?

Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,518 times
I agree these types of organizations should be held to a higher standard then they are.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,632,987 times
Because neither is a for-profit enterprise.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 AM

28,900 posts, read 50,455,600 times
You might as well ask, "Why aren't arts companies or private schools or charities held to the same standards as businesses?" Those organizations also have employees and offices as well. But I guess you singled out unions and churches because you don't like them.

I sit on the vestry of our thriving Episcopal church, and I can tell you with certainty that the priests are paid a pittance compared to what they would earn in the private sector. In fact, two of our priests underwent huge personal sacrifice, leaving careers in banking and insurance in order to devote three years to seminary and more years in service to smaller churches--a 60- to 70-hour-a-week commitment. Further, every single dime of our tithes are spoken for in the form of charitable organizations, expenses (You wouldn't believe how much it costs to run a 2,000-member church, even when you cut costs to the bone), and upkeep to the grounds. In the occasional event that we have a surplus, that money goes into a foundation for the express purpose of ensuring the maintenance of our 120-year-old sanctuary. And, believe me, having replaced a roof and shored up some foundation problems in the past three years, it's never enough.

And if you are going to hold churches to the same standard as a business, then let me ask a question: What business devotes 20% of its revenue to helping the homeless and the indigent? What organization provides literally thousands and thousands of hours of free labor to various charitable organizations, whether by teaching GED courses for single mothers, caring for the homeless or taking meals to elderly shut-ins? What business has built a clinic in Haiti that gets staffed and supplied by its own members at their own expense? For those are just a few of the things that go on in our church.

In short, the facile comparisons between a business and a church--or any other non-profit organization--simply do not hold up to scrutiny.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-06-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 AM

25,106 posts, read 37,157,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Well think about it...unions and religions have similar practices as most business's. They have customers, employees, tax id numbers, payroll, advertisements, frequent member meetings, products or services that they offer. So how are they not a business and held to the same rules?
IMO, your post / question is very unclear as to what issue you are trying to get an answer for

What "same rules" are you referring to?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM

5,273 posts, read 13,563,593 times
I can't speak for unions as I have no idea how they are taxed, but they are definately "for profit" and also are a very high paying organization.

As for churches, it all depends. If the church is running a for profit business (bookstore, day care...) they pay taxes like any other business. If not, they still have to legally qualify as a not for profit company or a non profit company to get tax breaks- just like any other business. Most have that status, but not all. The churches where I have been a part of leadership have clearly not been profit centers and their excess money went to help the needy.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 AM

I am not saying that churches dont do good things. Heck even some unions do good things. And to answer cpg's question, any place that has an influence such as private schools and thing you mentions should be. We all put business's on such high standards these days, everyone wants them to give everything away and still expect to stay in business. People expect these business's to do what we tell them to do. Running a business is just as hard as running a church if not harder. Churches arent controlled by outside parties other than the government, while business's are.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 AM

25,106 posts, read 37,157,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I am not saying that churches dont do good things. Heck even some unions do good things. And to answer cpg's question, any place that has an influence such as private schools and thing you mentions should be. We all put business's on such high standards these days, everyone wants them to give everything away and still expect to stay in business. People expect these business's to do what we tell them to do. Running a business is just as hard as running a church if not harder. Churches arent controlled by outside parties other than the government, while business's are.
I'm sorry - the above makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly what are you asking for? Exactly what is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies