Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Yea, I've liked Imus and have listened to him off and on since I was a kid, growing up in the Northeast (and I'm black/hispanic).
But, just like CD players, VCR's, cassette tapes and roller hockey, well you get the point, his kind of humor maybe has run it's course on the AM radio and unless you're a so called political commentator (like Limbaugh, Beck, who do just as bad as Imus, but get away with it because they're "political commentators"), those days are gone, fini, kuput. I think he should have been supended, but CBS chickened to Sharpton, (who lost a little respect from me by his actions in this), etc and did the wrong thing by firing him. Again, Imus is not the big fish to fry in this crap (racist offensive radio).
It's quite pitiful that corporate media gave this this much fire and pumped up this story the way they have. It was a while ago, but Ohio election officials, who were senteced to JAIL for RIGGING the Ohio recount in 2004 to help Bush's Ohio result stand up was like page 5 news for one day on the major and cable news networks.
Again, this show's how this adminstration, at least indirectly and in my opinion directly, influences what is reported today in news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yea, I've liked Imus and have listened to him off and on since I was a kid, growing up in the Northeast (and I'm black/hispanic).
But, just like CD players, VCR's, cassette tapes and roller hockey, well you get the point, his kind of humor maybe has run it's course on the AM radio and unless you're a so called political commentator (like Limbaugh, Beck, who do just as bad as Imus, but get away with it because they're "political commentators"), those days are gone, fini, kuput. I think he should have been supended, but CBS chickened to Sharpton, (who lost a little respect from me by his actions in this), etc and did the wrong thing by firing him. Again, Imus is not the big fish to fry in this crap (racist offensive radio).
It's quite pitiful that corporate media gave this this much fire and pumped up this story the way they have. It was a while ago, but Ohio election officials, who were senteced to JAIL for RIGGING the Ohio recount in 2004 to help Bush's Ohio result stand up was like page 5 news for one day on the major and cable news networks.
Again, this show's how this adminstration, at least indirectly and in my opinion directly, influences what is reported today in news.
Well said,Beenhere.
I remember reading about the Ohio election rigging convictions a couple months ago.
I suppose it wasn't splashy enough to make the cover of Time magazine.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Their parents certainly should!
If you have to watch your kids 24 hours a day, you must be doing something wrong ! I know I didn't watch mine 24 hours a day and they all turned out OK.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Did anyone see the Rutgers coach today? She was brilliant and classy and really set a great example for handling this whole situation. Rutgers should be very proud!

Yeah, and I wonder how much she will make off of the book she writes next year ?

Old 04-14-2007, 01:37 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, the hip hop artists (not ALL of whom use that kind of language) have their Parental Guidance stickers stuck on their CDs, and MTV and BET have the little 14 And Over blurbs which show up on the screen.
Outside of that, it's up to the parents to "stand up" and monitor what little Johnny or Susie are listening to or viewing.
So, using this logic, if Imus comes out with a CD that plays his "nappy headed ho" statement to a hip hop beat, this will be okay. Maybe the hip hop artists will help him sell more copies!!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
If you have to watch your kids 24 hours a day, you must be doing something wrong ! I know I didn't watch mine 24 hours a day and they all turned out OK.
Only said that parents should care about the ratings of what their kids are watching, didn't say anything about constant watching. If the kids are on the right track, beyond a reasonable age they don't need much watching at all.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
So, using this logic, if Imus comes out with a CD that plays his "nappy headed ho" statement to a hip hop beat, this will be okay.
Somehow I doubt this will happen. And if it did, it would be about as authentic as his original remark.
Yes, these days lots of people from different walks of life appropriate all sorts of pop culture references.
But yes: tone, context, and intent, is everything.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
I was glad to hear that the Rutgers team accepted Imus' apology, and that they wanted everyone to know that they did not call for Imus to be fired. I was also upset with Imus for going to Al Sharpton and apologizing. No one, not me, you, or Sharpton deserved any apology from Imus.

But I was equally upset when I heard that the Rutgers team "would not forget." Seemed a little hollow of an acceptance.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
Do we all remember when Michael Irvin made some racist comments about Tony Romo on ESPN? He basically said that since Romo is white he cant be a good athlete, and that his "great great great grandmother must have gone down to the hood and something went down."

Why not the same reaction over that?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 52,041 times
While what Imus said may have been rude it certainly isn't worth all of this attention. People need to learn to just let it go. This has gone so far beyond the comment and become more abot grandstanding for all involved.
As far as the team is concerned,I heard one of them say duing a press conference that this woud forever chnage her life. If this is all it takes to change your life I feel sorry for her later in life. It's just a comment really, rude racist or whatever it's just words. Don't we learn as children that words can't hurt us???????? I guess if you want you 15 min of fame then you will seize on watever oppertunity you can. I think the situation is BS. Like someone else pointed out don't we have bigger problems to deal with in society than one mans opinion. Grow up America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies