Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I agree with everything you said, mb1919, especially about gratuitous insults being mistaken for wit.
I wonder if Imus was yanked more because CBS was losing advertising, but the result is the same...and if the advertisors no longer want to be associated with this kind of stuff, maybe some sort of corner has been turned.
WRONG. Why are advertisers sponsoring hardcore rap lyrics, where do people think the word 'h.o.e.' came from?

When are we going to stand up to things that promote violence, hatred of laws, police and authority, drug use, degradation of women and races of other people, materialism, sex...all these things are encouraged by the 'hip hop' culture. But it is more important to go after some 70 year old man....

I dont think many children turned on the tv at 6 or 7am every morning to listen to Imus, but I know they are listening to Snoop Dogg and all these other rap "artists".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
WRONG. Why are advertisers sponsoring hardcore rap lyrics, where do people think the word 'h.o.e.' came from?

When are we going to stand up to things that promote violence, hatred of laws, police and authority, drug use, degradation of women and races of other people, materialism, sex...all these things are encouraged by the 'hip hop' culture. But it is more important to go after some 70 year old man....

I dont think many children turned on the tv at 6 or 7am every morning to listen to Imus, but I know they are listening to Snoop Dogg and all these other rap "artists".
Well, the hip hop artists (not ALL of whom use that kind of language) have their Parental Guidance stickers stuck on their CDs, and MTV and BET have the little 14 And Over blurbs which show up on the screen.
Outside of that, it's up to the parents to "stand up" and monitor what little Johnny or Susie are listening to or viewing.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
Quote:

Great point.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said earlier, the first amendment doesn't apply when you're at work... you sign away that right when you accept the job, and must abide by their rules from that point on. They may not be able to have you arrested, but they can fire you for breaking those rules. Can you waltz into your job and call people names? I certainly can't, and I work for the government!
I'd bet the #1 rule the networks gave Imus was to generate ad revenue.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, the hip hop artists (not ALL of whom use that kind of language) have their Parental Guidance stickers stuck on their CDs, and MTV and BET have the little 14 And Over blurbs which show up on the screen.
Outside of that, it's up to the parents to "stand up" and monitor what little Johnny or Susie are listening to or viewing.
You are right. And tv has the similar ratings too.

But do you honestly think that kids care about what rating something is?

There is really no other kind of music out there that has such terrible language. It does not promote anything positive in the community, and it glorifies all negatives. Yes, I know there are some Will Smith type of artists, but they are a drop in the bucket. Surely we are not trying to rationalize that its ok for this group to say such things but not the other?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You are right. And tv has the similar ratings too.

But do you honestly think that kids care about what rating something is?

Their parents certainly should!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
I think the people who are angry on this site are the white folk who have become angry over reverse racism because it isn't reported more often and kept to a minimal. Racism against non-whites is more heavily reported, and these same white folks feel there is an injustice. I think I'm 111% correct. Forgive and Forget. It does wonders.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I think the people who are angry on this site are the white folk who have become angry over reverse racism because it isn't reported more often and kept to a minimal. Racism against non-whites is more heavily reported, and these same white folks feel there is an injustice. I think I'm 111% correct. Forgive and Forget. It does wonders.

I think you're 111% wrong. When was racism ever defined as one particular race being the target? It's not 'reverse racism', it's racism plain and simple and Sharpton is a hypocritical racist loudmouth.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think you're 111% wrong. When was racism ever defined as one particular race being the target? It's not 'reverse racism', it's racism plain and simple and Sharpton is a hypocritical racist loudmouth.
Whatever you define it "Racism" or "Reverse Racism," in regards to White folk. You are angry about racism towards you or others who are related to you and it being unreported, thank you for giving me a prime example above. You have helped prove my point. Wow, you did an excellent job proving my point.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Whatever you define it "Racism" or "Reverse Racism," in regards to White folk. You are angry about racism towards you or others who are related to you and it being unreported, thank you for giving me a prime example above. You have helped prove my point. Wow, you did an excellent job proving my point.

No, I don't think so.

I can honestly look in the mirror and know I've never formed an opinion of someone based on race, I doubt you could do the same.

And I'm not even angry, I didn't listen to Imus and Al can't hurt me, in fact he keeps my mind active, I need to keep reminding myself that Black people aren't bad people but there are certainly bad people who happen to br Black.

And just what is your point? You're happy that racism exists as long as it's against whites or you just like to see whites mad? Either way you must make Al proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies