Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,499,866 times

Advertisements

Star Trek's Lt. Uhura was a science-fiction pioneer in the 1970s -- a black woman answering the phone, I mean computer, in space. Uhura, played by actress Nichelle Nichols, was the communications officer, a role that would go on to be a popular one for futuristic minorities.

Blacks in Space | The American Prospect

Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 AM

117 posts, read 139,157 times
Obama just appointed a black man to head NASA. No surprise there.

Obama's antipathy towards anyone who is White (but not a homosexual or a feminst) is becoming too much to conceal. Again, it's really bizarre since it was his mother's parents (WW2 vets) that raised him when Barack's deadbeat father abandoned Barack and his mom.

It's almost like Barack has totally repudiated his own upbringing and the values of his grandparents to have been brainwashed instead by the Saul Alinkys of the world who actually hate people like his grandparents for basically breathing and being good Americans.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,090,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengeice View Post

Photo Gallery of Black Astronauts (http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/astronauts/ig/Astronauts-Photo-Gallery/ - broken link)

First Black Astronaut Was Not Deterred From Dreams

Sorry to disappoint you

Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Obama's antipathy towards anyone who is White (but not a homosexual or a feminst) is becoming too much to conceal. Again, it's really bizarre since it was his mother's parents (WW2 vets) that raised him when Barack's deadbeat father abandoned Barack and his mom.

It's almost like Barack has totally repudiated his own upbringing and the values of his grandparents to have been brainwashed instead by the Saul Alinkys of the world who actually hate people like his grandparents for basically breathing and being good Americans.
What the hell does this have to do with astronauts?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Photo Gallery of Black Astronauts (http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/astronauts/ig/Astronauts-Photo-Gallery/ - broken link)

First Black Astronaut Was Not Deterred From Dreams

Sorry to disappoint you
interesting interview! this caught my attention.......

Quote:
Q. Only a small percentage of African-Americans earn degrees in math, science and engineering. Are there factors associated with this underrepresentation?

A. African-Americans tend not to be as strongly motivated in getting into the science, math and engineering fields.
Maybe there's a good reason for the underrepresentation.......but hey, nothing a little AA or Saul Alinksyism can't remedy. With appointments Obama makes based on reasons other than merit, you wonder just who is getting "deterred" these days......the most productive members of America, that's who.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
interesting interview! this caught my attention.......

Maybe there's a good reason for the underrepresentation.......but hey, nothing a little AA can't remedy.
Or better schools.
Q. Only a small percentage of African-Americans earn degrees in math, science and engineering. Are there factors associated with this underrepresentation?

A. African-Americans tend not to be as strongly motivated in getting into the science, math and engineering fields. I don't know why. I encourage more youngsters to be interested in these fields.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Or better schools.
I like how the astronaut (who is African-American) himself says "I don't know why" but delusianne instead will tell us all!

I didn't see well-educated Barack Obama studying science or math, he chose instead to study the ideology of Saul Alinsky, American race-relations (from the minority perspective), Civil Rights law, and US Constitutional Law (presumably so he can change it). IMO, one finds Barack Obama's choices to be the more typical and predictable choices than engineering, medicine, science or math.......or astro-physics.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I like how the astronaut (who is African-American) himself says "I don't know why" but delusianne instead will tell us all!

I didn't see well-educated Barack Obama studying science or math, he chose instead to study the ideology of Saul Alinsky, American race-relations (from the minority perspective), Civil Rights law, and US Constitutional Law (presumably so he can change it). IMO, one finds Barack Obama's choices to be the more typical and predictable choices than engineering, medicine, science or math.......or astro-physics.
I dont get your point. What's your degree in?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:

A. African-Americans tend not to be as strongly motivated in getting into the science, math and engineering fields.
I think this is an opinion, as there were a lot of black science, math and engineering majors when I was in school - but then again I went to an HBCU.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:33 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times
Quote:
So lets see, Charles F Bolden, Major General who got his bachelors in Science, and Masters in Computer systems management. Went on to the Naval academy test flight program, is a decorated combat pilot, became Deputy Commandant of Midshipmen at the USNA, technical assignments included: Astronaut Office Safety Officer; Technical Assistant to the Director of Flight Crew Operations; Special Assistant to the Director of the Johnson Space Center; Astronaut Office Liaison to the Safety, Reliability and Quality Assurance Directorates of the Marshall Space Flight Center and the Kennedy Space Center; Chief of the Safety Division at JSC; Lead Astronaut for Vehicle Test and Checkout at the Kennedy Space Center; and Assistant Deputy Administrator, NASA Headquarters. A veteran of four space flights, he has logged over 680 hours in space. Bolden served as pilot on STS-61C (January 12–18, 1986) and STS-31 (April 24–29, 1990), and was the mission commander on STS-45 (March 24, 1992 – April 2, 1992), and STS-60 (February 3–11, 1994).

Yeah, I think this man is qualified for the job. What does it matter what the color of his skin is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.