Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 06:07 PM

4,085 posts, read 2,395,510 times

Advertisements

What are the backward states? Are they the states with the high morals? Are they the most conservative? Let's see, humm...from the US Census, the states with the highest level of child poverty and poverty in general are with 2 exceptions in the South. (The last statistics I saw for Va. shows that 20% of the people in SW Va. did not complete the 9th grade - yet Va. prides itself on its conservative/Virginia values.) The states with lowest level of high school gradution rates are again with 2 exceptions in the South. The South is above the national average in sucides yet below the national average in per capita mental health spending. Are high rates of poverty, lack of education, low levels of spending on public health conservative? I don't know what to call it. Is it backward to not welcome people who are talented and educated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,378,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
(BTW, one can take an oath without a Bible if one wishes, or even avoid the oath all together since it involves one swearing.)
True in most cases where an affirmation will suffice, but not entirely true vis-a-vis the Presidency, where the oath and its wording are spelled out in the Constitution. Even there, the Bible and the words 'so help me God' at the end are entirely at the discretion of the President-elect...

Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,244,859 times
I would hope if one did not believe in God they would certainly not swear an oath using His name.
Funny how our Presidents are Christians. You seem to look down on Christians and say they are not intelligent. Clinton, he claims to be a Christian, does he fall in your uneducated, ignorant classification?

Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,851,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I would hope if one did not believe in God they would certainly not swear an oath using His name.
Funny how our Presidents are Christians. You seem to look down on Christians and say they are not intelligent. Clinton, he claims to be a Christian, does he fall in your uneducated, ignorant classification?
80% of the country is Christian. It only stands to reason that there is the possibility of more Christians than non-Christians as a whole running for office, and it also stands that this major domination of Christian voters will vote in a Christian.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,507,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Marriage is not only for people who want to have children.
I didnt say it was. I said that being gay is a poor example to children. It come down to the fact that gay people do not contribute to the future in a reproductive way.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
there is alot more harmful things to the young society. i dont see the sick and wrong in love. its not like your kid is going to be in their bedroom when they are doing w/e they want to do. everyone has the right to be happy and by fighting against gay marriage you really are crushing people's happiness wheter you believe this to be a lod of crap or not. all they want is to be happy not pervert your children and turn the who population gay
Uhhhh well, so be happy in a natural way.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
All this just pushes me further and further from the church. intolerance, downright hate, on and on. If it doesnt fit into their little world, it isnt right which to me is just wrong.
No it dosent. You are just looking for excuses to stay away from the church. Otherwise you would have the same opinion and values.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,378,135 times
Quote:
Me too. That would smack of hypocrisy. Still some outrage did seem to arise over Keith Ellison's preference to be sworn into Congress on the Quran.

Quote:
Funny how our Presidents are Christians.
Bias. They've all been white and male so far as well.

Quote:
You seem to look down on Christians and say they are not intelligent. Clinton, he claims to be a Christian, does he fall in your uneducated, ignorant classification?
I'm mystified as to your source for such a conclusion. It rather seems to me that you're inventing characterizations to ascribe to me simply for the purpose of then raising objections to them. Sort of like Jerry Falwell himself inventing the Homosexual Agenda and then railing weekly against it. As for Clinton, he's a perfectly intelligent person, and, in common with both you and me, he has an individual right of religious self-determination.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
No it dosent. You are just looking for excuses to stay away from the church. Otherwise you would have the same opinion and values.
Who are you to tell me what keeps me away? You dont even know me. These "values" and opinions dont sit well with me, I cant deny how I feel, I am not going to lie to myself to join the church. I am a free thinker, I dont follow any books especially one I dont know is really fact based, or leads me to discrimination.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
Uhhhh well, so be happy in a natural way.
They cant they are born that way. They would just be lying to themselves and everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies