Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the number of abortions need to be reduced?
Yes 28 84.85%
No, the number should remain roughly the same 0 0%
No, abortions should be more common 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The why didn't you use an intelligent title that pertains to ways "discuss realistic ways to reduce the number of abortions """

Hey! That's a good title and you don't need a totally ridiculous nonsensical poll!
'Discuss realistic ways to reduce the number of abortions' would not really be a poll now would it?

I don't find the title or premise of this poll to be nonsensical nor ridiculous. I do find some posters to be that though.....lets hope they don't derail a potentially interesting thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This thread is NOT intended to be an abortion debate. Its intent, rather, is to attempt to find some common ground between the two sides on this very divisive issue. Many people are "pro-choice" but also hate abortion, wanting to see the number of abortions go down without it being banned.

You are welcome to vote in this poll whether you are "pro-life" or "pro-choice." You are also welcome to share ideas for reducing the need for abortions. "Banning/criminalizing abortion" is not a valid answer for the purposes of this thread.
I think there needs to be more education regarding birth control, more emphasis put on putting a child up for adoption and in my opinion, there should not be abortions offered after the Mother is past the first trimester unless there is some SERIOUS medical reason for it.

More emphasis needs to be put on that sex is a serious action to take then shaking hands with serious consequences so take some serious precautions before you have sex.

My neice has had two abortions, she says taking the pill makes her feel sick. She says the guys don't like to use condoms. WELL she felt pretty sick when she found out she was pregnant, in fact she was in the hospital with hyper emesis before she had the abortion. Alot of these cases are of children whose bodies have matured alot more quickly then their minds.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
'Discuss realistic ways to reduce the number of abortions' would not really be a poll now would it?

I don't find the title or premise of this poll to be nonsensical nor ridiculous. I do find some posters to be that though.....lets hope they don't derail a potentially interesting thread.
"""""'Discuss realistic ways to reduce the number of abortions' would not really be a poll now would it?""""

No, it wouldn't/isn't. A poll is NOT needed to see how many want to reduce abortions...everyone wants to reduce abortions.

Why not just have a thread with the title:

""'Discuss realistic ways to reduce the number of abortions' """

Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
I think most everyone would like to see the need and demand for abortions to decline dramatically. Abortion is not something that women "want" to do. Even the most adamant pro-choicers will tell you it is not a "good" choice. An unwanted pregnancy is an unhappy situation. Reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies is clearly a step in the right direction for our society as a whole.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Default Of course.

I'd love to see the reasoning for any other stance.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 AM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
A common sense approach to reducing abortion would include ultrasound, information and a waiting period of at least 24 hours. These have been suggested but are shot down routinely, as being too stressful for the woman, but really shouldn't all the information be given?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, it wouldn't/isn't. A poll is NOT needed to see how many want to reduce abortions...everyone wants to reduce abortions.
Actually, this helps the pro-choicers more than anything. It makes clear to the pro-lifers that pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean "pro-abortion."

Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Default Does the number of abortions need to be reduced?

Of COURSE!

("roughly the same," very funny, Not exactly the same mind you )

Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
A common sense approach to reducing abortion would include ultrasound, information and a waiting period of at least 24 hours. These have been suggested but are shot down routinely, as being too stressful for the woman, but really shouldn't all the information be given?
Doesn't it depend on the information?

And a waiting period of at least 24 hours is a burden.

The majority of women seeking abortions are working women. Many of whom can't afford to take extended time off from work. Can't afford the cost of multiple doctor's visits. Can't afford the cost of traveling to an abortion provider and paying to stay for a day or several days at a hotel during a "waiting period".

Impeding access to abortion doesn't address the real problem, unwanted pregnancies. The problem is women getting pregnant when they can't afford it, are too young, already have children, might lose their jobs and would almost certainly be derailed off their career track, currently have a living situation that would be difficult or dangerous to introduce a child into. Address those problems.

Getting pregnant shouldn't force women to sit down and evaluate the risks involved. And yet that is what happens. Women have to consider all the consequences. Health risks. Financial considerations. What happens to their jobs, their relationships, their existing families if they have this baby? Do they have a home to bring the baby into? Will they be able to afford daycare? One thing pregnancy does, it makes the people involved take a long, hard look at their lives.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
("roughly the same," very funny, Not exactly the same mind you )
Well....the number will never be exactly the same month to month, year to year, etc. It's always going to fluctuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies