Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,953,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Thats BS. They know that man made pollution acts as a reflective blanket in the atmosphere, and have known this for decades. The 2001 and 2007 IPCC reports say as much, all the other science whor*s are working for a paycheck from Exxon.

Just because no one can pinpoint the relationship between man made pollution and the amount of warming is not an argument it is taking place. We know its taking place, because science can measure carbon levels in the atmosphere and compare them to ice cores carbon levels.

We don't get a free pass for pollutiing the earth, and we can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend its all "cyclical" and will eventually stabilize itself.

I'm not.
I think the arrogance of this post is appalling... It is of fundamental importance to know how much man made emmisions are responsible for the net warming effects....How much of global warming is responsible due to natural solar cycles - do you know?

I also find it amazing that some people will throw a liberal or conservative attachment to someone just because their ideas and opinions seem to point in one direction on a particular issue... sorry the world ain't black and white - it really is more grey

Last edited by mississauga75; 06-08-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM

52,556 posts, read 34,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Alaskan eskimos move their village to higher ground:
'Climate change' forces Eskimos to abandon village - CNN.com
they're moving because the riverbank they're on is eroding.

Quote:
The current site of Newtok is experiencing severe erosion along the bank of the Ninglick River. The erosion rate has been documented by the Newtok Traditional Council, the U.S Army Corps of Engineers, and Woodward-Clyde Consultants in 1983. Aerial photos from 1983 and 1996 clearly show the erosion of the river bank at the south end of Newtok. See Figure 3. Approximately 1,300 feet (1/4 mile) of land in front of the village was lost to erosion, equaling an annual average loss of 100 feet per year. From 1996 to September 2001, another 400 feet of land has been lost. Lines on Map Figure 2 indicate erosion levels from 1954 to 2001. A total of 4,000 feet of land was lost during this period (an annual average loss of 85 feet).Erosion accelerates rapidly during south and southeasterly winds. Because the erosion rate has remained consistent, the Corps of Engineers estimates that erosion will physically impact residences and infrastructure in eight to nine years (2008-2009).
http://www.dced.state.ak.us/dca/plan...FINAL_Plan.pdf

Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,898,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's appalling the stupidity of conservatives in denying the obvious, but after two terms of George W. Bush, should anyone even be surprised?

I'm not.
I'm laughing out loud right now over the stupidity of both sides

We humans are so arrogant ... to think that our puny presence on this earth even makes a difference is sheer lunacy.

This planet of ours has seen much worse than us, and it will see much worse than us again in the future.

The fact of the matter is that there are a very few elite that are afraid that "something" might change, so they have to get everybody else all up in arms about it.

Anyhow, nuff said ... I'll crack open another beer, kick back, and resume my enjoyment of life on this planet .

Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM

52,556 posts, read 34,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
You don't think that Smog causes the temperature to rise?
carbon dioxide != smog.

but to answer the question - not necessarily.

Quote:
Up to 800 people were killed and 100,000 became homeless following the Mount Pinatubo eruption, which climaxed with nine hours of eruption on June 15, 1991. On June 15, millions of tons of sulfur dioxide were discharged into the atmosphere, resulting in a decrease in the temperature worldwide over the next few years.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,474,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I'm laughing out loud right now over the stupidity of both sides

We humans are so arrogant ... to think that our puny presence on this earth even makes a difference is sheer lunacy.

This planet of ours has seen much worse than us, and it will see much worse than us again in the future.

The fact of the matter is that there are a very few elite that are afraid that "something" might change, so they have to get everybody else all up in arms about it.

Anyhow, nuff said ... I'll crack open another beer, kick back, and resume my enjoyment of life on this planet .
Ignorance is no excuse, but many use it anyway.

Enjoy.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:

You will also see polling data that shows 97% of climatologists agree that global warming is caused by human activity.

No 97% of climatologists agree human activity is a cause of global warming not the only cause. This is key because we truly don't know to what extent the man made emissions contribute - do they contribute yes - to what degree - we don't know because it has been difficult to quantify the impact of natural solar cycles on climate over long periods.

www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html - broken link)

Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,682,388 times
^
Yes, obviously, I didn't mean to imply human were the only cause. Sorry.

To the above poster who think we little humans couldn't possibly influence the planet, look at a satellite picture of earth at night. We consume almost the entire globe with our lights visible from space.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
^
Yes, obviously, I didn't mean to imply human were the only cause. Sorry.

To the above poster who think we little humans couldn't possibly influence the planet, look at a satellite picture of earth at night. We consume almost the entire globe with our lights visible from space.
I think recent projections are showing global cooling trends... i'll try to pull some stuff out - trust me we could very well be entering a mini ice-age by the end of the century.. we have an impact on climate no doubt... i just am not convinced to what degree and Scientists as we speak are still making sense of new information re: cooling trends due to a sun that is anticipated to be far less active in the next 100 years versus the last 200. We may be longing for the days of global warming ..... Especially in Canada

Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,301,291 times
Somebody please explain how one island is affected by rising sea levels but a few others close by are not. I kinda thought water found its own level. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Somebody please explain how one island is affected by rising sea levels but a few others close by are not. I kinda thought water found its own level. Thanks.
No man is an island

I dunno - could it have to do with the ambient elevation of the sea floor under said island being higher or on the flip - being lower than the others close bi

Last edited by mississauga75; 06-08-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies