Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

President Obama has been pushing for something he calls "Health Care Reform". And at least one proposal has surfaced, from a Democrat committee in the Senate describing pretty much a complete nationalization of the U.S. health care industry.

There's good news, and there's bad news.

The good news is, we don't have to go into this blind. A number of countries alreadyhave socialized medecine, similar to what the Democrat seem to intend for this country, So we can watch those system,s and get an idea of what happens and how well it works.

The bad news is, it doesn't work very well. And it's getting worse in those countries.

---------------------------------------

Canada's ObamaCare Precedent - WSJ.com

OPINION JUNE 9, 2009

Canada's ObamaCare Precedent

Governments always ration care by making you wait. That can be deadly.

by DAVID GRATZER

Congressional Democrats will soon put forward their legislative proposals for reforming health care. Should they succeed, tens of millions of Americans will potentially be joining a new public insurance program and the federal government will increasingly be involved in treatment decisions.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 06-10-2009 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Copyright Violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
There are too many of these letters from Canadian doctors who practice in the United States for fools here to believe that we really want their system. I think that they have mostly doctors from the Middle East and other parts of the world who come to the west because things are better here than in their countries and there is a need for them in western socialized medicine countries.

I think that we will see in a very short time that progressives, not Democrats are in control of the Democrat party. Hillary says she is a 1920s progressive and that just isn't anything we really want since all they wanted to do was to control the nation, their way.

Hurrying into socialized medicine, which is what the Dems want to do at the first opportunity isn't going to be the answer to anything.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Hurrying? There have been proposals for some sort of UHC in this country since the Truman administration! It's high time to look at it seriously.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
There are too many of these letters from Canadian doctors who practice in the United States for fools here to believe that we really want their system. I think that they have mostly doctors from the Middle East and other parts of the world who come to the west because things are better here than in their countries and there is a need for them in western socialized medicine countries.

I think that we will see in a very short time that progressives, not Democrats are in control of the Democrat party. Hillary says she is a 1920s progressive and that just isn't anything we really want since all they wanted to do was to control the nation, their way.

Hurrying into socialized medicine, which is what the Dems want to do at the first opportunity isn't going to be the answer to anything.

Doctors in the U.S. make more money. Despite that there are not that many Doctors coming from Canada. I read his open letter and I did not see what he proposing instead. Did I miss something.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
President Obama has been pushing for something he calls "Health Care Reform". And at least one proposal has surfaced, from a Democrat committee in the Senate describing pretty much a complete nationalization of the U.S. health care industry.
You don't know what you're talking about - because I'm sure that you're not intentionally lying, of course.

There is no proposal for nationalized health care. In fact, there is no proposal for single-payer health care (which is not nationalized or socialized health care). The Senate committee that is working out the details was derailed last month by single-payer advocates because they weren't even considering that option.

(For the uneducated among us: "Nationalized" or "Socialized" medicine means that the government will basically own the entire system - the hospitals, the doctors, the equipment. The Veteran's healthcare system is a small example of this. "Single-payer" means that one entity will pay the doctor and hospital bills. That could be the government, or an entity like a global insurance carrier. But the hospitals and doctors will be private.)

Basically, the only thing that is under consideration is a public option for insurance. That means that there will be a government-run insurance fund that people can join.

You really should study up a little bit before making yourself look stupid here.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Growing up I knew several Canadian doctors via exchange programs with our armies and they all had the same stories. In fact every time I visit Canada I always read or hear about horror stories with the health care system. It's the same in NZ and the UK which I have ties to.

Socialized medicine has never worked and will never work. All one has to do in our own country is look at government health systems already in place, Medicare and Medicaid, both of which are an absolute disaster and mess. Tell me how federal controlled health care is going to work when they can even get Medicare to run right?

I think a lot of desperation for it goes back to the left wing mind having a child like view of the world. Government is mommy and daddy and is there to scold them, control them and tell them to eat their dinner. Occasionally they get little treats like tax credits or bureaucratic controlled health care.

The real adults in this world that have brains that have maturely formed know we want to be able to make our own choices or decisions in life including health care options.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Growing up I knew several Canadian doctors via exchange programs with our armies and they all had the same stories. In fact every time I visit Canada I always read or hear about horror stories with the health care system. It's the same in NZ and the UK which I have ties to.

Socialized medicine has never worked and will never work. All one has to do in our own country is look at government health systems already in place, Medicare and Medicaid, both of which are an absolute disaster and mess. Tell me how federal controlled health care is going to work when they can even get Medicare to run right?

I think a lot of desperation for it goes back to the left wing mind having a child like view of the world. Government is mommy and daddy and is there to scold them, control them and tell them to eat their dinner. Occasionally they get little treats like tax credits or bureaucratic controlled health care.

The real adults in this world that have brains that have maturely formed know we want to be able to make our own choices or decisions in life including health care options.
This is a trivial and caricatured view of the issue.

Do you claim that our national highway system is taking away people's choice about where to drive? Do you claim that our national defense is taking away our choice of how to defend ourselves against foreign invaders? Do you think fire departments take away your choice of how to protect your home against fire?

There are things that are better done nationally. Health care is probably one of them, since we are destroying our economy with our current system.

And for every horror story you find from Canada, I can find 10 in the US for people basically dying because they can't get health care.

Please don't make up your mind based on "lifeboat cases" that you hear about. That's how dumb people do it.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

I find it entertaining that people with no health care background think they are competent to decide what kind of health care coverage they need, aided of course by a representative of the insurance industry. They pick a "bare bones" policy thinking they will never get sick, then wham! Hello bankruptcy court!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
As a health care professional that has worked in both Canada and the United States, I gladly say that the US has the best system and highest quality of care of any nation. Things with regards to the insurance industry should say the same. What we need is thoughtful lawsuit reform and we need to allow doctors to practice medicine. We need to make patients responsible for paying up front and then making a claim, similar to what people do when they take their dog or cat to the vet and they have pet insurance.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
As a health care professional that has worked in both Canada and the United States, I gladly say that the US has the best system and highest quality of care of any nation. Things with regards to the insurance industry should say the same. What we need is thoughtful lawsuit reform and we need to allow doctors to practice medicine. We need to make patients responsible for paying up front and then making a claim, similar to what people do when they take their dog or cat to the vet and they have pet insurance.
So support the lawyers and ignore those who can't pay up front? How many people can pay for surgery up front let alone a routine ER visit? This is completely insane. Dogs and cats are cool but human beings they are not. Just crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies