Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is all government, not just Obama's or governments under a D pres. St. Ron didnt do us any favors, either, and in fact started the present deficit ball rolling.

as for "problems cant be fixed by the government" -- that's a pat reply that really has no bearing in reality The Obama Admin is trying to fix the problems it inherited and avert the disaster that was heading our way. Just be patient.
How can that be? Clinton had gigantic surpluses right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
How can that be? Clinton had gigantic surpluses right?
it's a long story.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Real Life problems cant be fixed by government.
"Real life" is a broad term. The government exists for the welfare of the people, the states and the country as a whole. That is very real.

Having said that, IMHO, people who don't believe in government created and run by the people should just stay out of it, and be who they are. I would certainly never vote for a person who holds this idea, that government is a terrible thing to have, and incapable to do anything even as national security and welfare of the people is at stake. Its akin to making an incorrigible thief in-charge of a jewelry store.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinsghost View Post
"real life" is a broad term. The government exists for the welfare of the people, the states and the country as a whole. That is very real.

Having said that, imho, people who don't believe in government created and run by the people should just stay out of it, and be who they are. I would certainly never vote for a person who holds this idea, that government is a terrible thing to have, and incapable to do anything even as national security and welfare of the people is at stake. Its akin to making an incorrigible thief in-charge of a jewelry store.
EXAMPLES!

We want examples!

We want examples!

We want examples!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is all government, not just Obama's or governments under a D pres. St. Ron didnt do us any favors, either, and in fact started the present deficit ball rolling.

as for "problems cant be fixed by the government" -- that's a pat reply. A lot of people got rich(er) as a direct result of the Bush tax cuts, for instance . The Obama Admin is trying to fix the problems it inherited and avert the disaster that was heading our way. Just be patient.
Yes this is all Government of which I clearly stated several times. Ronald Reagan was no saint and he even clearly stated on his presidental farewell speech that was his greatest disappointment. As far as Bush's tax cuts I got a tax cut I wouldnt call myself rich, did I get richer or did I just get the money that was already in my paycheck. I think maybe you have this crazy idea when you look at your paycheck maybe that your money doesn't belong to you. Even the person making 20,000 a year got a tax cut, or should I say more of the money in their check that they already earned. If it was up to me the federal income tax would be removed from all Americans period. I see nothing fair about taxing anyone for working.
As far as Obama goes if a boat is sinking you don't throw more water into the boat. We are 9 trillion in debt with bush, Obama made it 11 trillion.
We are in Iraq and Obama sends in more troops. If you can explain those 2 moves I would gladly give Obama a chance. But logic and common sense tells me the planned of continued economic and social destruction is right on course. So will agree Obama and Bush are just the same, Bush wanted more money to spend and got it, Obama wanted more money to spend and got it. Why not just turn over your entire paycheck to them and call it a day huh? Maybe you can start waiting in line for them to provide something for you. Bread anyone?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"Real life" is a broad term. The government exists for the welfare of the people, the states and the country as a whole. That is very real.

Having said that, IMHO, people who don't believe in government created and run by the people should just stay out of it, and be who they are. I would certainly never vote for a person who holds this idea, that government is a terrible thing to have, and incapable to do anything even as national security and welfare of the people is at stake. Its akin to making an incorrigible thief in-charge of a jewelry store.

Government exists because the people exist, the rights are held to the people not the government . I find it funny how you think government is providing welfare for the people. Really how?
If you steal from your friend to pay your other friend via force is this welfare or something else. I also would like to know since when did the idea what people in control of their own lives make them theives. If anything government creates more theives and does more selling then the tax payers. As far as defense of a nation, last time I looked that was in the constitution and it clearly states the people should be armed as well.
For example if mexico or Canada invaded the US or any other nation we really wont need the government to defend our lives, our friends and family and our nation. I can assure you Every american would become a solider overnight and ready to defend our freedom. Government isnt terrible its just often people in government believe government exists to provide things they have no business in doing.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It may be impossible for many of you to get it but to draw a parallel: a building can be brought down in a matter of hours, and to expect anybody to rebuild it in a shorter time is simply being illogical. You don't see a difference, because that is the best excuse you've learned to live with.

Learn to keep your emotions aside and you just might gain a better perspective.

If you want to rebuild a nation get the government out of the way.
If you want a bridge built you get the government out of the way.
If you want waste, spending, steal, kill people and have mass destruction you put the government in charge of your life. Bush 8 years is an example of government out of control and Obama is the same thing and same course. Government has the power to take peoples lives, money and break up familes and jail people for no reason. Microsoft doesnt do that last time I checked we willing give them money for computers and software. What do you willing give government? Small list huh? Nations arent build from presidents or governments, people make nations its usually the government that screws it up.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
If you want to rebuild a nation get the government out of the way.
If you want waste, spending, steal, kill people and have mass destruction you put the government in charge of your life. Bush 8 years is an example of government out of control and Obama is the same thing and same course. Government has the power to take peoples lives, money and break up familes and jail people for no reason. Microsoft doesnt do that last time I checked we willing give them money for computers and software. What do you willing give government? Small list huh? Nations arent build from presidents or governments, people make nations its usually the government that screws it up.
If anyone else in here was from New Jersey they would understand why we feel that way.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyandjusticeforall View Post
if you want to rebuild a nation get the government out of the way.
If you want waste, spending, steal, kill people and have mass destruction you put the government in charge of your life. Bush 8 years is an example of government out of control and obama is the same thing and same course. Government has the power to take peoples lives, money and break up familes and jail people for no reason. Microsoft doesnt do that last time i checked we willing give them money for computers and software. What do you willing give government? Small list huh? Nations arent build from presidents or governments, people make nations its usually the government that screws it up.
^ this!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Yes this is all Government of which I clearly stated several times. Ronald Reagan was no saint and he even clearly stated on his presidental farewell speech that was his greatest disappointment. As far as Bush's tax cuts I got a tax cut I wouldnt call myself rich, did I get richer or did I just get the money that was already in my paycheck. I think maybe you have this crazy idea when you look at your paycheck maybe that your money doesn't belong to you. Even the person making 20,000 a year got a tax cut, or should I say more of the money in their check that they already earned. If it was up to me the federal income tax would be removed from all Americans period. I see nothing fair about taxing anyone for working.
As far as Obama goes if a boat is sinking you don't throw more water into the boat. We are 9 trillion in debt with bush, Obama made it 11 trillion.
We are in Iraq and Obama sends in more troops. If you can explain those 2 moves I would gladly give Obama a chance. But logic and common sense tells me the planned of continued economic and social destruction is right on course. So will agree Obama and Bush are just the same, Bush wanted more money to spend and got it, Obama wanted more money to spend and got it. Why not just turn over your entire paycheck to them and call it a day huh? Maybe you can start waiting in line for them to provide something for you. Bread anyone?
? Are you basing your conclusion that Bush and Obama are the same on the fact that you're taxed by both?

We're increasing our presence in Afgh because that's where al-Quaeda is. Pakistan is letting us in to their country from Afgh for this purpose. We're already a presence in Iraq.
In a war that still has no end in sight, Obama said the fresh infusion of U.S. forces is designed to bolster the Afghan army and turn up the heat on terrorists that he said are plotting new attacks against Americans. The plan takes aim at terrorist havens in Pakistan and challenges the government there and in Afghanistan to show more results.

Obama called the situation in the region “increasingly perilous” more than seven years after the Taliban was removed from power in Afghanistan.

Obama unveils Afghanistan plan - Afghanistan- msnbc.com
Do you call that responsible, or irresponsible?

"We are 9 trillion in debt with bush, Obama made it 11 trillion." -- seriously, do you think he's just been spending for the malicious joy of it? Im sure some of you believe this. If it hadnt been for the bailouts -- and th enational debt debt clock hit $11 T in March 2009 btw -- his spending would be entirely reasonable; go back and look at his spending plans pre-Sept 2008. He stepped up to tackle that and the shameful neglect of our domestic infrastructure and education - he's not being a coward, the way prev admins have been.

Plus he's pushing PAYGO as the way to get things paid for, just as he said he would when he was campaigning.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-10-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: paygo sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies