Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Cant believe I'd ever find myself agreeing with Michael Smerconish but he's completely right on in this case.

CD RWs also should take this short-sighted fantasy to its logical conclusion -- Smerconish explains, quickly.

He also points out, "Two distinctly different issues are being blended here...this movement is about nothing other than trying to undermine the President of the United States, lest there be some success on his watch....."this is nothing but a gimmick and a play to the Base." (So maybe this crazy woman is crazy like a fox.)

It's so easy to say "let them fail," but letting them fail would have been a really, really stupid idea. Some clues as to why are brought up here.

Hardball with Chris Matthews

The above is a video; if it doesnt load, the video is "Conservatives: Boycott GM" in the left column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's so easy to say "let them fail," but letting them fail would have been a really, really stupid idea. Some clues as to why are brought up here.
In order for this statement to be accurate, bankruptcy would = failure.

It doesnt, bankruptcy means reorganize, many were calling for companies like GM to file bankruptcy, i.e. reorganize before wasting tens of billions of taxpayer dollars..

Anyone proclaims that "let them fail" = failure is uneducated on what a bankruptcy process means because rarely does it mean they go out of business. Even Lehman is still in business..

Last edited by pghquest; 06-10-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Just saw a TV interview with a Chrysler dealer - right across the street from him was a Dodge dealer (also a Chrysler brand).
Chrysler dealer is celebrating....
He is getting a freebie Dodge franchise (no, he does not have to pay for the franchise. Yes, the "former" Dodge dealer across the street did have to pay for the franchise when he started his company and NO, he is NOT getting any compensation for giving up his franchise).
The Chrysler dealer is going to buy the Dodge dealers inventory. Of course, he then gets to sell it for a higher profit.
Chrysler dealer will be selling an increased number of vehicles since he now also offers Dodge brand.
Dodge dealer across the street loses his business which he has had for years.

The Feds have had a close hand in the bailouts/bankruptcies of Chrysler & GM. There is no denying that the Feds have been calling the shots including the manner of dealerships closing.

Pensions, such as that of the state of Indiana, were invested in Chrysler (others in GM) as bondholders and preferred stockholders.

Unions have been given preference over creditors.

The US Federal Government & Obama have basically declared many contracts as worth little to nothing.

Woman is crazy for calling for a boycott?
She has a lot of reason to do so.

My whish for those who see no problem with how the govt has handled the auto industry:
I hope you become in a position where you are treated unfairly in a similar circumstance.

Quote:
The Indiana State Teachers Retirement Fund, Indiana State Police Pension Trust and Indiana Major Move Construction Fund purchased $17 million worth of Chrysler bonds that would lose more than 70 percent of their value under the merger worked out by President Barack Obama's automotive advisory task force. Bonds are a kind of loan.

"I did not determine how the secured creditors were going to be treated and have 150 years of American law thrown out the window.'' State vows Chrysler appeal | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star
BTW, interesting tidbit:
Quote:
In September 2008, a downturn in sales affected all automakers, including Chrysler, whose sales were down 32.8 percent. That fall, Chrysler began a search for a merger partner. The effort soon focused on a potential merger with G.M., but talks were put on hold while both companies sought government funds to prevent their imminent failure. Chrysler LLC News - The New York Times

Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Cant believe I'd ever find myself agreeing with Michael Smerconish but he's completely right on in this case.

CD RWs also should take this short-sighted fantasy to its logical conclusion -- Smerconish explains, quickly.

He also points out, "Two distinctly different issues are being blended here...this movement is about nothing other than trying to undermine the President of the United States, lest there be some success on his watch....."this is nothing but a gimmick and a play to the Base." (So maybe this crazy woman is crazy like a fox.)

Hardball with Chris Matthews

The above is a video; if it doesnt load, the video is "Conservatives: Boycott GM" in the left column.
Ed Schultz talked about this too - he's steamed, and he's right.

Unpatriotic, self-serving, winning-elections-is-the-goal policitians need to get a real job or start serving the american people. Winning elections should not be the main goal, as the republicans seem to think.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Smerconish. I've listened to him for years( at least 10) and he's radically shifted his stance on politics and social issues now that more money has been thrown his way and he's (sort of) gotten into the big leagues. From a mostly conservative, yet mainstream, host he's shifted into the "Mr. nice guy, take no sides, play along with anybody that will have me on the air". Smart from a personal and financial standpoint, but anybody that's known him knows that him being on CNN or MSNBC is pretty much just a sham. He's just sold out. Even Oreilly moderated from being conservative and yet extremely mainstream to being more middle of the road because of the like of Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh.
Smerconish is not unlike Ed Shultz who started out as a conservative, got nowhere, so he migrated to the left where there was a huge absence of talent. So he rose to the top in a weaker market. No shame in that, he just has no credibility. If the right wasn't already so crowded, Keith Olbermann would have jumped at the chance to be a right wing pit bull. He's the same kind of shill.
All that being said, I'm a GM car owner and have never owned anything else. Will I buy another new GM car? Not likely. Not that I think their cars are bad now, they are very good, but I think they will have problems in the near future. I'm not buying some econobox and I'm not buying a SUV made in China. And I think prices will be a problem and I think tax increases will help pay for them being built. Screw that, I don't enable failure.
I'll buy a newer used SUV and hold onto it for 10 years until the company or the country gets itself straightened out.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Just saw a TV interview with a Chrysler dealer - right across the street from him was a Dodge dealer (also a Chrysler brand).
Chrysler dealer is celebrating....
He is getting a freebie Dodge franchise (no, he does not have to pay for the franchise. Yes, the "former" Dodge dealer across the street did have to pay for the franchise when he started his company and NO, he is NOT getting any compensation for giving up his franchise).
The Chrysler dealer is going to buy the Dodge dealers inventory. Of course, he then gets to sell it for a higher profit.
Chrysler dealer will be selling an increased number of vehicles since he now also offers Dodge brand.
Dodge dealer across the street loses his business which he has had for years.

The Feds have had a close hand in the bailouts/bankruptcies of Chrysler & GM. There is no denying that the Feds have been calling the shots including the manner of dealerships closing.

Pensions, such as that of the state of Indiana, were invested in Chrysler (others in GM) as bondholders and preferred stockholders.

Unions have been given preference over creditors.

The US Federal Government & Obama have basically declared many contracts as worth little to nothing.

Woman is crazy for calling for a boycott?
She has a lot of reason to do so.

My whish for those who see no problem with how the govt has handled the auto industry:
I hope you become in a position where you are treated unfairly in a similar circumstance.

BTW, interesting tidbit:

another interesting tidbit about the chrysler deal:

Now that the justices have stayed out of the case, and Chrysler's alliance with Italy's Fiat (FIA.MI) closed on June 10, it appears that anyone with a pending injury claim against Chrysler has no hope of a recovery. What's more, under Gonzalez's order, the newly constituted Chrysler is shielded from suits filed by anyone injured in a FUTURE accident involving the 31 million Chrysler vehicles currently on the roads.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:15 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Ed Schultz talked about this too - he's steamed, and he's right.

Unpatriotic, self-serving, winning-elections-is-the-goal policitians need to get a real job or start serving the american people. Winning elections should not be the main goal, as the republicans seem to think.
HAHAHAAHHA How blatently Ignorant ; Republicans only think winning elections is the main goal AHHAHAHAAH

Yes it is only the Republican politicians who have winning elections as the main goal.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
another interesting tidbit about the chrysler deal:

Now that the justices have stayed out of the case, and Chrysler's alliance with Italy's Fiat (FIA.MI) closed on June 10, it appears that anyone with a pending injury claim against Chrysler has no hope of a recovery. What's more, under Gonzalez's order, the newly constituted Chrysler is shielded from suits filed by anyone injured in a FUTURE accident involving the 31 million Chrysler vehicles currently on the roads.
Scary.
Wonder how that will play out with GM?

Was really surprised by the justices decisions - guess I should not have been.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
HAHAHAAHHA How blatently Ignorant ; Republicans only think winning elections is the main goal AHHAHAHAAH

Yes it is only the Republican politicians who have winning elections as the main goal.
Ahh.
See, I didn't use the word only.
Do you just fill in the gaps when you don't have all the information?
Make things up?
Reading problems?
Logic issues?

In this case - I haven't seen democrats threatening to boycott american made products.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
If a American company tells me they are American.. Has all their parts made in mexico, canada, China and Japan even most of the cars built in mexico and Canada they are a two faced lair. I say WHY bail them out in the first place. You abandoned most of America a long time ago. Your made stupid union polices that cost your Company to go into the red cutting all potential for growth. You were DOOMED to fail!! You are a company not a social newtork, a government program or a church you make cars. That is all you do.
DIE!!!!! Close the doors and let it a lesson to the business world.
You mess up you go under no matter how big or small your done.
Its called free enterprise and no govenrment program, government money will save you because you are flawed to the core.
Also since the government is now running parts of your marketing it will probably be even worse. What the hell does government know about cars, selling cars or what Americans want. The only thing that can tell a car company what people want is when they buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies