Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Most of the foreign debt is 1-5yr bonds. So basically, we've taken out a teaser rate on our debt similar to how loser home speculators took our teaser rates hoping to "flip this house" to the next sucker. When those bonds mature, what is the likelihood that hot money, likely bought by other central banks rather than individual investors, will be reinvested into another short term treasury security? None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Headline news; Prejean and Palin.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I never said it was going to have a positive effect - in fact I said just the opposite, but it's hardly a disaster, was to be expected at some point, and in fact reflects the relative good news in the overall trends of what's happened so far in regards to the recession approaching the bottom. And of course, bond rates are still VERY LOW even now.

Ken
are you saying russia selling their treasuries was to be expected?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
are you saying russia selling their treasuries was to be expected?
No, I'm saying it's not indicative of some mass sudden dumping of the dollar. The fact is, NO ONE can afford to let that happen - NO ONE - not the US, not the Chinese, not the Russians.

Ken

Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
No, I'm saying it's not indicative of some mass sudden dumping of the dollar. The fact is, NO ONE can afford to let that happen - NO ONE - not the US, not the Chinese, not the Russians.

Ken
Fear mongering BS with zero evidence to support it.

Consuming is so fun and easy, and anyone can do it. Well, anyone with something reciprocal to exchange. That's where new trade agreements between Aus <-> China, Russia <-> China, Vietnam <-> Aus, etc come in. America is irrelevant to these countries, as evidenced by the recent dollar dumping and stalling of treasury purchases.

But TurboTax Tim suuuuuuuure is entertaining to the Chinese students.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Ken
Never say never.

The talk of this started months ago. There are deals in place already to use other currencies. The number of countries in favor of replacing the dollar is growing.

I don't think there would be a mass dumping. I think it would take place slowly as it seems to be doing today.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think so (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - but provide proof). I believe the rate on such government debt is determined at the time of sale - meaning that current debt interest rate is already fixed at whatever rate it was sold at to begin with, so a jump in rates now only affects bonds that are sold at the new rate - not all the other bonds sitting out there.

I am incorrect in that assumption?

Ken
Kind of correct.
Yes, the rates are determined at the time of sale, but in the past, the government has been known to refinance higher yielding bonds with lower, newer rates yielding a HUGE savings to the taxpayers. Clinton used this method substantially to cut down on the national deficit to help balance the budget.

With the rates going up, it means that as the lower 10 year bonds sold during the Clinton administration mature, they need to be refinanced at the current, new, higher rates that bonds are being sold for.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Kind of correct.
Yes, the rates are determined at the time of sale, but in the past, the government has been known to refinance higher yielding bonds with lower, newer rates yielding a HUGE savings to the taxpayers. Clinton used this method substantially to cut down on the national deficit to help balance the budget.

With the rates going up, it means that as the lower 10 year bonds sold during the Clinton administration mature, they need to be refinanced at the current, new, higher rates that bonds are being sold for.
Actually, 10 year bonds sold during the Clinton years were mostly set in 5-6-7% range (with very few sold below 5% - and none below 4%, lowest I see on the table (remembering that I've got OLD eyes) is around 4.16% and those super low numbers were only for a VERY SHORT TIME) so until we get significantly higher than we are now, renewing 10 year bonds is a GOOD deal for the US government.

So, the method you describe Clinton doing is a very real possiblity for Obama - and in fact we may be doing so (I don't know). As I said, 4% rates are very very low by historical standards. Under Reagan they got up to close to 16%.

Ken

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Actually, 10 year bonds sold during the Clinton years were mostly set in 5-6-7% range (with very few sold below 5% - and none below 4%, lowest I see on the table (remembering that I've got OLD eyes) is around 4.16% and those super low numbers were only for a VERY SHORT TIME) so until we get significantly higher than we are now, renewing 10 year bonds is a GOOD deal for the US government.

So, the method you describe Clinton doing is a very real possiblity for Obama - and in fact we may be doing so (I don't know). As I said, 4% rates are very very low by historical standards. Under Reagan they got up to close to 16%.

Ken
Yes, Clinton was refinancing those Reagan bonds for a HUGE savings to the taxpayers. The problem was they didnt save, they just increased spending. (i.e. government).

Jan 99, bond rates were at 4.3% so yes, a refinancing of them now would = savings until you start to add in brokers and underwriting fees which are computed on top of the interest paid. Dont know what the fee is, but we arent that far away from 4.3% right now so it wouldnt be hard to see how we would surpass that mark after adding in the fees.. Lets not even discuss compounded interest on top of compounded fees etc to refinance the same debt over and over etc..

And no, I am not arguing that this is Obamas blame (that bonds need refinanced) but one does need to look at the amount being financed and then look at who's doing all of the spending.. Its no longer Republicans..

Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, Clinton was refinancing those Reagan bonds for a HUGE savings to the taxpayers. The problem was they didnt save, they just increased spending. (i.e. government).

Jan 99, bond rates were at 4.3% so yes, a refinancing of them now would = savings until you start to add in brokers and underwriting fees which are computed on top of the interest paid. Dont know what the fee is, but we arent that far away from 4.3% right now so it wouldnt be hard to see how we would surpass that mark after adding in the fees.. Lets not even discuss compounded interest on top of compounded fees etc to refinance the same debt over and over etc..
Well, there is no doubt that the bond rates WILL be driven upwards - especially as the economy recovers so I would expect rates to continue to climb from what are truly artificially low rates at the moment. Although that WILL make the recovery more difficult, I'm not personally concerned until rates get at least to historical norms - say, above 6% or so. In truth an increase to 4% wouldn't even be worthy of mention if it wasn't for the fact that the economy is so poor and we are counting on low interest rates helping us recover.

Quote:
And no, I am not arguing that this is Obamas blame (that bonds need refinanced) but one does need to look at the amount being financed and then look at who's doing all of the spending.. Its no longer Republicans..
Well it's definitely on the Democrats now - and I'm not particularly excited at the prospect of all that spending. All I can say it that this IS an economic emergency and I believe the spending is simply necessary right now. I know you disagree but that's the approach the Administration is taking - and I agree with it - as opposed to Bush and the GOP running up the deficit at a time when they SHOULD have been paying it off (ie relatively good economy - of course now it becomes apparent that it was only good because of the housing bubble (but that' another topic)).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies