Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As for Huckabee being a RINO:

He increased taxes more than almost any other governor and opposes school choice.

"Huckabee has called for increased federal spending on a variety of programs from infrastructure to health care. He wants more energy subsidies, including, naturally, more subsidies for ethanol. In fact, he supports increased agricultural subsidies generally. He is the only Republican candidate who opposes President Bush's veto of the Democrats' proposed expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program, and he is skeptical of most conservative proposals for entitlement reform....Huckabee often appears to be channeling John Edwards...He rails against high corporate profits and attacks free trade agreements. As governor, he raised the minimum wage and increased business regulation. He says it is "a biblical duty" to pass more regulation to fight global warming."

Huckabee: The Biggest Big-Government Conservative | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Commentary

also:

Know Your RINO (http://www.knowyourrino.com/Pres08/Huckabee.htm - broken link)
Yikes we are a big tent party. You can have Huckabees and conservatives. One mans RINO is another mans main streem Republican.
Well I guess the whole biblical duty thing shoots you White Christian theory.

Any theories on why the inner city folks support the dems and are taken for granted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's funny, because I honestly don't get how someone can completely disregard a public school system. Hmm. I'm funny like that.

I care more about people I guess, I'm funny like that.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
As for Huckabee being a RINO:

He increased taxes more than almost any other governor and opposes school choice.

"Huckabee has called for increased federal spending on a variety of programs from infrastructure to health care. He wants more energy subsidies, including, naturally, more subsidies for ethanol. In fact, he supports increased agricultural subsidies generally. He is the only Republican candidate who opposes President Bush's veto of the Democrats' proposed expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program, and he is skeptical of most conservative proposals for entitlement reform....Huckabee often appears to be channeling John Edwards...He rails against high corporate profits and attacks free trade agreements. As governor, he raised the minimum wage and increased business regulation. He says it is "a biblical duty" to pass more regulation to fight global warming."

Huckabee: The Biggest Big-Government Conservative | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Commentary

also:

Know Your RINO (http://www.knowyourrino.com/Pres08/Huckabee.htm - broken link)

BTW, conservative CA Republican Congressman Howard McKeown represents some areas that could be described as "suburban ghettoes", with high minority populations, sky-high levels of all types of crime, considerable gang activity, high poverty rates, etc. What has he done for the poor, whether minorities or not, of his district? Nothing.
I have no idea who Howard McKeown is. You point to one Republican would you like a list of Dems?

Although I did find this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_McKeon

"As a member of the House, he has made education and defense issues two of his main priorities. He was greatly involved in the reform of the Student Loan Aid Program, which reduced interest rates"

I'd say that is something.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Interestingly enough with the exception of crime, and I have no idea what standard we are using to measure happiness, liberal big cities are leaps and bounds ahead of rural republican areas in those measurements

Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Interestingly enough with the exception of crime, and I have no idea what standard we are using to measure happiness, liberal big cities are leaps and bounds ahead of rural republican areas.

Interstingly enough I have no idea what you mean?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well I guess the whole biblical duty thing shoots you White Christian theory.
Palin didn't talk about economics at all, unlike Huck. She talked mostly about social issues.

Quote:
Any theories on why the inner city folks support the dems and are taken for granted?
Entrenched politicians are out for themselves and themselves only regardless of the poverty levels of their districts, whether we're talking about Dems like Maxine Waters and Charlie Rangel or Republicans like McKeown.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
I care more about people I guess, I'm funny like that.
LOL, ok, & I care that santa has good healthcare. Are we even?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I have no idea who Howard McKeown is. You point to one Republican would you like a list of Dems?
I know who many of those Dems are already, and listed a couple in another post in this thread.

The bottom line is that entrenched politicians, regardless of party, become creatures of Washington (or their state capitals) and only pretend to care about the needs of their troubled districts when it's election time. This isn't a red/blue issue. What did Jesse Helms ever do for poor rural whites in Appalachian areas of North Carolina or poor blacks in Durham? What did George Allen ever do for poor blacks in Richmond or for poor whites in Virginia's Appalachian areas?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 PM

TBF, when McKeown was first elected to Congress, the ethnic composition of his district was radically different than it is today. The suburbs that are now ghetto suburbs were either white working class or they were only beginning to suburbanize.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Palin didn't talk about economics at all, unlike Huck. She talked mostly about social issues.

Entrenched politicians are out for themselves and themselves only regardless of the poverty levels of their districts, whether we're talking about Dems like Maxine Waters and Charlie Rangel or Republicans like McKeown.

Huckabee was stridently pro life. There wasn't a soul who was following the election who didn't know where he stood on social issues. Of course Palin spoke about social issues it was her strongest area of knowlwdge.

Maybe so still doesn't explain why inner city people vote for folks who use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies