Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Support the act below?
Yes 23 24.21%
No 72 75.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times

Advertisements

Every political party and group is guilty of having their own agenda. You have to realize that you cant judge the actions of a few on the whole group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,359 posts, read 2,291,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It's Republicans that do that? Not the Democrats, who like to go on & on about freedom of speech, while trying to silence speech with which they disagree, with legislation like the (un)Fairness Act?
i thought the media was liberal, wouldnt the fairness act even out the playing field for the right?

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
i thought the media was liberal, wouldnt the fairness act even out the playing field for the right?
Good point. I'll have to remember that one.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh give it a rest with the conspiracy theories, will ya?

Do you trust Fox News?

White House: Obama Opposes 'Fairness Doctrine' Revival - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/18/white-house-opposes-fairness-doctrine/ - broken link)
First, I never brought up any conspiracy theory. Second, I never said that President Obama wanted to enact the fairness doctrine, I said that Democrats want to. You can't pretend to not have heard the discussions about it in recent months. In the article you linked, it says, "The debate over the so-called Fairness Doctrine has heated up in recent days as prominent Democratic senators have called for the policies to be reinstated." I wonder if those prominent Democrat senators have spoken out in favor of free speech.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
And that is exactly what I am getting at. If Those religious groups that fight so hard for others to do as they please had to give up the right to practice religion publicly, they would fight for it saying it is their right to practice their religion where they want. Most religious people only think of their way of life as being right and do not think that any other way should be practiced, especially if someone is happy.
What you have said makes no sense, for a large majority of Americans are religious. Some are happy, some aren't, some are liberal, some aren't, some are Republican, some are Democrat...and so on.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Actually, the version that most of those in favor of it prefer would NOT even anythnig out for the right, as it specifically targets RADIO, where the right is apparently very strong and for some reason the left can't seem to grab hold, and specifically avoids television, which is, as you say liberal. Funny that, eh?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Why should anyone's right to their religious freedoms be limited? Fact is, no ones right to practice their religious should ever be stifled.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Actually, the version that most of those in favor of it prefer would NOT even anythnig out for the right, as it specifically targets RADIO, and specifically avoids television. Funny that, eh?
so now radio is not part of the media?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 PM

A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to arouse interest but long enough to cover the essentials.

sorry just had to get this in here.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I wouldn't sign the act or vote for it.
I doubt such an act would even get many signatures and I wouldn't be surprised to find those who took the petition around to be harassed and such.

People can pray wherever they want. Just don't try to make me join you.
You can be religious all you want...just don't impose your views of morality on me, don't knock on my door trying to convert me, don't ask me for donations or tithes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies