Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

I will change the name, but it occurred to me while watching the ranting on tv this evening.

This actually happened. I will call the girl- Trish, she was a supervisor of 15 people. (as her manager, I didnt witness what happened, but another supervisor told me).

A call representative- say her name was ...Nancy. She is known at the bank as abrasive. Anyway she basically does her job. She is older than her supervisor, Trish. Trish is white, Nancy is African American. (Trish does have a reputation for being a bit emotional.

One day, while spending time arguing, Trish told nancy to get back on the phone, or she would "hit her over the head". Nancy went back to her seat, violated company policy by using her phone and called 911 saying she was being assaulted. The police arrived at the bank.

What does everyone think of this scenario?. I am not condoning any of it- but will add to the story later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Hard to judge without more info.

I've worked in some situations where despite differences and some abrasiveness saying something like "I'll hit you on the head" would be laughingly accepted as "get back to work" and other situations where it would be a definite no-no.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Who got fired....Trish or Nancy?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I imagine Trish got fired for threatening an employee. There are people who use situations like that to the strongest possible effect, right or wrong.

Whether it should have been taken lightly or not, does not matter. You cannot be too careful when dealing with employees or the general public, for that matter. If it does not get you fired, you will get hit with a law suit.

That's how things work these days.

How did it really turn out?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
It is against the law to threaten people with violence in the workplace. Many companies have very clear policies against it. If she said that, then that sounds like a threat to me.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Good question! ILNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Who got fired....Trish or Nancy?
okay so there is a second part to this. Trish got fired by the HR Vice President . (they sent an email to management-us-saying it was due to her "violating company policy")

trish was a good worker- had never done anything prior to that. Was there 5 years.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
What do I think? I think that 911 was not created to field comments and squabbles. Was this woman literally afraid for her life? Why then did she continue sitting in the same chair and just make the call? If I were literally afraid someone was going to bash me over the head, I'd go running and yell for help. I wouldn't hang out at my chair, make a call and hang out waiting the 11-12-ish or so minutes for the cops to show up. I mean if it were literally an emergency she would have been dead by then!

I think that 911 being taken up for idiocy like this BETTER not get in the way of MY being able to get through one day should someone be trying to kidnap my baby or rob my house...that's what *I* think.

Was Trish in the wrong? Yes. A manager can't say stuff like that...not even joking. It is of course hard to say. Did she run up to Nancy screaming it? Did she wave her fist? Conversely, has it been a habit with them (until this point) to joke around? "One of these days, Alice, pow right in the kisser!" or something like that?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Apparently-

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hard to judge without more info.

I've worked in some situations where despite differences and some abrasiveness saying something like "I'll hit you on the head" would be laughingly accepted as "get back to work" and other situations where it would be a definite no-no.
Human resources apparently did not view it as a laughing matter. (They are rarely in the bank department- things like this go on weekly).

Three days later, nancy was irritated by a co-worker (they sit in the same small cubicle for 10 hours-minus lunch.) A girl named Rhonda. Rhonda was bending over picking tacks up off the floor. nancy backed up in the chair, injuring Rhonda's jaw.

What should the company do?

Thats the full story. Except for what HR did/didn't do. I am really interested what everyone thinks here.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Was Trish in the wrong? Yes. A manager can't say stuff like that...not even joking.
So Trish, was, essentially fired for stupidity.

Which may not be PC...but jeeze, wouldn't the world be better place?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
What should the company do?
Uhm, hire some Six Sigma Black Belts to look into the situation.

Then tank the whole opperation and off-shore to India.

The stockholders will rally at such a win-win and the BOD will vote for a 120% salary increase , plus a bonus and some stock options, for the CEO.

Cha-ching.

What's my prize?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies