Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,997,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Come to Ka-lee-for-nee-ah.

"California Assembly Bill 390 would legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana for adults over 21."

yes390
I saw a t.v. segment on The Emerald Triangle that was amazing; the pot industry is keeping Mendocino County afloat. The revenue it generates is
incredibly high. As a medicinal herb, it works wonders with patients undergoing chemotherapy. The Bible doesn't advocate the stoning to death of users. Approving its medicinal use is a possibility being passed around in the Illinois legislature. Both the LaGuardia and Nixon reports found no evidence of reefer madness; many of the arguments against its use went up in smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Is this for real, is it possible this would pass? Any idea how it would square with federal drug laws?
It's very real. I'm not informed enough to comment on how it would square with federal drug laws.

Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,690,660 times
Quote:
It's very real. I'm not informed enough to comment on how it would square with federal drug laws.

Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow that would be groundbreaking. I bet many states would follow their lead.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,423,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Legalize it.

But keep company drug test zero tolerance policies in place. The last thing I would want is more stoned train engineers killing people.
This.

One flaw with your statement though - a drug test does not test for THC intoxication, only the presence of metabolites. This lasts for much longer than any psychoactive effects. There needs to be a more reliable test for current intoxication.

Good to see some of the "drug warriors" are finally coming around. There's strength in numbers, so maybe soon it won't require lawmakers to be so "brave." Discussion about legalization is almost mainstream now.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Good to see some of the "drug warriors" are finally coming around. There's strength in numbers, so maybe soon it won't require lawmakers to be so "brave." Discussion about legalization is almost mainstream now.
There's a real live Libertarian judge in Orange County, California. I like what he says about it:

Orange County Superior Court Judge James Gray, a longtime proponent of legalization, estimates that legalizing marijuana and thus ceasing to arrest, prosecute and imprison nonviolent offenders could save the state $1 billion a year. "We couldn't make this drug any more available if we tried," he says. "Not only do we have those problems, along with glamorizing it by making it illegal, but we also have the crime and corruption that go along with it." He adds, "Unfortunately, every society in the history of mankind has had some form of mind-altering, sometimes addictive substances to use, to misuse, abuse or get addicted to. Get used to it. They're here to stay. So let's try to reduce those harms, and right now we couldn't do it worse if we tried."

Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy? - TIME

Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,594,088 times
If it were legalized, I would probably smoke occasionally at home in the evenings, in place of having a couple of vodka and tonics. Similar relaxion and buzz, near zero issues in the morning with marijuana vs. not getting a good nights sleep when drinking.

LEGALIZE IT!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM

36,924 posts, read 18,791,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Agreed - but if I had to choose between a drunk train engineer and a stoned one.. I'd prefer the latter.
Yeah. It might take a month longer to get where you're going, but it would definitely be a safer ride.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,419,494 times
I'm absolutely in favor of legalizing it. Many states are now making simple possession of it a misdemeanor instead of a crime.

I'm for legalizing small amounts for personal use, and if the govt. were to do this then they would have to adopt some kind of legal reference for how much one can have, how to get it, etc. etc.. It's a can of worms and I dont see it happening, much easier to impose stiff fines and confiscate anything and everything that might have been purchased with drug profits.

You want to know whats more addictive than drugs? Power.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 PM

923 posts, read 1,423,007 times
Quote:
There's a real live Libertarian judge in Orange County, California. I like what he says about it:

YouTube - JUDGE ***** SLAPS MARIJUANA LAWS (Judge Part 1 of 3)

YouTube - Judge Jim Gray Part 2: 5 Reason To Decriminalize Marijuana

YouTube - Judge Jim Gray Part 3: Medical Marijuana

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,423,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You want to know whats more addictive than drugs?
For governments, it's the war on drugs that's addictive.

It's one of those things that for decades the public has allowed a blank check for funding and furthering on the assumption that there was a way to eliminate the issues of drug use/abuse through legislation and enforcement. Now that the part of the "war" where people actually get killed is at our border, people are finally taking sense.

But for a long time it's been an easy way to rally political support, show you're "tough on crime" as a politician and make a lot of money for prison construction contractors. You build 'em we fill 'em. And we get to pay to feed and house a bunch of people who shouldn't be in prison, unless they were irresponsible enough to commit an actual crime (say, vehicular homicide).

There is the issue of people driving stoned but they scare me less than the people driving drunk or talking on the cellphone, putting on makeup etc. Drugs or not, people do stupid **** behind the wheel all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies