Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i wouldn't worry about that aspect. the stuff is so easy to grow that people would start growing their own. a great many people would do that even if taxes stayed reasonable, so i think the idea that this would be some kind of cash cow for tax revenues is very misguided.
I agree that a whole lot of people would grow instead of buy. But people still do things for convenience and will still buy especially with the high qualities being produced. It's like food. People can and do make their own but if someone can do it better, they will eat out. Even if the legalization isn't quite the cash cow many feel it will be, it will still save money. First by drastically reducing, or eliminating the present cost of policing it. Second by reducing the cost of incarcerating pot dealers. And third by the revenue from sales however reduced by home growers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:24 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i wouldn't worry about that aspect. the stuff is so easy to grow that people would start growing their own. a great many people would do that even if taxes stayed reasonable, so i think the idea that this would be some kind of cash cow for tax revenues is very misguided.
Tobacco can be grown too yet people still go in the stores and buy it.

You guys are just thinking marijuana but if that became legal so would hemp. The amount of income created from hemp would surpass anything 10 fold. Hemp can be used to make almost anything and help out American farmers tremendously on top of creating new jobs.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Tobacco can be grown too yet people still go in the stores and buy it.

You guys are just thinking marijuana but if that became legal so would hemp. The amount of income created from hemp would surpass anything 10 fold. Hemp can be used to make almost anything and help out American farmers tremendously on top of creating new jobs.
Well. You know where our minds are then...Isn't the government already harvesting hemp?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,328 times
Default Is now the time to legalize pot?

Good article

Fairfield County Weekly: News - The Marijuana Question

Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Well. You know where our minds are then...Isn't the government already harvesting hemp?
Heh people do not understand that this is bigger then some guy who wants to smoke pot. We could reduce our dependence on foreign oil, provide electricity for our homes, etc . I don't believe the government is harvesting hemp the last time I recall the government harvesting hemp was during WWII.

Another thing too is because marijuana is illegal it puts a hamper on medical research.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:47 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,328 times
Default The Manageable Marijuana Debate

Medical Updates - The Manageable Marijuana Debate | Health News (http://www.healthnews.com/medical-updates/the-manageable-marijuana-debate-3303.html - broken link)

Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Heh people do not understand that this is bigger then some guy who wants to smoke pot. We could reduce our dependence on foreign oil, provide electricity for our homes, etc . I don't believe the government is harvesting hemp the last time I recall the government harvesting hemp was during WWII.

Another thing too is because marijuana is illegal it puts a hamper on medical research.
The current drug policies seem completely ridiculous. All joking aside, it seems priorities are out of whack. It also seems that having possible, and substantial, revenues would be reason enough for changes to be made. I believe there has been more "open" dialogue in the last four months from this administration than at any time since the 1970's. We'll see...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Medical Updates - The Manageable Marijuana Debate | Health News (http://www.healthnews.com/medical-updates/the-manageable-marijuana-debate-3303.html - broken link)
Good article Whitem3. ..."With marijuana being lumped into the decades-long “war on drugs” supporters say marijuana is only as harmful, if not less, than the addictive and currently legal drugs—nicotine and alcohol (and those seem to be abused in epidemic proportions). With the addition of “medical cannabis” being prescribed in doctors’ offices around the country, pot seems to be a calm-inducing wonder drug that isn’t doing anything but easing people’s pain and making everyone a little happier (and in some cases hungrier). Some supporters argue that while the spread of weed may be large at first, it is no different than other countries practice of lowering the drinking age and the “rebel” appeal will eventually wear off."

To quote Tom Petty..."let's get to the point and smoke another joint..."

Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,108 times
Let's legalize other harmful drugs, too!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I agree that a whole lot of people would grow instead of buy. But people still do things for convenience and will still buy especially with the high qualities being produced. It's like food. People can and do make their own but if someone can do it better, they will eat out.
that's correct, people will pay for convenience - but only up to a point. and having pot plant on your windowsill is pretty much the epitome of convenience for a smoker.

Quote:
Even if the legalization isn't quite the cash cow many feel it will be, it will still save money. First by drastically reducing, or eliminating the present cost of policing it. Second by reducing the cost of incarcerating pot dealers. And third by the revenue from sales however reduced by home growers.
i agree with all of that. i just think that, if legalization actually happens, a whole bunch of folks who are counting on some sort of cash windfall from marijuana taxes are going to be hugely disappointed.
because if it's legal, there are going to be absolutely massive numbers of people growing it themselves. and a single plant can easily represent a year's supply for 3-4 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies