Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
The living constitution is an extremist view only to extremists.
Meh. Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

When you're one of the few sane people surrounded by crazy people in an asylum, the majority factor does not make those people any more sane.

The fact that Al "The earth is melting" Gore holds to this belief is enough proof for me.

Quote:
Slavery was ended by the Union Army before any act of congress could terminate it.
Then it wasn't legal except under the force of a gun. Cowboy style diplomacy that your hero Geroge W Bush would be proud of.

Quote:
And in the 30's, NO amendments were used to give the Feds permission to alter our legal system from a basic precident-anchored one into a statue-based system.

That was done for the most basic of reasons: survival of the capitalist system.
Well, since capitalism was destroyed in the 30's by dumping the gold standard and creating an alphabet soup of socialized programs, I'd say it did a lousy job of "saving" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Sounds like an ABC (Anything but Cannabis) tenth amendment article. Medical marijuana alone is arguably one of the biggest single issues in states rights today and the article says nothing not even a mention. I wonder if it is because FOX news doesn't like that part of the tenth amendment.
I think that Obama might know a bit more about Constitutional law than Bush, or even Clinton did.

Quote:
“The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind," White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said.
DEA pot raids go on; Obama opposes - Washington Times

Understanding the role of the Fed in cases like these can help a great deal when it comes to legislation among the states. The states aren't the bad guys here, and Obama knows this. States, by and large, are legitimate and responsible, and Obama does well to recognize this.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Meh. Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

When you're one of the few sane people surrounded by crazy people in an asylum, the majority factor does not make those people any more sane.

The fact that Al "The earth is melting" Gore holds to this belief is enough proof for me.

Then it wasn't legal except under the force of a gun. Cowboy style diplomacy that your hero Geroge W Bush would be proud of.

Well, since capitalism was destroyed in the 30's by dumping the gold standard and creating an alphabet soup of socialized programs, I'd say it did a lousy job of "saving" it.
New Deal was capitalism's good angel: Comment | adn.com

New Deal was capitalism's good angel

It was in all the papers and textbooks.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
so 3/4 of the states are pissed about the obama election? That is how many are moving to reasert state rights.
Don't listen to Fox.

This movement has as much weight as does a gnat's fart.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
YOu know what is really funny to me is that these SAME cons who cry over the 10th Amendment are the same ones that want the Federal Government to get involved in "state's rights" when it comes to things like legal marijuana, Teri Shavio and other things.
Bingo!

Sarah Palin could see the irony from her window...... if she only had a brain.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Restoring states rights is just a first step in reclaiming our country. You cannot have everything at once, it must be brought to bear in time. Our society of "Me Me Me", and "I want it now" has got to stop. Slow methodical movements forward.

If states are restored there Constitutional rights, it will put power back closer to the people where it belongs. Once that happens, further structuring to ensure that moral and trust worthy people can be brought back into the realm of politics. Government Monetary compensation needs to be revised as well. If you put Power and Money in the same place, you will see that moral and just people will pull to the back unswayed by such "prizes" and the easily corruptible and self serving will fight until death to claim such prize. Bring the monetary compensation back to a reasonable level, let the congressman, governors, president get equal pay, and benefits as the average American, Remove the ability to vote raises for themselves, and I bet you will see the moral and trustworthy return to government.

Silly.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
New Deal was capitalism's good angel: Comment | adn.com

New Deal was capitalism's good angel

It was in all the papers and textbooks.
Because something is "in the textbooks" doesn't make it accurate. Hundreds of economists disagree along with several Nobel Prize winners, back when it meant something to win one.

We're straying from the main topic, but there's no doubt that capitalisms "good angel" is just a PR front. Capitalism was restricted with less sound money and more social programs which always distorts price discovery and the free market in general.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I think that Obama might know a bit more about Constitutional law than Bush, or even Clinton did.

DEA pot raids go on; Obama opposes - Washington Times

Understanding the role of the Fed in cases like these can help a great deal when it comes to legislation among the states. The states aren't the bad guys here, and Obama knows this. States, by and large, are legitimate and responsible, and Obama does well to recognize this.
Yup, and If I am not mistaken that was one of Obama's campaign promises as well. I am willing to take an educated guess that that was among the reasons why Obama and Paul did so well on college campuses relatively speaking. With that said I am still curious as to why the op article did not mention a peep about that.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yup, and If I am not mistaken that was one of Obama's campaign promises as well. I am willing to take an educated guess that that was among the reasons why Obama and Paul did so well on college campuses relatively speaking. With that said I am still curious as to why the op article did not mention a peep about that.
I think that we've been conditioned over the years to view drugs, any drugs, as a bad thing. There is a certain well defined controversy with regard to drugs, and Fox, chose to discuss some of the less controversal aspects of States Rights.

I think they were trying to avoid a pissing match between those who do and those who don't.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Don't listen to Fox.

This movement has as much weight as does a gnat's fart.
The majority of the states asserting their 10th amendment rights is that trivial? Seems even more powerful than the South's assertion against Northern aggression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies