Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

Yes, time to call it a night. Was terrific to have a real, civilized debate on this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Yes, time to call it a night. Was terrific to have a real, civilized debate on this. Thanks!
no, thank you. It was indeed welcoming as my bed is now lol.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post

your right, the government does not come up with reasons to deny you, they just do.
Wow, if that's not a bull's eye statement, I don't know what is. Right on target.

Sorry, can't rep you right now.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
made
Quote:
I know about PML, I know about the risks of Tysabri. BTW, there have only been 6 cases of PML since the introduction of tysabri to market. All have been found to have compromised immune systems prior to taking this. The UHC told her that she needed to try ALL of the treatments. She already knew none would work for her. she had been on Avonex, and Copaxone. Avonex is one of the interferons, which Betaseron, and Rebif belong. Why in hell did they think that the other Interferons would work when clearly they are just different doses of Avonex? but yet she went through HELL because the government thought they knew best. She went through two years of sever depression (which she had to take even more meds to attempt to counteract) and 24/7-365 flu symptoms. And then after all that mess she was approved for the Tysabri. Which by the way is working wonders with her. The government did not want to pay the bill for Tysabri, and wanted her to take the less expensive (if you call it that) treatments. Her and her Doctor knew the DMDs would NOT work for her, but the government did not want to hear that, they essentially forced her into taking them in which she went through hell, and progressed much quicker than she would had she been approved for Tysabri when she had asked for it.
The Govt does NOT decide on what drugs the Doctors prescribe in the UK. The Govt. just like the American FDA decide if a drug is safe or not.
Where do you get this idea that cost was the reason that madethe Doctors use whatever regime that they ( the Doctors) decided was needed for your Friend. It is so easy to blame the Govt for whatever happens in a Hospital but as far as Patient prognosis, diagnosis and treatment, it is the medical profesionals that make the decisions as opposed to the Health Insurance Companies in America who tell the Doctors what they will or will NOT pay for.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
made
The Govt does NOT decide on what drugs the Doctors prescribe in the UK. The Govt. just like the American FDA decide if a drug is safe or not.
Where do you get this idea that cost was the reason that madethe Doctors use whatever regime that they ( the Doctors) decided was needed for your Friend. It is so easy to blame the Govt for whatever happens in a Hospital but as far as Patient prognosis, diagnosis and treatment, it is the medical profesionals that make the decisions as opposed to the Health Insurance Companies in America who tell the Doctors what they will or will NOT pay for.
The UK system does have a gatekeeper through use of best Practices and protocols. And this means if a drug is deemed too expensive or that a person has to go thru/ x amount of time or trials using other methodologies or drugs b/f having access to one particular drug or therapy, there is no variance w/ the protocol. Docs can only do what is allowable - so if it is decided that MS patients will not have access to a particular drug until they are at a certain stage, that is that. The doc can't write the script.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The UK system does have a gatekeeper through use of best Practices and protocols. And this means if a drug is deemed too expensive or that a person has to go thru/ x amount of time or trials using other methodologies or drugs b/f having access to one particular drug or therapy, there is no variance w/ the protocol. Docs can only do what is allowable - so if it is decided that MS patients will not have access to a particular drug until they are at a certain stage, that is that. The doc can't write the script.
Protocal is very important for the safety of the patient. I agree that because of protocal that everyone cannot get everything that THEY want when they want it.
I would much rather be governed by protocal derived from ethical practice than be governed by how much loss/profit will be generated by the Doctor NOT giving a certain treatment. As i said no system is perfect but to have your health welfare determined by profit margins is soooo wrong on soooo many levels.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:45 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
That's the BS that rightwingers keep on repeating
for every issue, they have to use lies and fear tactics

That's why I opened this thread saying "I want socialized health insurance"
It has nothing to do with how, when, why, where, doctor's practice or how much they charge.
The issue is the f........ insurance companies (World's biggest thieves)

But rightwingers disguise their "pro-insurance companies" rhetoric with a bunch of lies about how the health care system will be run by the government/military.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's the BS that rightwingers keep on repeating
for every issue, they have to use lies and fear tactics

That's why I opened this thread saying "I want socialized health insurance"
It has nothing to do with how, when, why, where, doctor's practice or how much they charge.
The issue is the f........ insurance companies (World's biggest thieves)

But rightwingers disguise their "pro-insurance companies" rhetoric with a bunch of lies about how the health care system will be run by the government/military.
ANYONE who has used a UHC understands that your treatment is decided by your Doctor. ANYONE who uses a Private Health scheme understands that your treatment is allowed or declined by your Insurance Company and not your Doctor. Your Doctor can only give you what the Insurance Company will pay for.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
ANYONE who has used a UHC understands that your treatment is decided by your Doctor. ANYONE who uses a Private Health scheme understands that your treatment is allowed or declined by your Insurance Company and not your Doctor. Your Doctor can only give you what the Insurance Company will pay for.
I would like you to tell that to my friend directly, she was told BY THE GOVERNMENT, that she could NOT HAVE THE TREATMENT she wanted for her MS, until she tried al of the others that she knew would not work. She went through HELL, and progressed because of it.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I would like you to tell that to my friend directly, she was told BY THE GOVERNMENT, that she could NOT HAVE THE TREATMENT she wanted for her MS, until she tried al of the others that she knew would not work. She went through HELL, and progressed because of it.
Exactly how did the "Govt" tell your friend that she could not have Tysabri? Did they -phone her, send her a letter? That is not how the Govt works in the UK
There are strict guidlines as to when Tysabri can be administered. The Doctors who are treating your friend decide whether the drug should be given to her not the Govt. Tysabri has now been licenced and approved for use in the UK. This means that if your friends Doctors feel that she should get it then all the Doctor has to do is prescribe it. When did your friend first ask for it? There was a period when Tysabri was taken off the market in the UK due to side affects. There have been more studies done and Tysabri is now licenced again in the UK.
I have heard many patients give reasons as to why they do not recieve certain drugs and blaming the Govt. is something that happens in the USA but is creeping into the UK now. Many times the real reason is quite simply that the Doctors treating a patient decides on a different treatment to one being asked for by the patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies