Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Agree with the general sentiment, but we're talking about a mentally ill homeless woman, here. She was nearly 50 years old.
I'm not too sure how "consent" factors in, in such a situation.
She was probably just instinctively trying to survive... and kept trying, until she was locked in a cage in 108 degree heat for hours with no water and no escape, at which point she could survive no longer.
There should've been resources and help available to her long before things got to this point.
She was in a holding cell which are temporary. I'll bet they forgot about her being out there.

Perryville when detention officers who were transferring her to a detention unit placed her in an uncovered outdoor holding cell around 11 a.m. Tuesday, according to a news release from the DOC.

Powell arrived at the Perryville prison in August 2008.

Powell was placed alone in the cell while being moved to an onsite detention unit after seeing a prison psychologist.

Ryan said a disturbance at the detention unit prompted Powell's placement in the holding cell.

He would not elaborate on the nature of the disturbance.

DOC: Inmate Who Died Left In Heat Too Long - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:58 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
I think the headline should've mentioned that she was mentally retarded, as well as indigent, homeless, and mentally ill.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
She was in a holding cell which are temporary. I'll bet they forgot about her being out there.

Perryville when detention officers who were transferring her to a detention unit placed her in an uncovered outdoor holding cell around 11 a.m. Tuesday, according to a news release from the DOC.

Powell arrived at the Perryville prison in August 2008.

Powell was placed alone in the cell while being moved to an onsite detention unit after seeing a prison psychologist.

Ryan said a disturbance at the detention unit prompted Powell's placement in the holding cell.

He would not elaborate on the nature of the disturbance.

DOC: Inmate Who Died Left In Heat Too Long - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix
No, no, no. Forgetfulness is not allowed when human lives are at stake. IMO, the important question is WHY does a state like Arizona use CAGES out in the hot sun for holding any human beings for any period of time?

Florida is pretty bad, and even Florida doesn't use outdoor "cages" for inmates in this state. Geeeezzzz.

That woman basically got the death penalty for what reason? I really hope she has some relatives somewhere, or sombody out there, who will sue the pants off the Arizona Department of Corrections!! Wrongful death might be a good place to start.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Agree with the general sentiment, but we're talking about a mentally ill homeless woman, here. She was nearly 50 years old.
I'm not too sure how "consent" factors in, in such a situation.
She was probably just instinctively trying to survive... and kept trying, until she was locked in a cage in 108 degree heat for hours with no water and no escape, at which point she could survive no longer.
There should've been resources and help available to her long before things got to this point.
Ryan said officers gave Powell bottled water, as required under prison policy. Investigators will try to determine how much water she was given and whether she drank it.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I think the headline should've mentioned that she was mentally retarded, as well as indigent, homeless, and mentally ill.
I did not see indigent in the article did I miss that?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Pghquest has EVIL DEMONS OMG everyone look out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
How absolutely heartless. Keep banging your head against the wall there, pghquest. Cast out those evil demons.
Yes, I'm absolutely heartless when it comes down to discussing an individual I dont know. Not going to apoligize for not running to my room to cry on my gf's shoulders.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Ryan said officers gave Powell bottled water, as required under prison policy. Investigators will try to determine how much water she was given and whether she drank it.

This eyewitness account tells a different story:
Jon's Jail Journal

True, it's merely anecdotal... but which party has more motivation to lie?
Marcia's fellow inmate, or guards who stand to be charged with her death?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I did not see indigent in the article did I miss that?
The homeless are usually indigent, never seen one with money..

Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, I'm absolutely heartless when it comes down to discussing an individual I dont know. Not going to apologize for not running to my room to cry on my gf's shoulders.
"girlfriends" Most men would say lucky man!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The homeless are usually indigent, never seen one with money..
True.......... I was thinking of something else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies