Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 PM

190 posts, read 210,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Testing them in what way, exactly? I don't understand what you mean.
It was ironic humor: very religious people trying to get therapy (or more likely psychologically tormented into it by their uber-religious families) to "not be gay" and yet probably many of their same congregation indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality is not a natural proclivity -- therefore, the only conclusion that the religious folks conclude could be (illogically) that God was somehow "testing" that person['s faith] by making them gay (naturally).

Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
It was ironic humor: very religious people trying to get therapy (or more likely psychologically tormented into it by their uber-religious families) to "not be gay" and yet probably many of their same congregation indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality is not a natural proclivity -- therefore, the only conclusion that the religious folks conclude could be (illogically) that God was somehow "testing" that person['s faith] by making them gay (naturally).
Ah, okay. I get it now.

And I believe Ted Haggart did use that type of argument. He talked about the "demons" inside of him. One could get the impression that he was saying that homosexuality was a part of him, but he was trying to stop himself from indulging in it.

What a tortured existence. Ugh. Yes, sometimes it can suck to be gay (pun), but it's sad that it leads some people to feel so miserable about themselves.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times
Quote:
And think about this: What if a law was passed in the U.S. banning testing for sexual orientation? I can imagine pregnant women taking flights to other countries just to have the test done.

Or how about if the "womb therapy" was effective but cost-prohibitive for poor people to use? I can see homosexuality becoming even more stigmatized: If you're gay, not only are you a homosexual, you probably came from a poor family. Or if it were only affordable to the wealthy, the wealthy would "gain" (if you see homosexuality as disadvantage) yet another privilege over the rest of society.

I don't think the things I'm describing are that far-fetched. I really can see them happening.
These things aren't far-fetched at all and I'll bet I live long enough to see it all come true, and at best I've only got 15 years to go. I think the science is very close for determining what causes homosexuality.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,106 times
God doesn't make people "gay" or test them. There are people who participate in free willed activities that are not supported by God. There is no proof what so ever that anyone on this earth is born "gay" which leads one to draw a common sense conclusion: it can be changed. Those that scoff at the idea do not want to change nor do they want others to change as well. It would be much more convenient to sell a load of dung to the public that they "simply cannot help being gay and no one else can either" or my personal favorite..."there isn't a God if He doesn't accept my lifestyle". Hilarious!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I think the science is very close for determining what causes homosexuality.
I'm not sure how close we are, but the implications are going to be huge.

I'll take my prognostications one step further: I can see homosexuality being essentially eradicated in modern countries such as the U.S. It could become something that you only find in less-developed countries where the money isn't available to "cure" it - once again, leading to an even greater stigmatization of homosexuality.

If it's eliminated, however, what else will it eliminate? There are studies that show differences between gay men and straight men in the areas of communication and spatial/motor skills - gay men having better communication skills than straight men, and straight men having better spatial/motor skills than gay men. If homosexuality is eliminated, would it also eliminate those differences? And would it matter?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how close we are, but the implications are going to be huge.

I'll take my prognostications one step further: I can see homosexuality being essentially eradicated in modern countries such as the U.S. It could become something that you only find in less-developed countries where the money isn't available to "cure" it - once again, leading to an even greater stigmatization of homosexuality.
Could be that would happen over a lot of decades but that would be sad in a way. Some of the nicest, most colorful characters I've known in life have been gay. The opposite could happened, too, that the science would be so overwhelming and undeniable that even the fundamentalists would have to find a way around condemning homosexuality. And then people wouldn't feel so conflicted if given the choice in the womb that we've been talking about.

Are there any cultures, past or present, that does/did accept homosexuality as 'normal'? I seem to remember there being one or two but I'm having a brain fog right now.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-14-2009 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: extra word deleted

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Are there any cultures, past or present, that does/did accept homosexuality as 'normal'? I seem to remember there being one or two but I'm having a brain fog right now.
Sure, there have been cultures and communities that have certainly accepted it more than we do, although I'm not sure if it has been or could be considered "normal" by everyone. Greek culture is pretty well-known to have accepted homosexuality, but they didn't accept effeminate homosexuals. You can see parallels to that in our culture today. I've read countless comments on the internet that say things like, "I accept gays just fine, but I don't like the effeminate ones."

I've posted this on another current thread already, but I think it's appropriate to post it here as well. It's a good reminder of how homosexuality has always been around, but it's level of acceptability is often tenuous:

Timeline of LGBT history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lctd75 View Post
There is no proof what so ever that anyone on this earth is born "gay" which leads one to draw a common sense conclusion: it can be changed.
It cannot be changed. This has been studied to death. "Ex-gay therapy" has been a huge failure for the vast majority who have tried it.

Quote:
Those that scoff at the idea do not want to change nor do they want others to change as well. It would be much more convenient to sell a load of dung to the public that they "simply cannot help being gay and no one else can either"
No, some of us just trust the experts and organizations who have studied the issue for decades. I believe in science and research. Some people choose not to.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Interesting timeline/reading. Nice 'talking' to you!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lctd75 View Post
God doesn't make people "gay" or test them. There are people who participate in free willed activities that are not supported by God. There is no proof what so ever that anyone on this earth is born "gay" which leads one to draw a common sense conclusion: it can be changed. Those that scoff at the idea do not want to change nor do they want others to change as well. It would be much more convenient to sell a load of dung to the public that they "simply cannot help being gay and no one else can either" or my personal favorite..."there isn't a God if He doesn't accept my lifestyle". Hilarious!
I think this is the favored argument of those who are temped by that "choice" all the time, and are seeking - desperately seeking - to kill the urge in themselves.

Do you feel like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies