Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 PM

486 posts, read 983,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ain't it something to behold?

An aside;

It might say "whoops, browser settings.....", but the link works and the title of the thread is the same as the article.

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Yes, what exactly are they waiting for? Wait and see what? The world knows those elections were rigged.
Sanrene,
I understand you're upset about Obama's response. However, I don't know how much he can do on his own. Here is what anyone who wants to do something to be done about this can do -- there's a petition its going to be sent to the United Nations Secretary-General Mr. Ban Ki Moonto.
I found the petition on Twitter. In all honesty, I don't know if any president of any nation in the world can do much to influence Iran on their own. They haven't listened to us in the past, why would they do it now? The United Nations would be more appropiate to deal with this kind of situation. If you read # 24 on the following link: 60 Ways the UN Makes a Difference - Human Rights (http://www.un.org/un60/60ways/rights.html - broken link)
It talks about fair elections..
Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I understand the concern about Iran, but I wish we'd get out of other people's business for once. Yes, I agree President Obama should have a statement, but that is all. We've had our heads stuck in other countries for too long; we should not be the world's police. Frankly, I'm sick of us spending billions and billions of dollars for other countries. We need to concentrate on taking care of our own poor.

This **** poor policy of governing the world needs to end.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Being that Americans don't like other countries questioning what goes on here, why is it even necessary for our President to make any comments at all? Or would someone just like to give Iranians the chance to say that it's none of our business?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
In all honesty, I don't know if any president of any nation in the world can do much to influence Iran on their own.
Obama is not just any president in any nation around the world - he is the leader of the free world - or at least that's what the position used to be.

He can come out, along with the state dept and condemn the violence, brutality and murders of those protesting the elections.

That is what he can do - lead.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ain't it something to behold?

An aside;

It might say "whoops, browser settings.....", but the link works and the title of the thread is the same as the article.

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Yes, what exactly are they waiting for? Wait and see what? The world knows those elections were rigged.
Ok this seems to be a complicated idea so bare with me. Iran =/= United States, they are there own country they can run their own crap. I know how y'all neo-cons like to play world police, but an election in Iran is an Iranian matter the people of Iran will sort it out themselves. I doubt you would have been happy if the French, Chinese, Iranians and Indians decided they were going to get involved in every questionable US election.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-15-2009 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM

134 posts, read 151,159 times
Yes, he is a community organizer. Leader? Naw, whoever writes on the teleprompter is the leader.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
His speech writer is on Vay-Cay. Air Force One is flying him home pronto so he has something to say.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I'm more concerned with the political corruption going on here in America.....
And in agreement with one of the other posts, the best thing we can do is stay out of it!! Let the people of Iran decide who their new leader is and then we will see if it is someone we can talk to or not....
Well, for once we agree on a subject. Let Iran settle it's own future. The only thing we should do is ensure no outside force is brought into the equation, meaning no invasions by the local countries. The People of Iran will settle this for themselves and I believe we will see major changes not only with their government but in our relations with them. This could be a huge step forward for the entire region, I can assure you that Isreal and Irag are watching very closely, as we should.
Casper

Old 06-15-2009, 04:47 PM

315 posts, read 761,021 times
This is one instance where I agree with what obama is doing. I don't think americans need to be interfering with other country affairs any longer. It's best to let the people of iran and everywhere else solve their crisis on their own without america budding in.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
This is one instance where I agree with what obama is doing. I don't think americans need to be interfering with other country affairs any longer. It's best to let the people of iran and everywhere else solve their crisis on their own without america budding in.
Also if something legitimate does come out of this, it will be by Iran's doing and not the United States. This gives a lot more legitimacy to whatever movement comes out of this, and whatever pitfalls that movement sees won't be blamed on US involvement.

The only international body that should try anything in a case like this would be the UN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies