Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter what Obama says or how he feels. Nothing we can do about elections in Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Doesn't matter what Obama says or how he feels. Nothing we can do about elections in Iran.
Exactly. Meaningful change in government has to come from within. They don't want our help anyway.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Why do I get the impression that no matter what Obama says and does, some of the people here are going to disagree just because it's him?

I mean, seriously. If he had come out with a harshly worded reprimand immediately, do you really think the reaction would have been different? I think the same people would be calling him a warmonger, or complaining he didn't go far enough and he was just talking.

There's just no pleasing some people, I suppose. If the man said snow was white, they'd be calling him a liar.

gosh that sounds familiar. where have i heard that before.

Old government, New government. Both SUCK. just another "Post Turtle."next.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It is amazing that obama and the state department refuse to even condemn the bloody and brutal crackdown that is going on there.

Just incredible. Maybe he is doing a push poll to determine what his position should be.
Wonderful photos of a wonderful, freedom-loving and wanting Iran. Too bad you have to screw it up with your pointless partisanship.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
If anyone is interested in helping out from afar, there are directions on this page regarding setting up a proxy.

http://blog.austinheap.com/2009/06/1...s-for-windows/

My operating system won't let me run Squid - I'm looking for an alternative.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The Affirmative Action President is not being cowardly with his silence. He just does not want to offend his largest single campaign contributor - Iran.
I had no idea what might make anyone write a post that is the stuff of pure perverse fantasy........then I saw you were from Wasilla, Alaska and it all made sense.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I'm so confused by this thread.

Obama has condemned the violence.

He has acknowledged the sovereignty of a sovereign nation to choose its own leaders.

I find it so strange how conservatism has grown to be linked with an effort to control and manipulate the world to our liking. Where are the true conservatives and libertarians anymore?!?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Where was this outcry when the 2004 U.S. election was rigged?

Anyway - It doesn't get much better than this. Obama really knows how to strike the right tone for the occasion. The world is watching. What a great way to say so much, to empower so many, and yet say little more than a statement of fact.

Well done, chap.

Quote:
I am deeply troubled by the violence I have been seeing on television. I think the democratic process, free speech, the ability of people to peacefully dissent -- all those are universal values and need to be respected. And whenever I see violence perpetrated on people who are peacefully dissenting, and whenever the American people see that, I think they are troubled.

There appears to be a sense of people who were so hopeful and so engaged and so committed to democracy, who now feel betrayed, and I think it's important that moving forward, whatever investigations that take place are done in a way that does not result in bloodshed, and does not result in people being stifled, in expressing their views.

I would say to [The Iranian people] that the world is watching and inspired by their participation, regardless of what the ultimate outcome of the election was. And they should know that the world is watching.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Obama has condemned the violence.

He has acknowledged the sovereignty of a sovereign nation to choose its own leaders.

I find it so strange how conservatism has grown to be linked with an effort to control and manipulate the world to our liking. Where are the true conservatives and libertarians anymore?!?
He should condemn the violence. (edit :saw the post above)Good (though hardly praise worthy).

Yes he should acknowledge a nation the abilitiy to choose it's own leaders (once again, hardly praise worthy).

If the nation ISN'T being given the ability to choose it's own leaders, should he just be silent about it or should he speak out?

What about the manipulation inside of Iran instead of outside manipulation by us? You speak out against us supposedly manipulating, but what if it is from the inside? Silent about that?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
He should condemn the violence. I don't know of a link but if he did, good (though hardly praise worthy).

Yes he should acknowledge a nation the abilitiy to choose it's own leaders (once again, hardly praise worthy).

If the nation ISN'T being given the ability to choose it's own leaders, should he just be silent about it or should he speak out?

What about the manipulation inside of Iran instead of outside manipulation by us? You speak out against us supposedly manipulating, but what if it is from the inside? Silent about that?
You need to read between the lines. There is a message to Iran's leaders in what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies