Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times

Advertisements

Violence in Mexico, crumbling budgets build momentum for debate

Quote:
National polls show close to half of American adults are now open to legalizing pot — a constituency encompassing today's college students and the 60-something baby boomers who popularized the drug in their own youth. In California last month, a statewide Field Poll for the first time found 56 percent of voters supporting legalization.
Quote:
In a telephone interview, Kucinich noted that both Obama and former President Bill Clinton acknowledged trying marijuana.
"Apparently that didn't stop them from achieving their goals in life," Kucinich said. "We need to come at this from a point of science and research and not from mythologies or fears."
Legalize pot movement gains steam - Addictions- msnbc.com

---

Now this could very well be one of the best ideas since sliced bread ..

I don't smoke it (never have) but I can see taking the power away from the drug cartells, and, providing a tax base that may amount to billions of dollars nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I'm not into pot either, but I do think it should be legalized.

Look at the DEA's statement:
"Legalization of marijuana, no matter how it begins, will come at the expense of our children and public safety," says a DEA document. "It will create dependency and treatment issues, and open the door to use of other drugs, impaired health, delinquent behavior, and drugged drivers."
How can they make these arguments when tobacco and alcohol are legal? These slippery slope arguments are all red herrings. They're similar to the argument that allowing same-sex marriage is going to lead to people wanting to marry their pet iguanas.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Not in most states . The feds have decided to let sates decide for themsleves tho rather than fight the battle in such states as california.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
It may be that this recession/coming depression is exactly what it will take to force legalization.

The MOST important issues IMO are:

Potheads are NOT VIOLENT.

Not enough is being done to fight meth/coke/heroin.

Legalize pot and then the DEA will have a ton of extra time to spend on the most dangerous drugs. One of the main reasons pot is a "gateway" drug is that because it is illegal. Teens try it, realize it is nowhere near as bad as all of the bullsh*t they have been told, and then decide to try other things that are illegal as they now think they aren't as dangerous either. Not only that, but being exposed to scene of purchasing marijuana as an illegal substance SUBSTANTIALLY increases the likelihood that one will also encounter other illegal drugs for sale in the process, raising the lure when suddenly their pot guy is out of pot but happens to have a little coke available. If pot users were buying their weed legally, they would not get this crossover effect that a very big cause of the so called gateway phenomena.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm not into pot either, but I do think it should be legalized.

Look at the DEA's statement:
"Legalization of marijuana, no matter how it begins, will come at the expense of our children and public safety," says a DEA document. "It will create dependency and treatment issues, and open the door to use of other drugs, impaired health, delinquent behavior, and drugged drivers."
Ah yes ... a very feeble company line, designed to save a few jobs at the Fed ... no worries ..

Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
For almost 40 years we've been hearing this worn out message about marijuana as a gateway drug. Just a lot of BS. I've known many users who have never done any coke, crack, or heroin. There isn't any interest.
I've smoked and enjoyed. During my spare time I paint with acrylics and write. The weed sure jolts the creativity with loads of imagination. I have no intention of doing other drugs because I don't want to become lethargic.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not in most states . The feds have decided to let sates decide for themsleves tho rather than fight the battle in such states as california.
Absolutely ... The DEA is unconstitutional anyway, and all of those old dust farting liberals on the hill know it ...

Dealing with drugs has never been up to the Fed ... It's up to the states to decide..

Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I'm all for it being legal.
I probably wouldn't smoke it but I'm all for adults making that decision for themselves, just as they do with alcohol.

I think most people in Congress lack any guts to legalize it
I would at least like an end to federal raids in states that allow medicinal marijuana and going after people who participate in medical marijuana programs at this point in time. I don't think many Americans are quite ready for it to be legalized, lets wait until its about 60%. Plus some states are more comfortable with it than others.

I'm just not all that comfortable with the government regulating it.....
I'm afraid they'll do what they have done with the cigarettes.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM

134 posts, read 151,199 times
As a product of the hippie 60"s, I can tell you with certainty that you can damage your brain with long time pot use. 98% of us quit after a few years. All the long time users...are today either dead or they are almost useless. These people, my old friends, are stuck in a time warp and most of them are barely coherent. A good percentage of them are disabled.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Prohibition worked well, 70+ years ago, didn't it?

See any similarities to what is going on today?
They will never learn, from history. This is one of those, DUH! moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies