Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

What is the un-writable WORD your super liberal mother said!! I want to know.
This makes me laugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Obama 2012 baby! Hillary Clinton 2016, baby!
Hilary 2016? I hope she find something better to do.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Still happy.
He's going through a relative rough patch now in the polls - but considering the fact that the recession is just coming off it's deepest point and he's still around 50% he doing pretty darned well (Reagan bottomed out around 40% at a similar time). As the layoffs end and hiring picks up next year those numbers will climb back to 60% or so.
I expect he will win again in 2012.

Ken

Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I voted for him.

Still happy.

I don't understand the problem the left and Democrats are having tonight. He SAID Afghanistan was the goal during his campaign. I don't like war but if it has to happen, it does.

I am against the Iraq war. In my opinion, we never should have been there.
I don't get this splitting of hairs with respect to the continuance of either war.

I also don't understand the purpose of continuing to send troops to Afghanistan?

What specific purpose does it serve?

What are we trying to accomplish at this point?

Are we going to attempt to make Johnny al Qaeda into Thomas Jefferson over there?

I don't see how Afghanistan is the right war and Iraq is the wrong war unless we are buying into the "few bad apples" fairy tale.

Iraq was certainly in a far better position to seriously hurt us and just as committed.

Other than the obvious political battle axe it became for Democrats and ultimately Obama, why is killing the people who hate us in Afghanistan justified while killing the people who hate us in Iraq is not?

We aren't killing the people who pulled off 9/11 in either country since they either died on the planes, got captured or fled to Pakistan.

This is becoming Viet Nam again. By that I mean that we seem to have no mission to accomplish that will signal the end to our involvement.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I have no problem with my vote, and still do not, especially when I look at who my alternative was. Additionally, Obama always supported the Afghanistan war, moreso that I do, so that has not changed from his campaign either.

Has there been things Obama has done that have been disappointing? Absolutely, but I sure as hell don't wish I could go back in time and vote for McCain/Palin instead.

I know it is popular for the right to ask 'don't you regret voting for Obama, don't you wish you could go back and change your vote?' the moment he does something disappointing. I can only assume it is because they have some collective delusion that those on the left will suddenly become rabid right-wingers the moment Obama does something they don't like. It is a delusion that I've never understood, and it is false.

I would agree with you that the left will not abandon Obama since he leans so far left. But liberals and conservatives don't decide elections; moderates do. Right now, the loss of support the Democrats have experienced has come from independents. What I hear independents saying is Obama is no different than Bush, and you have to agree that he has followed most of Bush's policies in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the end of the day, talk is cheap.

Doesn't really matter since he's a one-termer anyway. Reagan recovered from low approval ratings because he understood the significance of a strong dollar to economic expansion. That lesson seems lost on BO. Our current weak dollar strategy may provide a small bump in manufacturing in the short run, but the price we'll all pay in higher inflation and soaring interst rates will eclipse any gains. Remember too, Carter was a net job creator, but his weak dollar strategy came home to roost in the form of stagflation before his first term was complete. People always vote their pocket book.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Maybe I'm missing something.
As a matter of fact you are, but explaining it to you would be futile.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
I would agree with you that the left will not abandon Obama since he leans so far left. But liberals and conservatives don't decide elections; moderates do. Right now, the loss of support the Democrats have experienced has come from independents. What I hear independents saying is Obama is no different than Bush, and you have to agree that he has followed most of Bush's policies in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the end of the day, talk is cheap.

Doesn't really matter since he's a one-termer anyway. Reagan recovered from low approval ratings because he understood the significance of a strong dollar to economic expansion. That lesson seems lost on BO. Our current weak dollar strategy may provide a small bump in manufacturing in the short run, but the price we'll all pay in higher inflation and soaring interst rates will eclipse any gains. Remember too, Carter was a net job creator, but his weak dollar strategy came home to roost in the form of stagflation before his first term was complete. People always vote their pocket book.
Im curious? what should he be doing different right now in terms of the economy? Please dont just say cut taxes because no taxes have been raised and GW did that and still this mess. I dont have an answer but im curious as to what people who seem to be against the Presidents plan can offer in real substance.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:

People always vote their pocket book.
Nonsense. The average Republican never does. They vote the ultra-rich's pocketbooks, but never their own.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
I voted for Obama but I'm on the fence with his job performance. I don't think he has been in office long enough for anyone to really judge how well or horrible he has done.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I will say for the record that I am NOT a Democrat and I am NOT a Republican. In the last election I supported Dennis Kucinich until he dropped out, and from that point on, I did not feel comfortable about supporting any of the candidates.

My mother, on the other hand, is a die-hard Democrat. She would vote for a pile of dog poo if it had a picture of a donkey on it. Not only did she vote for Barack, but she campaigned for him, and volunteered at the local poling place. She was very active during his run and was cheering him on the day he took the prize.

Keeping this in mind, lately she has not been very happy with his performance. Oh yes, she is all for the Universal Health Care, because it helps "poor people" (whatever!), and she is all for Welfare, and Food Stamps and hand outs for the same reason and she doesn't mind Illegal Aliens because they are "just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family" (whatever!), etc. You get the picture.

But this Afghanistan thing has her a little ticked off at the old boy. My mom does NOT like war (me neither) and she does NOT like higher taxes (me neither) and it is starting to look like Obama is playing the same political games that his predecessors have played for the past 100 years or so.

She actually called her beloved candidate an "unprintable" word today when we were talking about the war.

It got me thinking.... I wonder how many other die-hard Democrats are unhappy with their head Kahuna? How many of them feel that he has Jumped the Shark?

I'd love to hear your comments in this vein.

20yrsinBranson
The only thing Im disappointed about is that he constantly tries to work with the right. They hate him no matter what he does and so he should ignore them totally. The rights strategy is go against everything he does no matter what. Convince independents to vote for them again and then continue to make policy after policy for rich coperate America. He should ignore or seek to destroy the GOP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies